Richlands @ Union

Unionguy_2017

2 minutes ago, rhs82 said:

I think the train whistle had an effect on the game vin the first half.

Maybe it kept us from doing anything offensively. I guarantee that Coach Mance would be shaking his head if he read this thread. No excuses

13 hours ago, rhs82 said:

I thought Union was very disrespectful and un sportsmanlike when blowing the train whistle on every offensive of Richlands ran in the first half......

They did that to Graham last year in the playoffs. Cam stayed cool as a cucumber even in that atmosphere. I hated that whistle but it is what it is, up to players to adjust to any distractions. In my opinion, if Blues complain about a train whistle it makes them look like crybabies. Graham will have to deal with it next year, and we'll have a very young team losing over a dozen seniors this year. I'll still hate that whistle as much next year as I did last year but as I said, it is what it is. 

The train horn should never be blown as the offense is walking up to the line. Trust me, we learned this at Giles and it almost cost us a game due to nearly getting penalized in a tight game for blowing it while the team was on the ball. Hence the reason it is banned from Appomattox, but we grew up and learned from our mistakes haha If teams are continuing to blow it when they shouldn’t be, then it will be banned all together from the VHSL, so be smart about it Bears. We’d like to keep ours a little while longer.

Richlands loved the train horns when we played graham in the playoffs though. 

When I played for Powell Valley back in the mid to later 90s you had people 2 and 3 deep around the fences. I’d much rather had a horn to worry about on the road as I would people cussing at you all game

17 minutes ago, rhs82 said:

I thought Union was very disrespectful and un sportsmanlike when blowing the train whistle on every offensive of Richlands ran in the first half......

With all due respect, none of y’all complained when we done it to graham last year and the year before. It’s home field advantage. The 12th man cliche. I have truck loads of respect for Richlands, their coaches and fan base. We expect to hear a lot of ruckus down the road at other places. Game on. Their house, their rules. Another classic played by two tradition rich programs. Richlands will make noise all year long. Hope lance gets 200 nice week 👍

6 minutes ago, Ol Dawg said:

With all due respect, none of y’all complained when we done it to graham last year and the year before. It’s home field advantage. The 12th man cliche. I have truck loads of respect for Richlands, their coaches and fan base. We expect to hear a lot of ruckus down the road at other places. Game on. Their house, their rules. Another classic played by two tradition rich programs. Richlands will make noise all year long. Hope lance gets 200 nice week 👍

Not sure he gets it next week or the next, I could be wrong though. He'll get it at some point this season.

Just now, Gridiron60 said:

Not sure he gets it next week or the next, I could be wrong though. He'll get it at some point this season.

Wasn't sure who they play. Just pulling for him to get that notch out of respect for Richlands program. 

18 hours ago, old_school_blue said:

Turner will come out tonight in the double tight "T" and run the ball, just like Gate City.  It works.  Richlands needs to get away from the two platoon system and put the BEST ELEVEN on the field.  He has three pretty good running backs (# 42, # 5 and # 4), no experienced quarterbacks and no dynamic play-maker at receiver (Webb is more effective taking hand offs.)  The defense would benefit from extended offensive possessions.  Best eleven on the field works, ask Thad Wells.  Massive changes needed, Air Mance needs to turn into ground and pound.

"The offensive highlights for Richlands were created by 5-11 sophomore Sage Webb. After being hounded by the Union secondary in the first two quarters, Webb was moved to the backfield in the second half and responded with 80 yards rushing on 14 carries."  (Excerpt from today's Bristol Herald Courier.)

Before the game, I thought 28-6 Union.  Played out like I thought.  Union wore Richlands down and blew them up at the end.  To me, 26-3 is not close nor is it a moral victory.  At this point, Richlands needs to slow down the game and control the clock more.  They have the kids to do this, IMO.  As I said before the game, Webb is more effective in the backfield....and you still have Steele and # 42.

1 hour ago, old_school_blue said:

"The offensive highlights for Richlands were created by 5-11 sophomore Sage Webb. After being hounded by the Union secondary in the first two quarters, Webb was moved to the backfield in the second half and responded with 80 yards rushing on 14 carries."  (Excerpt from today's Bristol Herald Courier.)

Before the game, I thought 28-6 Union.  Played out like I thought.  Union wore Richlands down and blew them up at the end.  To me, 26-3 is not close nor is it a moral victory.  At this point, Richlands needs to slow down the game and control the clock more.  They have the kids to do this, IMO.  As I said before the game, Webb is more effective in the backfield....and you still have Steele and # 42.

Gillespie (42) and Tarter both missed the 2nd halves last night. Altizer is also out a while. Defense played amazing football for a half and then got tired when the offense couldn’t put the ball in the end zone. Should have been at least 21-0 at halftime. You have to score when you’re inside the 25. 

Glad we have a week off to rest and try to figure something out. This schedule doesn’t get any easier for a while. 

