Week 1 Updates

Iceman2553

7 minutes ago, tazdawgznation61 said:

Honaker 13

Lebanon 12 

Halftime 

Good game so far, Lebanon had they finished drives could be easily ahead in this one. Missed two opportunities inside the 5, and one costly penalty that erased a td.  Score could easily be 33 to 13 Pioneers had they cashed in on those drives, but that's football. 

Well.......Baylor gets a screen on Radford's 4th play of the second half and any normal player and the tackle would have been made as the GW defender was in pretty good position, but he just out athleted the defender and housed it from about 60 yds.  

Radford 14-8 lead in early third qtr.

Major Mistake by George Wythe.  Fumbles inside their 25 and Radford recovers at the Wytheville 20 yd line.

1st play, quick hitch to Baylor down to the 10 of George Wythe.  2nd play, read option from the Radford QB Clark, and he goes off the right tackle into the endzone.

Radford 22, Wytheville 8.  Mid 3rd.  Radford went for the two point conversion and got it with a spectacular play by the QB Clark.  

19 minutes ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Major Mistake by George Wythe.  Fumbles inside their 25 and Radford recovers at the Wytheville 20 yd line.

1st play, quick hitch to Baylor down to the 10 of George Wythe.  2nd play, read option from the Radford QB Clark, and he goes off the right tackle into the endzone.

Radford 22, Wytheville 8.  Mid 3rd.  Radford went for the two point conversion and got it with a spectacular play by the QB Clark.  

See he was rested up now that's great coaching

27 minutes ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Well that escalated quickly. 

Final.  Radford 29, George Wythe 15.

Radford is really, really talented.  Just athletes all over the field at WR, RB, QB, Secondary, and their lineplay is far, far better than last year, but.....I just think they could be a little better/suspect in the coaching dept.  They look like a team that still plays 10 points below its talent level, but only my opinion, could be wrong.

George Wythe is a lot better than last year.  i think they play with Galax.  I'm going to favor Galax to still win Region C, but not a major shock if GW were to win it.  Key injuries, who has them or who doesn't come playoff time, especially at the Class 1 level can greatly effect the outcome.  One thing for both Radford and George Wythe.  Weather nasty.  Completely soaked field and rain which does hinder offenses, especially wide open passing type offenses like Radford.  

1 minute ago, BBHoops_18 said:

George Wythe is a good team. I read they brought back their entire team minus maybe one or two guys. Not a lot of depth but that probably goes for most 1A teams. Number 10 Fowler is a tough kid.

I just wonder if GW fans on here are going to say coaches cost them the game. Last year, their coaches got a lot of flack on this board by GW loyals. 

Flipped over to Honaker and Lebanon.  Honaker with ball and a Big no call on potential pass inference at the one yd line of Lebanon on a 3rd and 15 for Honaker.  Coach Tiller let the officials know about it.  The next play, a clear as day pass inference and defensive holding (pick em, both happened) and Lebanon got the interception.  Lebanon got away with not one, but two in a row on the redzone drive by Honaker.  Coach Tiller let em have it after that INT no call on pass interference.  Had a right to be upset imo.  Great game that looks to be decided in the final minute or two.

29 minutes ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Final.  Radford 29, George Wythe 15.

Radford is really, really talented.  Just athletes all over the field at WR, RB, QB, Secondary, and their lineplay is far, far better than last year, but.....I just think they could be a little better/suspect in the coaching dept.  They look like a team that still plays 10 points below its talent level, but only my opinion, could be wrong.

George Wythe is a lot better than last year.  i think they play with Galax.  I'm going to favor Galax to still win Region C, but not a major shock if GW were to win it.  Key injuries, who has them or who doesn't come playoff time, especially at the Class 1 level can greatly effect the outcome.  One thing for both Radford and George Wythe.  Weather nasty.  Completely soaked field and rain which does hinder offenses, especially wide open passing type offenses like Radford.  

Any idea of Baylor kid’s total touches?  Ridiculous that he didn’t have any touches in the first half.  Talk about coaching yourself into a corner.  I wonder if  some coaches try to showcase their system over their playmakers.  Almost like an ego is in the way…..not sure.  I know that I have game plan that says….give it to the kid that Tech wants at least once every series and at least 15 times a game.  Then I have someone chart it in the press box to keep me on track.

