Scrimmages : Aug 10-14 - updated

VHSLhelper

2 hours ago, Fairlawncat said:

Yep, and unfortunately, wait until the 10 days are up and 10 days after that, they possibly get to do it all over again when they get 1 or 2 more positives.  Going to be like that all year, all across the state unless teams get vaccinated at 90% or more.  If your a team like Union, Graham, Ridgeview, Central, and possibly Richlands who are favorites (especially Union and Graham) to win the Region, the difference in winning the region could possibly come down to which team has the most kids vaccinated, especially starters.  It could also mean the difference late in the playoffs between teams like Appo, Stuarts Draft, Graham, Union, Buckingham, King William, Poquoson in those semi-final contests.  The team that gets 90% or more of its kids vaxd may determine a trip to the state title or even a state title.   Practice and discipline makes teams improve.  One factor that rarely happens in history, but can at least appear to make a team improve in the form of moving to the next level/game and not have to forfeit is getting vaxd.

Thing is most parents I've talked to are hesitant bout letting their teenage kids get the vaccine because of no longer than it has been out. A lot tell me that they are more concerned about what kinda of effects it could have down the road a couple of years. 

21 minutes ago, MT FAN 91 said:

Things is most parents I've talked to are hesitant bout letting their teenage kids get the vaccine because of no longer than it has been out. A lot tell me that they are more concerned about what kinda of effects it could down the road a couple of years. 

I understand that.  I respect a parent's personal decision to get vaxd or not get vaxd based on risk vs benefit.   Tons of factors in play from benefit, risk, religion, politics, personal choice, and a combination of all of those or none of those.  I'm just saying that the only way the shutdowns are avoided and in my opinion, the season saved, is by kids getting vaxd.  It will require that in my opinion for the season to be saved.  Again, not saying whether they should or shouldn't be vax'd or this or that.  That's a family's choice.  But, I still believe we go beyond a few shutdowns.  I think the High School Football season in Virginia will be cancelled by week 3, IF.....there isn't some massive push by High School Coaches and Families to get the vaccine.   The Covid numbers are sky rocketing and they are now as worse as they have ever been and there's no indication another strain, one possibly even more deadly or contagious than Delta will not be coming along.

49 minutes ago, It Doesnt Matter said:

Can someone please update how Ridgeview does tonight? Im interested in the how the oquinn kid does at qb and how the hill kid looks coming back form his injury. Also interested in the defense. I know the hill kid was very good as a freshman  

It Doesn't Matter😂

30 minutes ago, Fairlawncat said:

I understand that.  I respect a parent's personal decision to get vaxd or not get vaxd based on risk vs benefit.   Tons of factors in play from benefit, risk, religion, politics, personal choice, and a combination of all of those or none of those.  I'm just saying that the only way the shutdowns are avoided and in my opinion, the season saved, is by kids getting vaxd.  It will require that in my opinion for the season to be saved.  Again, not saying whether they should or shouldn't be vax'd or this or that.  That's a family's choice.  But, I still believe we go beyond a few shutdowns.  I think the High School Football season in Virginia will be cancelled by week 3, IF.....there isn't some massive push by High School Coaches and Families to get the vaccine.   The Covid numbers are sky rocketing and they are now as worse as they have ever been and there's no indication another strain, one possibly even more deadly or contagious than Delta will not be coming along.

I get what you're saying....I just don't see it happening 

59 minutes ago, Fairlawncat said:

I’m not sure the VHSL can withstand another fall football season shutdown. I’d say they’re financially strapped right now due to previous shutdown & abbreviated seasons. Football (as normal as possible) is needed for many reasons. Coaches & (parents) should encourage kids who don’t feel well to stay at home for a week, lots of problems solved that way as far as getting the season in this year. 

1 hour ago, Fairlawncat said:

Any updates on Elizabethton vs Union and/or DB versus Lord Boty"

Betsy/Union was shortened due to lightning, but here's a couple of videos courtesy of WCYB's Casey Goetz. Union needs more speed on D, and will need to tighten up on the pass. Looked good on the lines.

https://twitter.com/WCYB_CaseyGoetz

2 hours ago, Fairlawncat said:

Any updates on Elizabethton vs Union and/or DB versus Lord Boty"

Went to E&H to see Botty Tot v D-B. Botty only brought what I counted to be 30 players down, but had the upper hand and were leading 3-1 when we left as it started raining, but I believe they were about ready to wrap things up anyway. Bott-uh-tot had too much size up front for D-B, and their QB is a really good athlete, but erratic passer. They went deep at least 5-6 times on D-B and their receivers were embarrassingly open every time, but he only connected on 1 of those long throws. D-B continues to be a work in progress and the defense is very concerning, especially in the secondary. D-B also lost one of their best OL to a knee injury early and he sat on the trainer's table for the rest of the game with ice on it. I still think D-B will finish 7-3 with losses to Greeneville, Science Hill and Oak Ridge, none of who I think they will be within 3 scores of, but the rest of the schedule is pretty friendly. I might change my mind after they play THS next week, but I'm going with that. 

