Round 2 Updates

SWVAgridiron

16 minutes ago, Gfan said:

That kid had a hell of a game on both sides of the ball.

Agree.  The younger Meadows played very well.  Graham game planned well.  Union was content to double Bradshaw.  Bradshaw was essentially a decoy and Graham ran the ball very well.  Having a running back like Meadows to compliment Clements adds to Grahams Arsenal. Graham had over 300 yards rushing.  Great coaching job today for Graham.  G-men were tackling well and being physical.  I hate to hear about Sawyers getting hurt and possibly out for the rest of the playoffs.  Defense has indeed improved quite a bit.  It was evident today.

4 hours ago, GilesDavis4321 said:

Listening to this game, it sounded like Graham didn't out athlete Union with a ton of explosive plays. It sounded like Graham physically whipped Union. They beat Union up in a style of game that Union is usually the victor or aggressor. Without watching this game, it's clear to me that Graham's lineplay is dramatically different from game one through present.

Graham obviously can throw it, but when you can run between the tackles with that much ease, against a team like Union, it makes for a dangerous legitimate state title contender and Graham is certainly that, which is stating the obvious.

Graham beat Union playing Union’s kind of game. Hats off to the coaching staff. Defense was lights out except for a few plays. Offense just keep pounding it to get first downs, nothing fancy. The kickoff team is our greatest weakness in my unprofessional opinion. Line play definitely one of strengths. Hats off to Union, they’re still a solid team and Lomax even though they held him in check is still a beast of a player. 

Union still had 14 first downs in the game.  Grahams defense stepped up when they needed to.  Union had some critical penalties that didn't help also.  But hats off to the G men, they played well.  Scored on every possession except the one with the subs in the game.

5 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

Graham beat Union playing Union’s kind of game. Hats off to the coaching staff. Defense was lights out except for a few plays. Offense just keep pounding it to get first downs, nothing fancy. The kickoff team is our greatest weakness in my unprofessional opinion. Line okay definitely one of strengths. 

You are 100% right. Special teams are the greatest weakness for Graham. Hope they fix it quick could cost them going forward.

59 minutes ago, Union_Fan said:

I would like to apologize for the poor game we gave Graham today. I knew we were the underdogs coming in but very disappointed in the coaching, game plan and overall effort. Quite embarrassing to say the least.

Me too Graham is the better team but something happened around the Central game where some of the players seemed to not give much effort.  Don't have a clue what it was but that's around the time it happened

30 minutes ago, Real Sasquatch said:

Union still had 14 first downs in the game.  Grahams defense stepped up when they needed to.  Union had some critical penalties that didn't help also.  But hats off to the G men, they played well.  Scored on every possession except the one with the subs in the game.

The chop block on the first drive of second half was a biggie and then give up a TD 

3 minutes ago, goose111874 said:

Me too Graham is the better team but something happened around the Central game where some of the players seemed to not give much effort.  Don't have a clue what it was but that's around the time it happened

I have no idea why, but it seems clear that from game 1 to present, Unions lineplay didn't improve, stayed the same at best while Graham, Central, and RVs lineplay all improved.

Coach Palmer and his staff have this Graham team getting better every week. They look hard to beat in all aspects of the game. The only possible weakness is kick off coverage and to this point that hasn't really hurt them. Congrats G-Men!! Gotta say too that I was impressed by how many Union fans made the trip today! They showed great support for their Bears.

Didnt watch every single play as i was doing other things but caught most of it. Seems Union was getting big chunks, at least in the first half mostly from runs but also a couple pass plays. Then the big one before half where the guy was double covered. I believe Graham will need to tighten that up esp against more athletic teams they may face. They adjusted well. Defense looked much better 2nd half. Pulling for them to win it all. 

1 hour ago, GilesDavis4321 said:

I have no idea why, but it seems clear that from game 1 to present, Unions lineplay didn't improve, stayed the same at best while Graham, Central, and RVs lineplay all improved.

Lost one of their best lineman second or third game for the season.  Moving the ball hasn't been the problem it's driving 40 yards then getting a hold and picking up 2 yards next play then it's 2nd and 18.  I'd bet they averaged 7 holding calls a game

1 hour ago, goose111874 said:

Lost one of their best lineman second or third game for the season.  Moving the ball hasn't been the problem it's driving 40 yards then getting a hold and picking up 2 yards next play then it's 2nd and 18.  I'd bet they averaged 7 holding calls a game

Drive killing penalties. Killed us. 

13 minutes ago, Hokiebird7 said:

Why the hell would he even consider coming back to this mess? Go pro young man

I would enter the transfer portal. Really sell himself at whichever school he goes to. 

I wouldn’t chance being rusty. 

8 minutes ago, Mr. Gross to da man said:

Just crazy how you guys denied it, and now you show no shame about it. 

Denied what?

Let's go a little deeper with this year's Graham team and what could have been......... 

Due to kids having to move away Graham could've had an extra tackle. Layth Ghannan 6'5 260lbs plays at GW in Charleston Wv. Imagine him on the line with the current crew. The twins at George Wythe also moved away. I know all teams probably experience some of this from year to year but this team lost some really good talent.

21 minutes ago, Mr. Gross to da man said:

Just crazy how you guys denied it, and now you show no shame about it. 

Says the guy who joined the board tonight, lol.No one denied Graham had transfers. Kids transfer all the time for various reasons not related to football like a parents’ job. Even if they do transfer for football, who cares? I don’t begrudge any kid wanting to go where he thinks is the best fit for himself even if it’s not Graham. Did you join the board just to address this issue that obviously bothers you, lol? ((Big Hug)) Feel better?