Union/Ridgeview

Gridiron60

3 hours ago, BigWinners said:

The Beavers kid was fantastic, I think electric is the best word to describe him, but he was quiet for long stretches of the game. I think Lomax and his impact on both sides is hard to top but I won't argue if someone thought Beavers was the best player on the field.

Yeah Lomax is so good running the ball no one notices how good on D he is

6 hours ago, BigWinners said:

18 was only on that side of the field when they went four wide with four WRs. When Beavers was alone on one side,  he was given tons of cushion and Bunch shadowed him. I thought they would have Jenkins, 21, play over the top and have Bunch crowd him, but they used Jenkins to shadow Counts. Unions defensive alignment did not change much at all, no double safety looks, they kept their personnel the same. That was obv the game plan. Keep everything in front and then make tackles on short routes. It failed on the screens but down the field, RV had very little success. 

I think it was #10 then.  It was a “quarters” defense and is pretty evident to see on film.  There are “quarters busters” but you have to rep them and have them ready.  They will see this more.  I will more than happy to screen shot or share film.  There were double safeties literally on every dang play.

6 hours ago, UNION'S HAMMER said:

You people are funny. Horn didn't blow the 1st time until ridgeview fans blew all their horns and the band was playing during unions 1st drive the opening drive of the game. Union was under center when all these was going on it happened at Graham as well.Go watch the film. We have been playing by the rules since Graham cried about it in 2018. If your going to quote rules and all you need to understand that all artificial noise makers are illegal even all those airhorns the Wolfpack brought last night. Jeez  people ever heard a college stadium florida had 13 false start penalties on them last week at Kentucky home field advantage. 

The train horn blew through the snap count in the first half ….often.  I’m not sure how you can honestly say you are in compliance with the rules.  I just think it unnecessarily detracts from the game and experience.  You don’t NEED to do that…good park, good fanbase and good team. I know numerous RV people specifically brought air horns to “give them a taste of their own medicine”.  This is where we are now and I’m willing to bet that VHSL outlaws all air horns in next two years.  It pisses me off when someone behind me unleashes one and I’m taking a drink of coke or a bite of hotdog.  

9 minutes ago, BearsFan88 said:

Sounds like some people are mostly bitter about the loss. 

And complaining about the announcer? That’s hilarious. 

Next!

Yeah horns 1 thing but I've heard some real doozies.  Just blame refs sounds better than making up stuff

17 minutes ago, BearsFan88 said:

Sounds like some people are mostly bitter about the loss. 

And complaining about the announcer? That’s hilarious. 

Next!

Maybe this person needs to go to the next Ridgeview home game and sit in the visitor section. 😂😂

Not to mention last time I was there Ridgeview was setting off fireworks during the opposing teams offensive plays. 

11 minutes ago, goose111874 said:

Yeah horns 1 thing but I've heard some real doozies.  Just blame refs sounds better than making up stuff

Phil is one of those announcers that is to the point and rarely shows emotion. 

Doesn’t sound like he would be vocal. 

Ergo, it sounds like a bunch of bull. 

2 hours ago, SwvaOG said:

The train horn blew through the snap count in the first half ….often.  I’m not sure how you can honestly say you are in compliance with the rules.  I just think it unnecessarily detracts from the game and experience.  You don’t NEED to do that…good park, good fanbase and good team. I know numerous RV people specifically brought air horns to “give them a taste of their own medicine”.  This is where we are now and I’m willing to bet that VHSL outlaws all air horns in next two years.  It pisses me off when someone behind me unleashes one and I’m taking a drink of coke or a bite of hotdog.  

I said I was in the rules from the Graham game in 2018 till last night when and yes go watch the tape ridgeview fans blew all their little toys during our snap count. And so the games were on. 

5 hours ago, SwvaOG said:

Could prevent a person from eating said hot dog and drinking sugary soda.  Win win lol

Good luck to both the rest of the season. 

11 hours ago, UNION'S HAMMER said:

I said I was in the rules from the Graham game in 2018 till last night when and yes go watch the tape ridgeview fans blew all their little toys during our snap count. And so the games were on. 

