Richlands vs Graham

#1BLUESFAN

This should be a good game. Both teams seem to be improving. Defensively, Graham seems to be playing better as of late. This game could go down to the wire. If it comes down to special teams, give the edge to Richlands. It seems Graham has struggled and little bit with long snapping. I'm pretty excited to see this game. I agree, I don't much care for Thursday night games either. 

I'll say Graham wins by 10.🤞

6 minutes ago, Goat said:

I’d like to see a team brave enough to kick it to Cam Allen on kick return... I wanna see what he can do with it 

why would they? It's downright silly to give a playmaker of his ability to get the ball in the open field.

it's the same reason teams stopped punting to James Mitchell last year after he scored 4-5 PR TDs. Don't give a teams best weapon that kind of chance.

Richlands will be better prepared for this game than Graham.  Coaching advantage goes to Richlands.  Talent advantage goes to Graham.  Allen and Lester will need to make some big plays for Graham to win, but they are very capable.  Should be a good one.

6 hours ago, Goat said:

I’d like to see a team brave enough to kick it to Cam Allen on kick return... I wanna see what he can do with it 

I think you confused the word “brave” with the word “stupid.” lol. No one is kicking to Cam on purpose. 

I won't make a pick on this one, I have family on both teams and wish all the players the best.  Always a hard fought game, and this one will be no different.  Tighten up the chin straps and be prepared to get hit, should be a good one.

11 hours ago, Real Sasquatch said:

Richlands will be better prepared for this game than Graham.  Coaching advantage goes to Richlands.  Talent advantage goes to Graham.  Allen and Lester will need to make some big plays for Graham to win, but they are very capable.  Should be a good one.

This but will add in the factor of Graham lacking the discipline.  Graham should win but I look for a grinding run by Richlands to give them a fight. 

11 hours ago, Real Sasquatch said:

At what point does the Graham coaching staff gain an advantage in the coaching department? Will it take a state championship, a game without and 15 yard penalties, or what some would call a program changing win? If so, who would that program changing win be against. Graham has just as many wins as Richlands and Bluefield since 2015 when the coaching change occurred. Before I get bashed, let me note that I "KNOW" Coach Mance and Coach Simon are great coaches. 

35 minutes ago, JGray said:

At what point does the Graham coaching staff gain an advantage in the coaching department? Will it take a state championship, a game without and 15 yard penalties, or what some would call a program changing win? If so, who would that program changing win be against. Graham has just as many wins as Richlands and Bluefield since 2015 when the coaching change occurred. Before I get bashed, let me note that I "KNOW" Coach Mance and Coach Simon are great coaches. 

Fred Simon has been coaching Bluefield since the Challenger explosion.  Greg Mance has been coaching Richlands since the Clinton administration.  Those are two coaches who have seen almost everything; adjusted to almost everything; and have won almost everything.  In order to be playing in December (unless you luck up in a year like 2004 or 2013), you have to go through the Greg Mances and the Travis Turners of the world to get there.  Palmer’s not at that level...yet.  I’ve seen nothing to suggest that he can’t get there.  However, I would like to see more even-headed and consistent play.  The Union game last year was disappointing not for the loss, but the manner in which the loss happened.  Same for the Richlands games in 2016.  Those are program-defining moments.  Again, I have the faith he can get there.

1 hour ago, UVAObserver said:

Fred Simon has been coaching Bluefield since the Challenger explosion.  Greg Mance has been coaching Richlands since the Clinton administration.  Those are two coaches who have seen almost everything; adjusted to almost everything; and have won almost everything.  In order to be playing in December (unless you luck up in a year like 2004 or 2013), you have to go through the Greg Mances and the Travis Turners of the world to get there.  Palmer’s not at that level...yet.  I’ve seen nothing to suggest that he can’t get there.  However, I would like to see more even-headed and consistent play.  The Union game last year was disappointing not for the loss, but the manner in which the loss happened.  Same for the Richlands games in 2016.  Those are program-defining moments.  Again, I have the faith he can get there.

