Week 1 Updates

Iceman2553

2 minutes ago, Jollay, living rent free said:

Im going to tell you how! 3 decisions by the coaches lost the game for the kids. they shut the VA tech star down all first half did a great job ben jollay pressed him and held him catch less. so we start the third 6 min drive stalls on the 40 so instead of punting to pin them deep or at least putting them on the 20 he runs the ball up the middle on 4th for no gain ball goes to radford. so mistake 2 he goes away from press puts a different guy on Baylor and gives him a 15 yd cushion needless to say he runs a curl beats one guy 50 yds later touchdown. mistake 3 we get ball on right back we decide to run an option with a wet ball and then we fumble way. if he just sticks with game plan and what was working not saying we win but we don't lose by 14. 

No offense Jollay, and GW did a great job on him, but he was running intermediate and long routes the first half.  GW didn't attempt to throw him a screen, be it a tunnel, bubble, no hitches or jetsweeps in the first half.  Radfords Coaches are equally responsible for shutting him down the first half.  With that written, a freakin monsoon out there and wet field helps as well.  When he touches it 5 or 6 times, he's going to house it one of those 5 or 6 times.

1 minute ago, Jollay, living rent free said:

he didnt make no adjustments, Harner quit pressing and gave him free releases on his two catches. 

He wasn't even targeted in the first half.  If you get pressed by a DB, you throw a bubble or tunnel screen and that quickly helps the defender stop pressing.  Radford attempted ZERO tunnels or bubbles for 4 quarters.

Just now, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

He wasn't even targeted in the first half.  If you get pressed by a DB, you throw a bubble or tunnel screen and that quickly helps the defender stop pressing.  Radford attempted ZERO tunnels or bubbles for 4 quarters.

yea because he was being pressed why cant you just say GW had a good game plan first half and they killed the QB about every time he dropped back. then second half comes and we sit back in zone.  dumb dumb. i would take my chances doing what they did in first half. but we will never know. 

11 minutes ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

SwvaOG, we think alike man.  That may be a bad thing, lol.  When you wrote, some coaches try to showcase THEIR system over their playmakers and it almost like an ego being in the way, it's the exact first thing I thought of when watching the first half.  Ego, Pride, same thing.  But, I don't know.  It could be a confidence thing in the system instead of individual playmakers, but I don't suspect this is the case here.  Baylor got a lot more touches in the second half, probably about 5 or 6.  The danger for someone like Baylor, he can touch it 5 or 6 times with no yards or maybe 5 yards total, and then boom, touchdown, like tonight.  That's why he needs about 12-15 imo.  These athletes like this just don't come along annually for each team at the Class 2 level.  

In the wise words from one Yogi Bear “indubitably”.  

21 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

I just wonder if GW fans on here are going to say coaches cost them the game. Last year, their coaches got a lot of flack on this board by GW loyals. 

Hey now, there's only one GW Loyal here 😂

Seriously, I'm not upset with anything I saw tonight. We have some things to clean up, but I didn't expect to see the best version of this team in Week 1. We lost some 1v1 matchups, but Radford has kids that will win a lot of 1v1's. Defensively, we were in position pretty much all night to make plays, but didn't quite get it done. Credit to that goes to Radford. We didn't attack the perimeter as much as I would like, sure, but that's not a terrible thing against the Bobcats, who year in and out can match (and a lot of years, overmatch) our speed on the edge. 

All in all, both teams had drives start inside the others 30. Radford cashed....We got shut out on 4th and goal. Late TD aside, that was pretty much the swing. 

Very, very proud of the 99 yard TD drive we had in the 4th to cut it to 7 and the following 3 and out to give us a chance to tie or take the lead with all 3 timeouts left. It didn't work out, obviously, but the work it took to create that kind of opportunity against a team like the Bobcats is never a loss....it's a lesson. We'll be better if we find ourselves in that position again. 

In regards to the coaches, I never felt like they lost us a game last year, and I certainly don't feel like they did tonight. I don't always agree with things, but who does? I was in the stands in the 80's and I'll be in the stands until I just physically can't. A lot of those fans you are referring to will pop up for 2-4 years, only to never been seen again. I don't have to explain why lol! But I completely understand what you mean by that statement. I'm kinda wondering the same, my friend lol

15 minutes ago, Jollay, living rent free said:

yea because he was being pressed why cant you just say GW had a good game plan first half and they killed the QB about every time he dropped back. then second half comes and we sit back in zone.  dumb dumb. i would take my chances doing what they did in first half. but we will never know. 