Richlands and Central just scrimmaged. 
Very even. Central scored twice and got 100 yards. Richlands scored once on 99 yards. Both teams look like they’ll be pretty good offensively. Central busted a few big runs — which is expected. They’ll be a force in the M7 for sure. 

2 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

Central and Belfry were 2-2 with 15 plays each. 

Blues and Belfry were 1-1 with 15 each. 

I felt like all three teams were very evenly matched. Only one big Injury, a DL for Belfry had to be carted off with a knee. 

How big is the Richlands QB? I've watched a ton of high school football all over the Southeast, and I've never seen a QB that big? 

9 minutes ago, JDHoss said:

How big is the Richlands QB? I've watched a ton of high school football all over the Southeast, and I've never seen a QB that big? 

I think he's about 6'8", 265 lbs. If that's wrong, a mad mom will set me straight.

6 hours ago, JDHoss said:

He was 6’8 260 last year. He’s slimmed down to about 230 this year. 

Fort 2 Blacksburg 0,  first series one vs one, Blacksburg gained 12 yds first play than 10yds next 9. Fort gained 35-40 yards first series. 
                                 second series 2vs2, 0-0, blksbg drove to about 20yd line, fort the same

Third series 3vs 3, jv 0-0

4th series, 2vs 2, fort scores on read option keep on 7-8th play, had 2 nice passes , Blacksburg 35-40 yds

5th series 1vs1, fort scores on 8th play, varney TB 15yd run, qb ran offense better, better reads , Blacksburg gained                           
                                    30yds

fort looked good for early scrimmage, qbs played well on reads for first action, Blacksburg may have another long season. Just a scrimmage 

22 hours ago, It Doesnt Matter said:

Can someone please update how Ridgeview does tonight? Im interested in the how the oquinn kid does at qb and how the hill kid looks coming back form his injury. Also interested in the defense. I know the hill kid was very good as a freshman  

I thought RV looked OK they moved the ball pretty well. QB looked good for the most part I only counted 3 bad passes with only 1 that made me cringe mixed with several passes hitting the receiver in stride, Several running backs saw action and ran well , Receivers looked like they blocked well and were able to get open, There were a few drops that were concerning but it looks like RV will be able to spread the ball around in the passing game. The Line looked better than expected they pass blocked well and while not road graders there were  running lanes for the backs most of the time.

On D They look like they match up well with speed but might have a tougher time with a running Offence with a full house backfield of course being a scrimmage that may have wanted to play Base D and not load the box. I know very little about Letcher and only that PH has been a solid 1A team the last several years I felt like RV looked better than PH and even with LC as for the scoring I think total was vs LC (2 - 3 LC) and Vs PH (3-1 RV)  I am looking forward to the Graham Benifit game next week to see how the kicking game plays out

3 hours ago, Counts said:

I thought RV looked OK they moved the ball pretty well. QB looked good for the most part I only counted 3 bad passes with only 1 that made me cringe mixed with several passes hitting the receiver in stride, Several running backs saw action and ran well , Receivers looked like they blocked well and were able to get open, There were a few drops that were concerning but it looks like RV will be able to spread the ball around in the passing game. The Line looked better than expected they pass blocked well and while not road graders there were  running lanes for the backs most of the time.

On D They look like they match up well with speed but might have a tougher time with a running Offence with a full house backfield of course being a scrimmage that may have wanted to play Base D and not load the box. I know very little about Letcher and only that PH has been a solid 1A team the last several years I felt like RV looked better than PH and even with LC as for the scoring I think total was vs LC (2 - 3 LC) and Vs PH (3-1 RV)  I am looking forward to the Graham Benifit game next week to see how the kicking game plays out

Letcher County KY? The same LCC that Union played for years? 

They played Union every year from 2015-2019, five games, and Union dominated them. Average margin of victory was almost 30 ppg (29 ppg) and Union went 5-0. But the last meeting was 2019, so thats not the same team. 

3 hours ago, BigWinners said:

Letcher County KY? The same LCC that Union played for years? 

They played Union every year from 2015-2019, five games, and Union dominated them. Average margin of victory was almost 30 ppg (29 ppg) and Union went 5-0. But the last meeting was 2019, so thats not the same team. 

I'm sure they're no better than they were two years ago