Abingdon changing Districts

Johnnie B

I agree with the entire post for the most part.  The Outliers is a good read but I don't agree with all of it.  Steven Peoples graduated from Galax at 17.  Would an extra year in high school benefited him?  The year he spent at Fork Union was much more a benefit than an extra year at Galax could ever have been.

Great example. 

There's also the matter of genetics and physical form.  Nobody seems to want to acknowledge it, but it's probably the single biggest determinant for placement of athletes.  Peoples is actually a good example there as well.  As much attention as he attracted from recruiters based on his pure effort, he probably would have had a lot more offers if he were a few inches taller.  A 5'8" running back is not an obvious fit for very many Division I offensive systems.  Fork Union also probably gave him a more compelling venue in which to demonstrate that he could perform against potential Division I talent.

As much as I dig Gladwell, I think that his argument in "Outliers" is applicable to children in youth sports -- particularly in the very beginning stages.  But its utility does diminish significantly beyond that -- and there seems to be no applicability for it to the academic setting (as evidenced by the excellent link you shared).

My goodness BigO!!!!!!!! I for one along with many of the Richlands fans have been very positive and respectful of Abingdon and all the progress you guys have made. We didn't get on here after the game and thump our chests. YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We are better with those players. I don't know what else you guys want. Do you want us to say.....well if we didn't have those Abingdon would have kicked our butts? Well I'm not going to say that because I don't think you would have but that's just my opinion.

We beat you guys in every phase of the game. You guys had 12 yards of total rushing. You guys have maybe the best QB in the state and a heck of a wide receiver in Yates. Fannon and Doss are very good line men and you have a very good linebacker I can't remember his name. Abingdon has a GREAT offense and an average defense and that is where you will have trouble. You can score on anybody. I

I just don't understand what you want us to do. The other 53 boys on the team don't deserve the constant butthurt and crying about transfers. Are you saying we wouldn't be no good if it wasn't for them? I personally don't know how good we would be but we would be pretty doggone good I will say.

I'm done with this subject because you will never win ......when you are on our side. Its just a shame the other boys have to listen to this because they constantly hear it. I wish we would never get another one...Honestly. But that want happen. With our facilities and tradition it will continue. So I will just keep my mouth shut about this subject from here on and just let you and others badger us deservedly or not.

I wish your Falcons the best and a big run in the playoffs.!

Very well stated Razor......exactly the way i feel and my reason for not joining in on this conversation......until now.  I said in another thread about this that I wasn't going to argue with anybody about this anymore because it does exactly what they want,  it gets under our skin,  so it's best to just let it go.   We can't win because if we respond,  then they always come back and say,  Don't be so sensitive,  or I'm not judging, or what ever so best to just let it and keep on kicking butt !

Kids will continue to want to come here as long as we are the flavor of the month and have a stable well run program with the fan base and facilities we have so this will continue into the foreseeable future.  There will come a time when we are not the favored program around here and somebody else will be and the kids will stop wanting to come here and will go to the next flavor of the month.  That's the way it was, is and always will be. 

Well guys,  I've had a close relative of mine just passed suddenly of a massive heart attack at a young age  ( 57 )  in Montgomery Ala and I will be driving down there this evening.   She was a 1st cousin of mine but we were raised together while her dad served in the war in the 60's so we were more like brother and sister.   I will probably be gone for about a week so I probably wont be posting on here until I get back.

Please keep our family in your prayers !

Safe travels to everyone to and from the games,   it's at times like this that you realize just how unimportant some things are in life and how important other things should be......like family !

Later

Well guys,  I've had a close relative of mine just passed suddenly of a massive heart attack at a young age  ( 57 )  in Montgomery Ala and I will be driving down there this evening.   She was a 1st cousin of mine but we were raised together while her dad served in the war in the 60's so we were more like brother and sister.   I will probably be gone for about a week so I probably wont be posting on here until I get back.

Safe travels to everyone to and from the games,   it's at times like this that you realize just how unimportant some things are in life and how important other things should be......like family !