Nobody wrote about pressure on the QB by GW. We were talking about Baylor and because GW had a great game plan against him does not change the fact that Radford REFUSED to get him the ball in the first half.  You hand the ball to him, pitch it, jet sweep, direct snap, you get your Div 1 athlete the football and if he gets tackled, then so be it.

I stated credit to GW. I also stated GW may win the region. In the 2nd half, GW contained him pretty well also on 4 of the 5 touches, but with a kid like Baylor, he's taking one of the 5 to the house. GWs defensive line pressure is the reason they were in the game and only down a TD in the 4th with a chance to tie it. Great lineplay by GW.

3 minutes ago, gwloyal said:

Hey now, there's only one GW Loyal here 😂

Seriously, I'm not upset with anything I saw tonight. We have some things to clean up, but I didn't expect to see the best version of this team in Week 1. We lost some 1v1 matchups, but Radford has kids that will win a lot of 1v1's. Defensively, we were in position pretty much all night to make plays, but didn't quite get it done. Credit to that goes to Radford. We didn't attack the perimeter as much as I would like, sure, but that's not a terrible thing against the Bobcats, who year in and out can match (and a lot of years, overmatch) our speed on the edge. 

All in all, both teams had drives start inside the others 30. Radford cashed....We got shut out on 4th and goal. Late TD aside, that was pretty much the swing. 

Very, very proud of the 99 yard TD drive we had in the 4th to cut it to 7 and the following 3 and out to give us a chance to tie or take the lead with all 3 timeouts left. It didn't work out, obviously, but the work it took to create that kind of opportunity against a team like the Bobcats is never a loss....it's a lesson. We'll be better if we find ourselves in that position again. 

In regards to the coaches, I never felt like they lost us a game last year, and I certainly don't feel like they did tonight. I don't always agree with things, but who does? I was in the stands in the 80's and I'll be in the stands until I just physically can't. A lot of those fans you are referring to will pop up for 2-4 years, only to never been seen again. I don't have to explain why lol! But I completely understand what you mean by that statement. I'm kinda wondering the same, my friend lol

Wasn’t directed at you , just a general state in regards to comments made on here in the past, maybe should have used GW Fans instead of GW Loyals 😂

Just now, Gridiron60 said:

Wasn’t directed at you , just a general state in regards to comments made on here in the past, maybe should have used GW Fans instead of GW Loyals 😂

LMAO I know, man. It's all good. I just saw the name and couldn't help myself lol! I was dropping in to chit chat a little about the game anyway. It's just not often I get an introduction, ya know 🤣

6 minutes ago, Jollay, living rent free said:

Here is a fourth screw up, 1st and goal from the 3 and we cant punch it in. No under center play, snapping ball 7 yd deep to get 3 yds. does that make sense. ill hang up and listen. well im about off my soap box. lol good night. on to next week lol 

There's two schools of thought on this, and neither are wrong.

First, there's yours....And I get it.

Second....Why put yourself in a high-risk turnover situation? We virtually never go under center. I've seen many GW teams even line up in victory formation to take knees out of the pistol or gun. And what's the difference in doing that or going under center just to turn around and hand it to a running back who is lined up 7 yards deep? I mean, we aren't going to sneak it from the 3

2 hours ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Flipped over to Honaker and Lebanon.  Honaker with ball and a Big no call on potential pass inference at the one yd line of Lebanon on a 3rd and 15 for Honaker.  Coach Tiller let the officials know about it.  The next play, a clear as day pass inference and defensive holding (pick em, both happened) and Lebanon got the interception.  Lebanon got away with not one, but two in a row on the redzone drive by Honaker.  Coach Tiller let em have it after that INT no call on pass interference.  Had a right to be upset imo.  Great game that looks to be decided in the final minute or two.

The officiating tonight was….not great.

Although, just so the grapes aren’t deemed too sour, Leb could point to several bad calls as well I am sure-not a stellar night for anyone really. Both teams were sloppy and while it was an exciting game-it wasn’t really a good game. 

I would of liked to have watched more of the Radford - GW game but when the rain set in I headed home so I basically watched the 1st qtr. This is probably the best team GW has put on the field in several years and Radford looks to have talent all over the field. Both teams looked good and sloppy at the same time with first game jitters which is to be expected. Like I said I didn't see much of the game but both of these teams have the ability to make some noise this year.