Projections

Union_Fan

8 minutes ago, goose111874 said:

I don't know about this year or others but they ain't beating the 2016 Appo team.  That was one of the best teams I've seen and I've seen some good ones play in northern VA 

We'll never know for sure. But CalPreps has been ridiculously accurate prior to Covid. They suggest you're wrong and so do I!

2 minutes ago, sixcat said:

We'll never know for sure. But CalPreps has been ridiculously accurate prior to Covid. They suggest you're wrong and so do I!

Well never know but that team was ridiculously loaded

55 minutes ago, goose111874 said:

Well never know but that team was ridiculously loaded

I didn't see the 2016 Appo team but I did see the 2016 Riverheads team and they were one of the more impressive teams I've seen in along time. Like I said I can't compare them because I only seen one of the teams but if both teams were that good I sure would've liked to see that match up.

3 minutes ago, MT FAN 91 said:

I didn't see the 2016 Appo team but I did see the 2016 Riverheads team and they were one of the more impressive teams I've seen in along time. Like I said I can't compare them because I only seen one of the teams but if both teams were that good I sure would've liked to see that match up.

If you bother with nfhs you can watch the 2015, 16, 17, 19 and 2020 games.

20 hours ago, sixcat said:

I think Galax and Riverheads both would have stood a great chance in Class 2 in 2019. Riverheads would have stood a significant chance in 2016. The other years would have been a bit more difficult but they would have had a good chance. 

You think they had a significant chance against the 2016 Raiders? 

1 hour ago, goose111874 said:

I don't know about this year or others but they ain't beating the 2016 Appo team.  That was one of the best teams I've seen and I've seen some good ones play in northern VA 

That 2016 Appomattox team is arguably the best 2A team in VHSL history.  I’m not sure it’s a winning argument, but you can make it and support it without immediately being discarded.  They beat Heritage (Lynchburg), who was a 4A region finalist that season.  They had 1 close game against Dan River.  They obliterated everyone else.  

Just now, foosballer said:

What are the possibilities that we see Riverheads competing in 2A in 2023? 

I hope so. Not because of the reasons most would suggest. I would love to see VHSL do the right thing for once in their existence and create the lowest classification, regardless of number of schools, exclusively for those schools that struggle with enrollment numbers. Maybe 300 and below? Then divide the remainder of the state into 3 or 4 equal classifications. 

3 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

Coin flip.  As mentioned above, VHSL is on the verge of FUBARing classifications throughout the state.  

^^^This is what I expect!!!^^^  As my grandfather once told me, "shit in one hand and wish in the other. Tell me which one fills up first." I hope VHSL does the right thing, but they won't.

12 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

That 2016 Appomattox team is arguably the best 2A team in VHSL history.  I’m not sure it’s a winning argument, but you can make it and support it without immediately being discarded.  They beat Heritage (Lynchburg), who was a 4A region finalist that season.  They had 1 close game against Dan River.  They obliterated everyone else.  

To play devils advocate, if that's the criteria, 2A PV in 1997 beat the 1A champ, the 3A champ and a 4A semi finalist. Only the 1A champ was one possession game. Best D4 semi finalist by 40, beat D3 champ by three TDs, didn't allow more than eight points til week nine, and won four playoff games 48-18, 41-21, 28-10 and 28-7. Not saying they clearly the best but they beat same elite teams and were in one game decided by less than 18 points all year (Appy, 20-14). 

I read some interesting articles about the proposals:

https://www.timesnews.net/sports/vhsl-committee-proposes-dropping-from-6-classes-to-4/article_e542e0fc-12ad-58c4-ac9d-fb6a176a9ceb.html

https://newsvirginian.com/sports/high-school/vhsl-exploring-classification-changes/article_1c4dc2a4-13f2-11eb-8285-5be7edf23249.html

One thing I found interesting was the statement "One interesting twist is that no matter what the classification setup looks like in 2023, the VHSL will start allowing each class to be its own governing body. For example, if Class 1 decides to make a rule change in a sport because of school size, it can do so and it will have no affect on the other classes."

Does this mean 2A if they choose can have sub divisions?

Also, the using grades 9 - 11 for numbers will shrink a school in size. 

1 hour ago, BigWinners said:

2016 Appo beats any school 1-2A by multiple TDs. Multiple.

This ^^^ to this day I’m still saying that’s the best team I’ve watched in person. If my memory serves me right no team in the playoffs came within 28 points of them. I’m taking them over the 2017 Blacksburg team which should have won it all in 4A.

1 hour ago, UVAObserver said:

To follow up, when they played Dan River it was in a monsoon with some of the worst field conditions I’ve ever seen. Union beat DR that year and then Appomattox blew them off the field. I’d assume Appomattox does the same to DR on a dry field. 

2 hours ago, sixcat said:

I hope so. Not because of the reasons most would suggest. I would love to see VHSL do the right thing for once in their existence and create the lowest classification, regardless of number of schools, exclusively for those schools that struggle with enrollment numbers. Maybe 300 and below? Then divide the remainder of the state into 3 or 4 equal classifications. 

Not sure if they would be enough teams to do it or not but I'd like to see them figure out something for schools like Rye Cove maybe have a class for 7 on 7.  It's not the kids fault they can't field a team when your school is so small.  Maybe if you can find 15 schools to join that should be plenty

5 minutes ago, goose111874 said:

Not sure if they would be enough teams to do it or not but I'd like to see them figure out something for schools like Rye Cove maybe have a class for 7 on 7.  It's not the kids fault they can't field a team when your school is so small.  Maybe if you can find 15 schools to join that should be plenty

Who cares how many schools are involved. VHSL should make it happen. Galax has done 8-Man football through the recreation department since shortly after Dixon became head coach. It was his idea to get, and keep, more kids involved. Other states have been doing it for decades.

1 hour ago, SWVAgridiron said:

This ^^^ to this day I’m still saying that’s the best team I’ve watched in person. If my memory serves me right no team in the playoffs came within 28 points of them. I’m taking them over the 2017 Blacksburg team which should have won it all in 4A.

It's one of the 3-4 best teams I've ever seen in lower divisions and that includes all those dominant Powell Valley teams from 1989-1998. I think 2016 Appo, 97 PV are two best I've ever seen. Seeing those two juggernauts would be wild. Could Appo slow down Juice? Could either team move the ball on dominant defenses?

2 hours ago, goose111874 said:

I'm a proponent of the SWVA/EKY small schools forming their own 8 man league: RC, TS, TW, Pineville, Harlan, Jenkins, Phelps. It makes sense to me.