Game was close . There is never any moral victory  in a loss when you play for Richlands.  Anytime your leading going into the 4 th quarter , you have given yourself a shot to win the game.  Union has way , more athletes on d . Their lbs are top notch and corners played the run well.  #43 is a great player on both sides of the ball. Richlands fell apart at about the 6 minute mark of the game. No one that was there in attendance would have thought 26 -3 with 8 minutes left in the entire game.  Offensively , taking Webb from wr will hurt somewhat. He had 43 receptions as a freshman.  Already 11or 12 in 2 games this year. I’m not sure of any freshman in the swd doing that.  So there is no way it is a great thing.  You loose the double teams on one side of field that creates open spaces for the others.  The loose a young qbs security blanket. 

What is the qbs completion percentage when thrown to all the receivers. ?And what is the RAC , by all of the receivers   .  The tight end made 2 good catch and runs in the screen game tonight   

That was it    These other w/r  rbs, should have had a chance to step up   .

Webb should not be the leading rusher , when he didn’t take 1 carry in the whole first half   . And he may have been the leading receiver with 3 or 4 catches  .    I think rb by committee may be in order.  I hate to see the spread go because I feel like Richlands  has  2 or 3 players that can thrive in that system that has won so many games but the drop off in talent is really shocking.  I hope they get healthy and put together a full game next time out.  Good luck to union. They are much better than gate city in my opinion. They tackle well and execute well.    

2 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

Not sure who “lance” is, but it’ll be hard for Mance to get win 200...BYE is undefeated all-time. Not sure we pull that one off. 

Fat fingers got me haha. And it looks like 200 will wait an extra week. BYE is indeed the head of the class. 

12 hours ago, Unchained said:

Maybe it kept us from doing anything offensively. I guarantee that Coach Mance would be shaking his head if he read this thread. No excuses

Actually Mance complained about whistle in radio interview and said it violated VHSL rules or so I read on a social media post. 

Just my opinion as a Richlands fan.  There is a rule concerning artificial noise once huddle is broke. I’m pretty sure that rule was probably broken.  However. It is home field advantage.  I like it.  I like the environment.  The atmosphere was great. The game was great till mid way through the fourth.  We came out on the loosing end .  The noise probably was tough to deal with. It was supposed to be.  That was the point. Kids will remember the atmosphere.  Remember the noise. Remember trying to concentrate and carry out their assignments in an adverse environment.  That is why we all love the game and the lessons that carry on in real life.   Didn’t cause us to loose.  Caused us to be uncomfortable. And that is why there is a home / away series between most teams. I hope Richlands gets it together and gets to play union again .  That was a good game for most part.  Highly competitive for over 3/4 of the game.  

58 minutes ago, FootballFan67 said:

Actually Mance complained about whistle in radio interview and said it violated VHSL rules or so I read on a social media post. 

Shame so many are making excuses:( My buddy from Lebanon was telling me this morning that several Richlands folks were complaining about the officials taking FGs away from Forrest. That's absurd. I was right beside the uprights and he slightly hooked one. Another was hurried from an edge rusher,and another blocked. We could easily complain about the numerous no-calls on  Richlands holds and us getting called numerous times. Bottom line is if you line up and beat us we'll shake your hand after it. Union simply smacked the Blues in the mouth in the 4th quarter and took this game.

19 minutes ago, Tiger 2000 said:

Just my opinion as a Richlands fan.  There is a rule concerning artificial noise once huddle is broke. I’m pretty sure that rule was probably broken.  However. It is home field advantage.  I like it.  I like the environment.  The atmosphere was great. The game was great till mid way through the fourth.  We came out on the loosing end .  The noise probably was tough to deal with. It was supposed to be.  That was the point. Kids will remember the atmosphere.  Remember the noise. Remember trying to concentrate and carry out their assignments in an adverse environment.  That is why we all love the game and the lessons that carry on in real life.   Didn’t cause us to loose.  Caused us to be uncomfortable. And that is why there is a home / away series between most teams. I hope Richlands gets it together and gets to play union again .  That was a good game for most part.  Highly competitive for over 3/4 of the game.  

Just like this guy said...GREAT GAME last night...The Union side was just LOUD and PROUD of how the team responded in the 2nd half...

10 minutes ago, Unchained said:

Shame so many are making excuses:( My buddy from Lebanon was telling me this morning that several Richlands folks were complaining about the officials taking FGs away from Forrest. That's absurd. I was right beside the uprights and he slightly hooked one. Another was hurried from an edge rusher,and another blocked. We could easily complain about the numerous no-calls on  Richlands holds and us getting called numerous times. Bottom line is if you line up and beat us we'll shake your hand after it. Union simply smacked the Blues in the mouth in the 4th quarter and took this game.

No excuses, no moral victories...I complained about refs during our game last week but I also conceded we made mistakes and were sloppy. As much as I dislike that particular whistle, it does add to the entire atmosphere. If a complaint does get filed, I won't be surprised. An "anonymous" complaint was filed against Graham right before the regional championship with Richlands last year. Hopefully, it just dies down and everyone can get on with the season. Props to @Tiger 2000 for his above post as a Richlands' fan.