Are you sure it wasn't 2019? 😂😂😂 I saw a video on FB from that game & it was going full blast. It's easy to get years mixed up as we age though. Maybe hearing loss affects memory??? It's really just a matter of a few seconds of self control then all you grown men can blow all you want. Train horns, air horns , whatever...😉

On 10/9/2021 at 7:29 AM, jarhead24219 said:

pleeeeaaaaseee, P A guy bothered you,yep you were not there, a  T V expert ,because if you would have been there your own band played (i stood right beside them) and no one and i mean no one could hear the play by play guy, we complain that the home side cant hear him , less so on the visitors side.

On 10/9/2021 at 9:19 AM, Union_Fan said:

Yea, no way anyone heard Mr Mumbles. Wish they would replace him. We have the most boring, monotone PA guy in the M7.

On 10/9/2021 at 11:05 AM, goose111874 said:

I quit buying half and half tickets because I can't hear the numbers being announced

Lol, yeah my buddy told the Union cheerleaders selling 50/50 tickets Friday night that he wasn't wasting his money since he couldn't hear the number announced anyway.  

2 minutes ago, jarhead24219 said:

As a side note, rumor has it that the VHSL was contacted about the horn, the town council may take up the matter( Town owned property) Rumor rumor rumor , I like the horn before the game, after Union scores and after a greats play by Union

I agree with those uses of the train horn. It adds to the atmosphere of the park/  It wouldn’t have ever been an issue except for blowing it incessantly when the opponents are in huddle and especially during the snap count (this being the absolutely most egregious use of said train horn). Boys will be boys I guess. 

14 hours ago, jarhead24219 said:

As a side note, rumor has it that the VHSL was contacted about the horn, the town council may take up the matter( Town owned property) Rumor rumor rumor , I like the horn before the game, after Union scores and after a greats play by Union

Would not surprise me due to the (Disability rights aspects of ambient noise for people with auditory disorders under the
Americans with Disabilities Act) Honestly I am surprised it has taken this long for someone not to jump on it from that end but who knows

I personally don't think it is as big a deal as alot of people make it out to be but I can see it being an legit issue with people who have some disorders included in the Disabilities Act

Given the opportunity to attend a great game that was absolutely electric, loud, on your feet for the most part,  who cares what noise is being made.  It's a game that is supposed to be loud with whatever noise makers or not.  As an athlete,  nothing is greater than big moments in big games with tons of noise.  Adopt a noise maker and call it your own.  

LETS FACE IT "THE HORN DID NOT EFFECT O'QUINN OR HIS LINE AT ALL ,THERE WERE NO FALSE STARTS AND HE WENT TO THE SIDELINE TO GET HIS NEXT PLAY OR ANOTHER PLAYER BROUGHT IT IN.THIS KIDS HAS MOXIE DUDE, MAYBE THE NEXT DIV 1 PLAYER IF HE STAYS HEALTHY.CANNON FOR A ARM PIPOINT PASSES AND HE CAN RUN, HE WILLBE SOMETHING ELSE WHEN HE GETS A LITTLE OLDER

Somebody may feel accomplished when it isn’t inside the park anymore. I stand on the fence line and you can bet it’ll go outside the pass gate fence in the bed of a truck and blow nonstop facing the end zone now and there’s nothing no one can do or say about it. Why? Because it’s not school grounds. I’ll gladly hear it blowing across my back all night. 

46 minutes ago, CriticalNoise said:

Somebody may feel accomplished when it isn’t inside the park anymore. I stand on the fence line and you can bet it’ll go outside the pass gate fence in the bed of a truck and blow nonstop facing the end zone now and there’s nothing no one can do or say about it. Why? Because it’s not school grounds. I’ll gladly hear it blowing across my back all night. 