Later

Very sorry for your loss. You will definitely be in my thoughts and prayers. May God give you and your family peace, comfort, and strength during this difficult time.

Gentlemen, the future...

Mountain - Lee, GC, Rv, Lebanon, Battle, Union, Central, Abingdon

Southwest - VAHigh, Grundy, Richlands, Tazewell, Marion, Graham, Carroll, ??Grayson??

New Name AA District - Floyd, Giles, Glenvar, James River, Martinsville, ?FC?

New Name A District - Hurley, TV, Honaker, NW, Holston, PH, (Council)

Cumberland - Tom Walker, Rye Cove, Twin Springs, JI Burton, Eastside, Castlewood

Hogo - Bland, Chilhowie, Galax, RR, GW, ?FC?

Pioneer - Auburn, Bath, Covington, Craig, EM, PMC, Radford, Narrows

??

If FC moves up in the future put them in the New Name AA District.

If Grayson moves down in the future put them in the Hogo

Put Lebanon in the Hogo. MD don't want them.

I think it has been lost in the back and forth discussion that the Blues scored 3 TD's with boys that were there last year (Collins, Ball and Adkinson).  Granted the XP's were by a transfer, but we have a very capable backup in Daniel Brown who could have kicked the XP's.  The Falcons final score was 21--so there you are. 

Also, I am pretty sure that DeSalvo (#10) was a transfer into your program this year and he made some very good catches for the Falcons. 

Two good programs are being maligned  by a game already over with and in the record books.  It's time for post-season.  Let's move on. 

RichlandsAlum, I like your comment about the possibility of blackballing a district team because it has happened before. In fact, I was thinking about starting a thread concerning this very topic.

In 1978 and 1979, Martinsville was essentially blackballed from the Piedmont District.  There was an old provision in the VHSL stipulations that allowed teams to compete for a district championship if they played all but one of their district opponents.  Guess which opponent was omitted from EVERY Piedmont District school during those years?

The theory behind the antiquated rule is that is was done in the segregation area in an attempt to not segregate athletics.

Whatever the reason, it certainly did happen.  The schedule was brutal for Martinsville.  As a true AA school, they had to fill out their schedule with very strong AAA teams such as GW-Danville, Patrick Henry-Roanoke and Pulaski.  Some of the strong AA teams that they were able to play included William Byrd and Southampton High.  Martinsville's JV and 8th grade teams followed a similar schedule as the varsity (not the exact same teams).  As an 8th grade player on one of those teams, it was both fun and very, very challenging.  We got to miss a little bit of school as we were going to Roanoke or Lynchburg to play but the opponents were very good.

Anyway, the old bylaw/stipulation was abolished but not before a travesty had already taken place.  In 1979, Martinsville did not make the playoffs.....however, their resume included wins against Southampton (the AA State Champ in 1979) and PH-Roanoke who was AAA runner up that year.

I still try to remember that high school athletics are supposed to be for the kids and to benefit of the players....I think sometimes, we adults get too carried away about sports. In 20 years, our kids aren't going to remember the score of every single game. They will however, remember working together and sacrificing for a common cause.  If they are lucky, they will have a chance to play on a good team at some point.  I just hope that we adults provide an environment that our children will look at fondly years after school is over.

EHC, segregation had nothing to do with it. This rule came about 6-7 years after intergration of Martinsville-Henry Co schools. This was called the "Martinsville rule" by the VHSL and was brought about by the school AD's and principals who were tired of MHS beating their football teams very badly. The rule only applied for football. At the time the Piedmont was a 10 team district and the rule stated you only had to play 8 district games to qualify for the championship instead of 9. So everybody dropped the Dogs in football, but played them in all other sports. A fellow whose last name was Carter who played on those teams wrote a book about the teams experiences over the 2 or 3 years that the Dogs had to play under this rule, all leading up to when Martinsville went to Southhampton and beat them 7-0 to end a long home winning for Southhampton who by the way won the state championship that year with their only loss coming to the Dogs. If you can find the book EHC it's a good read, a lot of good memories from bygone era. Football hasn't been good as a whole in the area recently except for Magna Vista the last few years.

pdfan,

In Pete Carter's book, it stated that the old rule on the books may have had something to do with preventing some schools from playing in pre-segreation. See statement by Dr. Calkins on page 30 of Carter's book.  The stipulation was already in place, the principals just took advantage of it and it effectively became known as the Martinsville Rule.

