Appomattox/Graham II, Electric Boogaloo

Deleted Account

17 minutes ago, GilesDavis4321 said:

Good Sign for Graham, end of first quarter and Appo with very little rushing yards.  Bad sign for Graham, end of first quarter and Appo is getting chuncks on the ground.  <------I know, this is an obvious "duh" statement, but it needs restated here because in 2019, aside from the blown coverages and questionable officiating, Graham got gashed on the ground.  If I'm not mistaken, Appo had close to 300 yds on the ground.  If you give up more than 250 on the ground in High School, you are usually losing.  The exception to that is critical turnovers like Union against Graham in their first matchup this season.  Appo in all of their wins over these years, sure special teams have been big, but they love to run the ball and then set up the pass.  If they aren't running the ball effectively, it's hard to set up the pass.  If Appo can't run against 7 in the box for Graham, Graham's in good shape.  If Appo can run against 7 in the box and forces Graham to add 8 in the box, it's a bad sign for the G-Men.  Only my opinion.

For Graham, it's a bit differenct on the offensive side of the ball compared to the above.  Graham's passing game is explosive enough to where they don't necessarily have to be effective in the run game with 7 in the box.  If a defense has only 7 in the box and stops Graham's run, Graham is explosive enough in the passing game to still move the ball effectively.  IF, and a big IF Graham is able to run on a team that has only 7 in the box, that team is in for a long day because it really opens up Graham's passing game.  

If you are going to load the box you have to be able to tackle. If you don't they will run us out of our own stadium.  

5 hours ago, Graham32 said:

If you are going to load the box you have to be able to tackle. If you don't they will run us out of our own stadium.  

Very True and there was a bit of lazy tackling going on this past saturday.  That will get you beat pretty quick against the likes of Appomattox.

6 hours ago, Real Sasquatch said:

Appomattox is heading up to Bluefield on Friday, leaving at noon.  I'm wondering if they will try to get an evening practice and morning walk-through in somewhere nearby?  Princeton, perhaps?

It's a lot for haul and maybe a good idea to spend the night but I'm not a fan of deviating from the norm as far as big games. Princeton probably best bet since Graham will be at Mitchell Friday. 

38 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

It's a lot for haul and maybe a good idea to spend the night but I'm not a fan of deviating from the norm as far as big games. Princeton probably best bet since Graham will be at Mitchell Friday. 

That's what I would think, too.  Bluefield High's practice field, possibly too.  I agree about deviating from the norm.  Making the long trip the morning of is tough too.

1 hour ago, Real Sasquatch said:

That's what I would think, too.  Bluefield High's practice field, possibly too.  I agree about deviating from the norm.  Making the long trip the morning of is tough too.

I always thought the long trip that we took in '19 the morning of wasn't the best scenario. Then again getting 50 kids in a hotel to go to bed may not be either. 

1 hour ago, Mountain Football said:

I always thought the long trip that we took in '19 the morning of wasn't the best scenario. Then again getting 50 kids in a hotel to go to bed may not be either. 

Not Appo's first rodeo at traveling and staying overnight, we have done it both times we have played at BSG. Usually most of the parents go with the team so an eye is kept on all of them very well. 

15 minutes ago, oldfool said:

Not Appo's first rodeo at traveling and staying overnight, we have done it both times we have played at BSG. Usually most of the parents go with the team so an eye is kept on all of them very well. 

maybe Appomattox's biggest advantage in the game right now is experience: travel, big games, unfamiliar opponents, etc. Its all nothing new to them 

10 hours ago, Real Sasquatch said:

Appomattox is heading up to Bluefield on Friday, leaving at noon.  I'm wondering if they will try to get an evening practice and morning walk-through in somewhere nearby?  Princeton, perhaps?

When anyone finds out where they're staying please share. The fire alarms I'm sure need tested.

2 hours ago, oldfool said:

I would recommend any of the fine hotels on Cumberland Rd in Bluefield, WV. The team is sure to get a good nights rest at these establishments.

14 minutes ago, Gfan said:

I would recommend any of the fine hotels on Cumberland Rd in Bluefield, WV. The team is sure to get a good nights rest at these establishments.

There's a "nice" one on 460 right outside of Bluefield, VA, on the left , gas station across the road to fuel the buses. Has about 16 rooms , could have the entire motel to themselves. 😂 . I'd say dirt cheap rates too. 

Just now, Gridiron60 said:

There's a "nice" one on 460 right outside of Bluefield, VA, on the left , gas station across the road to fuel the buses. Has about 16 rooms , could have the entire motel to themselves. 😂 . I'd say dirt cheap rates too. 

Sounds like the hotel alot of parents used to use when i was at Bluefield College back in the late 70's. I;m sure i dont know my way around town anymore.