Shanghai Nickles

HaysiHigh1969

So long as Ridgeview does not have Clintwoods PA anouncer LOL

Some of my faverir head slap moments from him were as follows

5) Mispronouncing all three of the Daily kids names every game of every year they were in HS

4) While anounceing the starting line up for Appy (think it was Appy) gives the name and position of all the Clintwood players

3) Repedadly calling the Volenteer Falcons the Volenteer Volenteers

2) After a play resulting in a lose of yards anounceing a nice gain

1) Smokeing while informing the public that there is no smokeing allowed inside the stadiem while smokeing LOL

The funniest thing I have ever seen at any athletic event.  Galax at Grayson in 2011.  Final regular season game of the year and both teams were undefeated.  During the first half, Grayson students went through the estimated 8,000 fans selling half and half tickets.  Everyone on the Galax side was sold red tickets and everyone on the Grayson side was sold green tickets.  The PA announcer for Grayson, Jackie Phipps, made sure to remind the Grayson faithful NOT to purchase any red tickets.  He made this announcement every 5 minutes for the entire first half. 

Only green tickets were used for the halftime drawing.  It was classic and adds fuel to an already heated fire between county and city residents locally.

Jackie is famous for saying the same two lines the whole game, every game in his high pitched, nasally whine.

5) Mispronouncing all three of the Daily kids names every game of every year they were in HS

4) While anounceing the starting line up for Appy (think it was Appy) gives the name and position of all the Clintwood players

1) Smokeing while informing the public that there is no smokeing allowed inside the stadiem while smokeing LOL

I remember him calling Union "the Burrs." I have to tell my wife (a Volunteer grad) about #3.

First Time I heard him, I thought it was Larry the Cable Guy.

The PA announcer from Marion last season was a doozy! Throughout the course of the Marion/Union game he called two penalties that the officials didn't even throw a flag on and called 3 plays for Marion 1st downs when they were a good 2 yards short! Not that it made a difference, Union was outmatched that game but it was pretty comical to witness!

As far as favorites, Ken Crowder at JI Burton has always done a great job! He's probably tops on my list! Great voice, fair and unbiased.

The PA announcer from Marion last season was a doozy! Throughout the course of the Marion/Union game he called two penalties that the officials didn't even throw a flag on and called 3 plays for Marion 1st downs when they were a good 2 yards short! Not that it made a difference, Union was outmatched that game but it was pretty comical to witness!

As far as favorites, Ken Crowder at JI Burton has always done a great job! He's probably tops on my list! Great voice, fair and unbiased.

I don't know if Central has the same guy Kelly had but that guy was totally biased. Powell Valley has been 40-50 points ahead and Kelly would score and the announcer acted as if Kelly had won the state championship. Comical. 

Phil Lee at Union is usually unbiased.

Crowder at Burton is good. 

I can't remember for sure.....but I'm thinking it was Lee's announcer that would call a 3rd down & 7 " a short 3rd and 7" if it was Lee's ball but the opposing team he usually said something like "we've got a long 2nd & 2 coming up". Only guy I've ever seen to claim 7-10 yards a short down. I'd have a bawl watching the chain gang look back and forth at each other.

I can't remember for sure.....but I'm thinking it was Lee's announcer that would call a 3rd down & 7 " a short 3rd and 7" if it was Lee's ball but the opposing team he usually said something like "we've got a long 2nd & 2 coming up". Only guy I've ever seen to claim 7-10 yards a short down. I'd have a bawl just watching the chain gang look back and forth at each other when he reeled off on of these classic comments.

I don't know if Central has the same guy Kelly had but that guy was totally biased. Powell Valley has been 40-50 points ahead and Kelly would score and the announcer acted as if Kelly had won the state championship. Comical. 

Phil Lee at Union is usually unbiased.

Crowder at Burton is good. 

We played at Eastridge one year and it was a beating but they finally had a nice play,I think a misdirection run that was the only misdirection play they had ran the whole night, anyway their announcer (as loud as he could) said "FIRST DOWWWWWWWWWWWWNN....... WARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRIORSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!".  You woulda thought they had just won the superbowl.

Crowder is very good

We played at Eastridge one year and it was a beating but they finally had a nice play,I think a misdirection run that was the only misdirection play they had ran the whole night, anyway their announcer (as loud as he could) said "FIRST DOWWWWWWWWWWWWNN....... WARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRIORSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!".  You woulda thought they had just won the superbowl.

Crowder is very good

Heck the Clintwood announcer would seem to get more excited when the visiting team would do something posative

Back when Teddy Cooper (RIP) was the PA anouncer for Hurley. Didnt matter Hurley was quite terrible during those years he made the games worth going to. My favorite was when someone from Hurley broke off a long run he would say "watch him run like a deer"

I loved watching games at Clintwood. It sounded like the Darlings from Andy Griffith in the pressbox and they also had a treehouse in one endzone and the guys in it would cuss at the visiting fans.