Rivalry Game(s)

Tigers_07

Ridgeview vs. Wise Central Wheeeeeeeeeeee!  Lol

In the Mountain 7, Gate City vs. Union almost always delivers a classic regardless of the records involved.  I guess, especially after the hard feelings in basketball season last year, Gate City vs. Abingdon could get interesting this year as well.  Abingdon really isn't a rival of anyone in the Mountain except for maybe Gate City, but Union vs. Abingdon should be great as well.

15 hours ago, GustheGuesser said:

There is only one rivalry game in our area, Bluefield vs Graham lol

Maybe from the pageantry side of it, but on the field, the games haven't really been close for a while at this point with a few exceptions. I want to see that game one day before I die, just so I can experience it myself. 

But as far as on the field action and drama, there is no better rivalry than Richlands/Union. 6 games split between the two and only 13 points of separation total are going to be impossible to beat. 

21 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

Maybe from the pageantry side of it, but on the field, the games haven't really been close for a while at this point with a few exceptions. I want to see that game one day before I die, just so I can experience it myself. 

But as far as on the field action and drama, there is no better rivalry than Richlands/Union. 6 games split between the two and only 13 points of separation total are going to be impossible to beat. 

That 23-21 game was as thrilling a game and finish to a high school football game as you'll ever see (outside the Union/Richlands matchups, of course).  Too much of a "track meet" feel in the last few.

When Graham and Bluefield are both loaded, though...there's no better atmosphere in high school football.

1 minute ago, UVAObserver said:

That 23-21 game was as thrilling a game and finish to a high school football game as you'll ever see (outside the Union/Richlands matchups, of course).  Too much of a "track meet" feel in the last few.

When Graham and Bluefield are both loaded, though...there's no better atmosphere in high school football.

I agree. That's the best when they are both on top of it. But the last decade has either been Bluefield dominating or Graham dominating (outside of the 23-21 game). 

Bluefield - Graham is the best. Played every year since 1938. Come to see it. Party starts at 10 a.m. Tailgating, live music, radio station remote broadcasts. When any other game can claim that then come talk.

Great rivalries that are just a cut below but still great.

Richlands-Tazewell: I know it hasn't meant much lately but this goes back to 1926. Played every year but 1943 when the war caused the board to drop teams at Tazewell and Richlands. For whatever reason Tazewell has always put more emphasis on the Richlands game than Graham.

Bluefield - Princeton - goes back to 1924. How many schools can say that they were actually banned from playing each other in any sport for four full years? Bluefield and Princeton were not allowed to play anything from 1966-1969 due to the intense rivalry with misbehavior on the field/court and in the stands.

Virginia High - Tennessee High - Goes back to about 1915?  This would be right there with Bluefield-Graham if the Bearcats were better and if the festivities were there. There was a time when they shared the same field until Gene Malcolm came along. 

Honaker - Lebanon - I attended one of these once and it surprised me the level of animosity towards each other. Got a lot better when Honaker got better.

Abingdon - Marion - played every year usually at the end of the season and the series is very close.

Some other good ones.

Twin Springs - Rye Cove

Narrows - Giles

Galax - Grayson

George Wythe - Radford

Giles - Blacksburg

And then those that have died.

Appalachia - Powell Valley - every bit as good as Bluefield-Graham. Such a shame it is gone.

Welch - Gary - The battle for the barrel. Always played on Thanksgiving in the early days and Veterans Day in later days. Bands, Cheerleaders ,etc were in the parade and then went to the game.

J. J. Kelly - J. I. Burton.  Again such a shame it is gone

Haysi - Clintwood

Because of consolidation and district changes, I think there may only be two true "rivalry" games left in our area; Virginia High/Tennessee High and Graham/Bluefield. These games have the requisite age and history. But, with all due respect to Virginia High, Tennessee High, Graham, and Bluefield, I offer to this court of posted opinion that SWVA's greatest rivalry game was Powell Valley/Appalachia. The proximity of the schools, span of time, and the quality of the contests produced a gridiron legacy that is impossible to equal. During a particular period of this rivalry game, played the last week of the regular season every year, the contest involved defending and/or eventual state champions an amazing fifteen times. The football fans at Bullitt Park back in 1997 could offer recollections of that year's Vikings & Bulldogs game as sufficient evidence in defense of my allegation. It was the greatest game between these greatest of rivals. Video of the Vikings celebration after the game still makes Bulldog fans furious. Can I get a summary judgment?

2 hours ago, Bluefield researcher said:

Richlands-Tazewell: I know it hasn't meant much lately but this goes back to 1926. Played every year but 1943 when the war caused the board to drop teams at Tazewell and Richlands. For whatever reason Tazewell has always put more emphasis on the Richlands game than Graham.

The reason probably has something to do with the fact that Graham has historically been pummeling both Tazewell and Richlands and/or they've been too preoccupied with Beaver to give a lot of thought to other rivalries.