Never was school grounds, inside the fence or outside thefence is All  Town of Big Stone Gap. We (the town) pay 100% of the cost of maintenance as well as the Police officers( county pays its deputys’) so that’s why there may be a discussion at the town council meeting( may be) . Just to be clear there has been a noise ordinance on the books for some time. 
It should be noted that many of the complaints came from Union fans , so we have a week or so to work this out. I see a different location of the horn and a written set of guidelines to be put in place.

I'm going to say this.  For any Union fan who feels its ok to blow a train whistle during the snap count, then you are a special kind of scum, period. You just are.  It's really that simple.  I love some of the fallacy used to justify it.  Fallacy is more of a 3rd grade argument by the way, so that suggests a touch of ignorance just on the surface.  The fallacy is, "because it didn't effect team A when used during the snap count, it's ok to blow it during the snap count."  <--------That's the most ignorant rationalization or fallacy for bad behavior I've seen in a while.

For Union, just like Giles, one horn isn't enough.  I want 4 more.  I think Union should get MORE train horns.  They should blow the horns if they so choose CONSTANTLY from start to finish, with one simple exception that every normal school with normal people with normal humans do, and that is.......hold off for those 10 or so seconds from breaking the huddle to snapping the ball.  Fallacy two, if you are again ignorant or mentally impaired, you actually believe a train horn is the same as other common noisemakers used by fans.  It's not.  We have something called decibels.  The noisemaker in question has substantially more decibels that the ones not in question.

17 minutes ago, vtdavis4321 said:

I'm going to say this.  For any Union fan who feels its ok to blow a train whistle during the snap count, then you are a special kind of scum, period. You just are.  It's really that simple.  I love some of the fallacy used to justify it.  Fallacy is more of a 3rd grade argument by the way, so that suggests a touch of ignorance just on the surface.  The fallacy is, "because it didn't effect team A when used during the snap count, it's ok to blow it during the snap count."  <--------That's the most ignorant rationalization or fallacy for bad behavior I've seen in a while.

For Union, just like Giles, one horn isn't enough.  I want 4 more.  I think Union should get MORE train horns.  They should blow the horns if they so choose CONSTANTLY from start to finish, with one simple exception that every normal school with normal people with normal humans do, and that is.......hold off for those 10 or so seconds from breaking the huddle to snapping the ball.  Fallacy two, if you are again ignorant or mentally impaired, you actually believe a train horn is the same as other common noisemakers used by fans.  It's not.  We have something called decibels.  The noisemaker in question has substantially more decibels that the ones not in question.

The legality of the train horn isn't measured in decibels. Airhorns and cowbells while quieter are just as illegal. I love the train horn,but I'm not saavy with it blaring during live action. blare it when we score,when we enter the field...etc

1 hour ago, jarhead24219 said:

Never was school grounds, inside the fence or outside thefence is All  Town of Big Stone Gap. We (the town) pay 100% of the cost of maintenance as well as the Police officers( county pays its deputys’) so that’s why there may be a discussion at the town council meeting( may be) . Just to be clear there has been a noise ordinance on the books for some time. 
It should be noted that many of the complaints came from Union fans , so we have a week or so to work this out. I see a different location of the horn and a written set of guidelines to be put in place.

Ah ok. I was always under the impression it becomes school grounds once the event starts.

I guess if you want quietness go to church or a funeral. NFHS streams the games every week 

10 hours ago, Unchained said:

The legality of the train horn isn't measured in decibels. Airhorns and cowbells while quieter are just as illegal. I love the train horn,but I'm not saavy with it blaring during live action. blare it when we score,when we enter the field...etc

In that way they add to games, used constantly they draw attention away from the players and the game, and to adults.

What's gonna end up happening is Union is gonna get a warning early in a game and then a 15yd penalty at a real inopportune time. Then the crying will really start

2 minutes ago, redtiger said:

In that way they add to games, used constantly they draw attention away from the players and the game, and to adults.

What's gonna end up happening is Union is gonna get a warning and a 15yd penalty at a real inopportune time. Then the crying will really start

If you flag Union you'd best flag the opponent if they are ringing bells and airhorns. It must be followed to the letter of the law (no matter which is louder).