Like you, I thought it was an excellent read..especially when I actually lived part of it. You had to be there to have believed some of the talent MHS had for a 4-5 year period.  Dennis Mahan, Doug Law, Jamie Mason, Keith Burgess, Rex Varn and many, many others.  Truly a special time for high school football.

I was only 10 when the Dogs won the 1975 state title, but can remember it well.  Great times.  Also pdfan, thanks for your input as well.  The story seems almost like a tall tale...you almost had to witness it to believe it.

I graduated in 75 from another local high school(F-C) and played against all of the names you mentioned above, I still think the 75 state champs had about the most talent on it as a whole as any team I've witnessed over the years, Mason and Varn went to Clemson, Mahan to Tennessee then Hampton, Burgess played D1 somewhere and has had 2 sons play bball for VCU over the last few years and a bunch of others played D2 and D3. The early 60's(the Sonny Wade-Taylor Edwards era) till the early 90's were the golden era of Mavahi football. Hard to believe they only have 2 state championships. But they did have to play AAA from 67 thru 74. They still have those 14 state bball championships to fall back on, lol. Good to talk about M-HC history with you EHC

pdfan,

This thread and others have discussed transfers/holdbacks, etc.  I am not condoning holdbacks at all unless it is for a legitimate academic reason.  As to the transfer thing.....well you guys, Fieldale Collinsville, lost Jeff Adkins to Martinsville for his junior and senior seasons in basketball.  My elementary school principal was Mel Cartwright who was the Martinsville basketball assistant during the late 70's early 80's.  

The next thing I knew, Mr. Cartwright was heading to Maryland to be one of Lefty's assistants and Adkins was in tow :)   That has been over 30 years and it just goes to show that there really isn't anything "new under the sun" when it comes to most of the high school sports issues we are CURRENTLY discussing.  

I've enjoyed interacting with you pdfan......heck, I even had some cousins who graduated from F-C but there were just a few years after you.  Thanks again!

Razor, I was being 100% sincere in what I asked. I didn't mean it as a derogatory thing at all. I really and truly wondered if the kids who were made to sit because of a new transfer ever voiced displeasure. Kudos to you your organization for being so good about it. I feel certain that some kids here would be upset about it. That was my point regarding my question about transfers. I even said I'd be fine with it if Blankenship had transferred here.

In regards to the comment that AHS only scored 3 TDs from another poster....please don't forget the transfers in question played both ways and played very well both ways.

I have never denied the fact that RHS beat AHS fair and square. Plain and simple, we got beat. I think that if these questions were asked in July as opposed to just after you beat us then they would be taken at face value. However, we don't know about the transfer until we play, or at least I don't. I can't speak for any of the other Abingdon posters on here, but I apologize to you Razor if I came off as derogatory. It was absolutely not my intention.

Good day.

How many kids that scored for RHS STARTED their high school (as in 9th grade) at RHS? Anyway, the point of consternation is not with the transfers.....it's with RHS folks not openly admitting you have more than most. Your alls continual defense of it makes you look like you feel guilty about it. AHS had a transfer come in as a senior and start at MLB...but he transferred to AHS not for athletic reasons and his 1st cousin played for AHS. Serious question here....I promise I'm not being a smartass here, I'm truly not. But do the kids who come up through your little league programs and play football all through middle school, JV and finally get to varsity.....only to sit the bench for a transfer.....does it not bother them? Like when Blankenship came over, who sits because of him? If Blankenship had decided to come here I would have been fine with it....but my kid already graduated so there would be no danger of him losing PT. My point is, Im not being hypocritical about it....I'd take transfers that help the program but if my kid sits because of the transfer, after having busted his butt all the way through the program, then yeah, I wouldn't like it. That has to be a point of consternation within your program isnt it?