The Blues-Dawgies rivalry has lost some of its luster since the two programs took on such radically different trajectories this century.  It was a fun level of hatred once upon a time.  For instance, we started the 1984 football season 1-5 but a lot of folks weren't terribly upset because the one win was against Tazewell.  The long drought in the series immediately thereafter is a stain that three different graduating classes (including mine) bear shamefully.

And on a personal note, one of my best friends just married a Tazewell grad.  She's a lovely gal, I'm happy for them, and I certainly wish them all the best.  But I've got to be honest in that I'm struggling more than a little bit with accepting this "mixed marriage."  And I still have a general aversion to green as a primary color for any athletic team.

2 hours ago, Bluefield researcher said:

Bluefield - Graham is the best. Played every year since 1938. Come to see it. Party starts at 10 a.m. Tailgating, live music, radio station remote broadcasts. When any other game can claim that then come talk.

Great rivalries that are just a cut below but still great.

Bluefield - Princeton - goes back to 1924. How many schools can say that they were actually banned from playing each other in any sport for four full years? Bluefield and Princeton were not allowed to play anything from 1966-1969 due to the intense rivalry with misbehavior on the field/court and in the stands.

Virginia High - Tennessee High - Goes back to about 1915?  This would be right there with Bluefield-Graham if the Bearcats were better and if the festivities were there. There was a time when they shared the same field until Gene Malcolm came along. 

Honaker - Lebanon - I attended one of these once and it surprised me the level of animosity towards each other. Got a lot better when Honaker got better.

Abingdon - Marion - played every year usually at the end of the season and the series is very close.

Some other good ones.

Twin Springs - Rye Cove

Narrows - Giles

Galax - Grayson

George Wythe - Radford

Giles - Blacksburg

And then those that have died.

Appalachia - Powell Valley - every bit as good as Bluefield-Graham. Such a shame it is gone.

Welch - Gary - The battle for the barrel. Always played on Thanksgiving in the early days and Veterans Day in later days. Bands, Cheerleaders ,etc were in the parade and then went to the game.

J. J. Kelly - J. I. Burton.  Again such a shame it is gone

Haysi - Clintwood

Giles-Narrows isn't a rivalry anymore....one team hasn't won since 1992 and has been time to consolidate...but not happening

This game is nothing more than a social gathering

Just now, Hokiebird7 said:

Giles-Married isn't a rivalry anymore....one team hasn't won since 1992 and been time to consolidate...but not happening

This game is nothing more than a social gathering

But they still gather. Surprises me how it survives but it does.

37 minutes ago, Hokiebird7 said:

It survives because the entire county shows up together one Friday a year to watch a game that's usually over by mid 22nd quarter

Holy hell! That's a LOOONNNGGGG game. ;)

If you're talk it, at least get your facts right.  Narrows' last 3 wins were 1990 (Giles school record for fewest total yards in a game and Narrows record for fewest total yards allowed with 6), 1991 (last Narrows win in Pearisburg), and 2002.  

As far as consolidation goes, we've done had this discussion plenty.  

8 minutes ago, SW_VA_boy said:

If you're talk it, at least get your facts right.  Narrows' last 3 wins were 1990 (Giles school record for fewest total yards in a game and Narrows record for fewest total yards allowed with 6), 1991 (last Narrows win in Pearisburg), and 2002.  

As far as consolidation goes, we've done had this discussion plenty.  

Sorry dude I meant 2002....but does it really matter if it was 2002 or 1992? I mean it's been so long since little brother tasted victory what's the difference?

If you guys would change your mind about consolidation then maybe it will happen...but don't look like that's ever happening

2 hours ago, Hokiebird7 said:

I mean it's been so long since little brother tasted victory what's the difference?

Add to this being a UVa fan and rivalry games have been pissing me off for years. At least, like the Hoos and Hokies, the rivalry is much more competitive in everything else. 

7 hours ago, SW_VA_boy said:

Add to this being a UVa fan and rivalry games have been pissing me off for years. At least, like the Hoos and Hokies, the rivalry is much more competitive in everything else. 

Not everything else.

VT's women's lacrosse hasn't ever beaten UVA, in 18 matches.  VT's men's tennis hasn't beaten UVA since before I went to college.  VT's women's basketball is 2-22 in its last 24 against UVA, including a 76-27 beatdown of a #19 VT in Blacksburg last year.  VT men's basketball is 3-11 against UVA in the Tony Bennett era.  Until Mark Bernadino's exit, neither of VT's swimming/diving programs were in the same universe as UVA's.  Neither VT golf program has been competitive with UVA this decade.  I'm not even counting baseball, where VT has outperformed itself in the rivalry but still falls well short of UVA (3-11 in the O'Connor era).

There's a whole bunch of lopsidedness in this rivalry, but it largely favors UVA.  The only two sports that really favor VT on a consistent basis are football and softball.  That's it.

10 hours ago, Hokiebird7 said:

Sorry dude I meant 2002....but does it really matter if it was 2002 or 1992? I mean it's been so long since little brother tasted victory what's the difference?

If you guys would change your mind about consolidation then maybe it will happen...but don't look like that's ever happening

So if consolidation happens then Narrows might win???