6 minutes ago, tazdawgznation61 said:

Honaker 13

Lebanon 19

Final

Game shouldn't  have been close. Lebanon had a lot of missed  opportunities  tonight, but a win is a win. Definitely not last seasons Pioneers. 

Go Pioneers!

2 minutes ago, SwvaOG said:

Any idea of Baylor kid’s total touches?  Ridiculous that he didn’t have any touches in the first half.  Talk about coaching yourself into a corner.  I wonder if  some coaches try to showcase their system over their playmakers.  Almost like an ego is in the way…..not sure.  I know that I have game plan that says….give it to the kid that Tech wants at least once every series and at least 15 times a game.  Then I have someone chart it in the press box to keep me on track.

From what I could tell GW had a pretty good game plan on covering him to start the game out. Not sure why they changed that in the 2nd half. 

Just now, SwvaOG said:

Any idea of Bayler’s total touches?  Ridiculous that he didn’t have any touches in the first half.  Talk about coaching yourself into a corner.  I wonder if  some coaches try to showcase their system over their playmakers.  Almost like an ego is in the way…..not sure.  I know that I have game plan that says….give it to the kid that Tech wants at least once every series and at least 15 times a game.  Then I have someone chart it in the press box to keep me on track.

SwvaOG, we think alike man.  That may be a bad thing, lol.  When you wrote, some coaches try to showcase THEIR system over their playmakers and it almost like an ego being in the way, it's the exact first thing I thought of when watching the first half.  Ego, Pride, same thing.  But, I don't know.  It could be a confidence thing in the system instead of individual playmakers, but I don't suspect this is the case here.  Baylor got a lot more touches in the second half, probably about 5 or 6.  The danger for someone like Baylor, he can touch it 5 or 6 times with no yards or maybe 5 yards total, and then boom, touchdown, like tonight.  That's why he needs about 12-15 imo.  These athletes like this just don't come along annually for each team at the Class 2 level.  

1 minute ago, Mountain Football said:

From what I could tell GW had a pretty good game plan on covering him to start the game out. Not sure why they changed that in the 2nd half. 

Youngster is gonna see that a good amount this year.  Welcome to being keyed on.  Of course they may not call it that anymore, I’m showing my age.  

22 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

I just wonder if GW fans on here are going to say coaches cost them the game. Last year, their coaches got a lot of flack on this board by GW loyals. 

Im going to tell you how! 3 decisions by the coaches lost the game for the kids. they shut the VA tech star down all first half did a great job ben jollay pressed him and held him catch less. so we start the third 6 min drive stalls on the 40 so instead of punting to pin them deep or at least putting them on the 20 he runs the ball up the middle on 4th for no gain ball goes to radford. so mistake 2 he goes away from press puts a different guy on Baylor and gives him a 15 yd cushion needless to say he runs a curl beats one guy 50 yds later touchdown. mistake 3 we get ball on right back we decide to run an option with a wet ball and then we fumble way. if he just sticks with game plan and what was working not saying we win but we don't lose by 14. 

1 minute ago, SwvaOG said:

Youngster is gonna see that a good amount this year.  Welcome to being keyed on.  Of course they may not call it that anymore, I’m showing my age.  

Credit Crist for making the adjustment in the second half.  He's going to see help over the top all season long, but when that happens, a simple 5 yd hitch and get him the ball, or a jet sweep, etc.   The little hitch pass is the one he housed for a Touchdown if I'm not mistaken.  The thing is, against a team like Glenvar or even Galax, if the adjustment is made that late, it might be to late to recover.  

10 minutes ago, SwvaOG said:

he was pressed could break the press and that gave d line free run on QB 

Just now, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Credit Crist for making the adjustment in the second half.  He's going to see help over the top all season long, but when that happens, a simple 5 yd hitch and get him the ball, or a jet sweep, etc.   The little hitch pass is the one he housed for a Touchdown if I'm not mistaken.  The thing is, against a team like Glenvar or even Galax, if the adjustment is made that late, it might be to late to recover.  

he didnt make no adjustments, Harner quit pressing and gave him free releases on his two catches.