Just to answer your question about Blankenship. Waldron was probably next up. He was getting at least half, if not the majority, of the carries before the season started. He got hurt in the benefit game and is out for the season.

Very well stated Razor......exactly the way i feel and my reason for not joining in on this conversation......until now. I said in another thread about this that I wasn't going to argue with anybody about this anymore because it does exactly what they want, it gets under our skin, so it's best to just let it go. We can't win because if we respond, then they always come back and say, Don't be so sensitive, or I'm not judging, or what ever so best to just let it and keep on kicking butt !

Kids will continue to want to come here as long as we are the flavor of the month and have a stable well run program with the fan base and facilities we have so this will continue into the foreseeable future. There will come a time when we are not the favored program around here and somebody else will be and the kids will stop wanting to come here and will go to the next flavor of the month. That's the way it was, is and always will be.

Well guys, I've had a close relative of mine just passed suddenly of a massive heart attack at a young age ( 57 ) in Montgomery Ala and I will be driving down there this evening. She was a 1st cousin of mine but we were raised together while her dad served in the war in the 60's so we were more like brother and sister. I will probably be gone for about a week so I probably wont be posting on here until I get back.

Safe travels to everyone to and from the games, it's at times like this that you realize just how unimportant some things are in life and how important other things should be......like family !

Sorry for your loss. I like to stir the pot here and there but in all sincerity I wish RHS the best of luck.

HS Football is a great tradition in these mountains and so is picking at each other.

You will be in my families prayers

"Cudos" Mountianman.......

I know me and most of the people I know will be pulling for the Falcons to win the rest of their games. You all have a great team and coaching staff now and like I stated earlier an ever growing fan base. The crowd you brought Friday Night was awesome!

GOOD LUCK!

why do they even still have districts anyway? who cares? the VHSL ruined that concept years ago...it's over.

winning your district is like getting a participation trophey now...means nothing.

There are advantages to an extra year...but I realize it is not for everybody.  Real life starts soon enough for these kids; that extra year at home may be hugely important...especially if you have a large yard to mow!

About the only advantage of districts is having teams to play.  Some teams would have a hard time scheduling a full schedule if not for districts.  A few years ago Gretna had to play Dan River twice each season because they could find no takers to fill their schedule. 

Just throwing a little geography out there, in this line up 4 of the 6 schools that the Hogoheegee Rivers run through are not in the proposed new HOGO.  I do however like a little shake up.

Put Lebanon in the Hogo. MD don't want them.

Good point on the geography

Lebanon really fits in any of 4 districts in SWVA. Im cool with them in the Mountain but I think they are more similar to the SW schools, Grundy, Graham and Tazewell in particular. They wouldnt go into the Hogo in this setup because its based on Group, all As or all AAs(other than Abingdon)

Mountain - Lee, GC, Rv, Lebanon, Battle, Union, Central, Abingdon

Southwest - VAHigh, Grundy, Richlands, Tazewell, Marion, Graham, Carroll, ??Grayson??

New Name AA District - Floyd, Giles, Glenvar, James River, Martinsville, ?FC?

New Name A District #1 - Hurley, TV, Honaker, NW, Holston, PH, (Council)

Cumberland - Tom Walker, Rye Cove, Twin Springs, JI Burton, Eastside, Castlewood

New Name A District #2 - Bland, Chilhowie, Galax, RR, GW, ?FC?

Pioneer - Auburn, Bath, Covington, Craig, EM, PMC, Radford, Narrows

??

If FC moves up in the future put them in the New Name AA District.

If Grayson moves down in the future put them in the Hogo

If Carroll stays wherever they are now and Graysons enrollment contnues to decline move Lebanon over to the SW to keep the number of schools per district somewhat balanced