Score Updates - 9/30/16

GMan

Don't know how everybody else feels but Grundy improving to 6-0 and Graham taking down undefeated Abingdon is the highlight of the night. Hats off to the players, coaches and fans for both those teams tonight!

Glad to see Grundy's turn around and success this year. Buchanan County is certainly making the news this year with the success of the Golden Wave and the Hurley Rebels. Hats off, and continued success, to both programs.

I was at the Graham-Abingdon game and this one would certainly get my vote for "Upset of the Year!" I am so proud of those "Virginia side boys" and the community support that once again has returned to Bluefield,Virginia.

What an exciting year for these respective schools! Best of luck to ALL SWVA football schools ... play on well into December!

Reed for Bluefield has been ejected...apparently that's the second Bluefield player tossed out tonight...

Richlands 42

Bluefield 21 11:05 4Q

BTW...the color guy on the Bluefield broadcast needs to keep opinion to himself, quit being a "homer fan", and broadcast the game...

Listening to Richlands is about the same way, they can get right homerish when they want too.

Congrats to Graham. I wasn't at game but I read where someone said that AHS didn't pass one time in the 3rd. Was Graham stopping the pass making AHS run or was it just attempt by AHS to catch Graham off guard? If AHS had thrown the ball more would the score have been closer?

Congrats to Graham. I wasn't at game but I read where someone said that AHS didn't pass one time in the 3rd. Was Graham stopping the pass making AHS run or was it just attempt by AHS to catch Graham off guard? If AHS had thrown the ball more would the score have been closer?

Abingdon was moving the ball well with the run but it seemed to me (just my opinion) they lost confidence in Sturgill after he threw the second interception. He was lighting Graham up early in the game.

They went back to the pass during the fourth but it seemed like Graham was able to get some more pressure on him. Not so much in sacks but just making him roll out of the pocket. The first half he could have set up a picnic in that pocket he had so much time

I love to listen to Ron,  but I listen to Rocky and Brian more over the last 2 years.  Ron just has too many commercials for me any more.   But Ron is a fantastic play by play guy for high school football.

All radio stations that broadcast their teams are homers...lol. That's at any level. However the stations that are that broadcast different teams every week shouldn't be IMO.

Some do a great job of cheering on their team and being very low on the subjective poll as well. Some do not. 

The rule of thumb I believe to be true is if you wouldn't want it said about one of your kids then you probably shouldn't say it. 

Graham's secondary played very well last night.  Graham was able to get a little bit of pressure on the QB and force him to scramble and make a few bad throws or run out of bounds.  The secondary did make a few mistakes last night and got burned, but the pass defense for Graham looked much improved.  They have an athletic bunch back there and they are improving each week.  Abingdon didn't have anybody open on a lot of those pass plays.  Overall, the pass defense played well considering what they were up against.  Holding Abingdon to 14 points....wow, I'll take it.  And I"m glad that the bad call on Abingdon's 2nd td didn't play a role in the outcome of this game.

Listening to Richlands is about the same way, they can get right homerish when they want too.

I can say what I want. If you don't like it, turn it off. But I never said the officials favored Richlands except on one occasion when they allowed the Richlands coaches to protest way too much without a penalty when Bluefield's coaches made one loud protest and got a penalty. There were three plays that I remember where I stated Richlands got the bad end of a call. One was the personal foul on the Bluefield sideline, the holding penalty and the fumble recovery called back to the line.

Ron Brown, Brent Warner and Ben Brown are the best!!!!  Add in Edith Ann down on the field.  Can't beat Ron's enthusiasm, Brent's analysis and stats,  Ben's stats and Edith Ann's sideline comments;  her postgame interview with Coach Mance and always the sweetest demeanor. 

I don't mind the commercials that enable WGTH to bring the play by play over the radio and especially on the internet, which us out-of-towners really appreciate!!!!

It will never get old hearing Ron say at the end of the game "Put another W next to that Lighting R."