Why are 2004 and 2013 considered luck up years?

7 hours ago, Flanker87 said:

Why are 2004 and 2013 considered luck up years?

In 2004, R4D3 had probably its weakest year ever.  You had a 9-1 Grundy team that was the victim of one of the biggest screw jobs in SWVA history against a 4-6 Virginia High team in Round 1.  You had two mediocre (putting it kindly) Tazewell and Graham teams sitting at 6-4 and 5-5 respectively in the #2 and #3 spots.  Tazewell beat Graham 19-13 in a very poorly played game in Round 1 (also known as Carlock’s last game).  Tazewell then beat Virginia High 26-7 in another poorly played game in Round 2.  Tazewell won R4D3 and got boatraced by a Gretna team that obviously overlooked them yet still won handily.  Tazewell ended up making it to December by playing 2 playoff teams with a combined record of 10-13.  And that Tazewell team was 6-4, winning 3 games by 2 points or fewer (Carroll County, Graham [1st game], VHS [1st game]).  

2013 was not AS weak, but it was pretty much Giles, Gate City, and everyone else.

I was confused at first too, but then remembered 2004 was before reclassification because Region D Div. 2 was super competitive, a very good GC team and a PV team that is still last team from BSG to play for state title, losing to Manassas Park by a TD. GC was 10-2, both losses to PV (one home, one away), PV was 12-2, beating a bad Rye Cove team that had no business in D2, then GC, then routed a 10-win Giles team.  

2013 Union wasn't bad, just completely shit the bed against GC in playoffs after crushing them in regular season. Union was 9-3 overall.

18 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

I was confused at first too, but then remembered 2004 was before reclassification because Region D Div. 2 was super competitive, a very good GC team and a PV team that is still last team from BSG to play for state title, losing to Manassas Park by a TD. GC was 10-2, both losses to PV (one home, one away), PV was 12-2, beating a bad Rye Cove team that had no business in D2, then GC, then routed a 10-win Giles team.  

2013 Union wasn't bad, just completely shit the bed against GC in playoffs after crushing them in regular season. Union was 9-3 overall.

2004 region C was absolutely awful...Giles beat John Battle in the region championship badly and frankly Giles wasn't very good at all that year...then got beaten badly against a very good PV team

10 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

Sorry ! But he has a long way to go! That Union game last season will hang over his head a long time! ☹️

13 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

This...

An honest post from a proven fair poster here. Your reputation is cemented here and a post like this is why I respect you greatly.

My opinion of course.

16 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

In 2004, R4D3 had probably its weakest year ever.  You had a 9-1 Grundy team that was the victim of one of the biggest screw jobs in SWVA history against a 4-6 Virginia High team in Round 1.  You had two mediocre (putting it kindly) Tazewell and Graham teams sitting at 6-4 and 5-5 respectively in the #2 and #3 spots.  Tazewell beat Graham 19-13 in a very poorly played game in Round 1 (also known as Carlock’s last game).  Tazewell then beat Virginia High 26-7 in another poorly played game in Round 2.  Tazewell won R4D3 and got boatraced by a Gretna team that obviously overlooked them yet still won handily.  Tazewell ended up making it to December by playing 2 playoff teams with a combined record of 10-13.  And that Tazewell team was 6-4, winning 3 games by 2 points or fewer (Carroll County, Graham [1st game], VHS [1st game]).  

2013 was not AS weak, but it was pretty much Giles, Gate City, and everyone else.

Cant argue, I was there playing and lived it haha. Good point. 

14 hours ago, BigWinners said:

A bad RC team?  The game was 7-6 with a minute to go in the 3rd quarter.  Yes, RC should not have been D2.  Most likely they win D1 if they are there that year.  RC gave PV more of a fight in the playoffs than the Region C champs did.  Yes I am sure PV overlooked them, but RC didnt just roll over and let PV dominate them either.