2D/1D/1C Seeding Projections/Scenarios

Union_Fan

1 hour ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

If you are Graham or Ridgeview, you want to miss Union in round 2.  Either Graham or Ridgeview will be playing Union in round 2 of the playoffs (if Union wins game 1).  It looks like Union is headed for a 4 or 5 seed.  If that's the case, if you are Graham, you want Ridgeview to outpoint you and finish 1st.  If you are a Ridgeview fan, you want the opposite.  

I don’t think Graham wants Ridgeview to out point them just to avoid Union. The preference would be to have the region D title decided at Mitchell. I think Graham will be back to full strength this week. No disrespect to Union but the biggest advantage is home field.

1 hour ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

If you are Graham or Ridgeview, you want to miss Union in round 2.  Either Graham or Ridgeview will be playing Union in round 2 of the playoffs (if Union wins game 1).  It looks like Union is headed for a 4 or 5 seed.  If that's the case, if you are Graham, you want Ridgeview to outpoint you and finish 1st.  If you are a Ridgeview fan, you want the opposite.  

Doesn't matter who it is. We have to get through the 1st round...first. 

3 hours ago, CPF said:

I was told by sources at 2 different schools that there is a rule that states any game not played after week 5 is considered a forfeit, and will count in the standings. So there might very well be an adjustment coming.

I have no clue if there is a rule about that or not, but VHSL did just update their PP ratings at 1:24 today, and it does show a Galax victory over Auburn. That also bumped Graham up to 27.5 (220 pts).

GMen fans can breathe easy now. haha

10 hours ago, Union_Fan said:

The Central/Grundy game is irrelevant to everyone but Central and Richlands. Ridgeview will have the same points regardless of the winner and because GC, Union and Va High all played Central, they'll all go up or down equally. Graham and Va High will be big RC and TS fans the next two weeks.

Burton over RC, Lebanon over RR and TS over TW

Rank Team Record Total Points Rating
01.) Graham 10-0 276 27.6
02.) Ridgeview 10-0 276 27.6
03.) Gate City 7-3 228 22.8
04.) Union 7-3 227 22.7
05.) Va High 8-2 226 22.6
06.) Lee 6-4 213 21.3
07.) Tazewell 6-4 198 19.8
08.) Central-Wise 4-6 167 16.7

RC over Burton, RR over Lebanon and TS over TW

02.) Ridgeview 10-0 274 27.4
03.) Gate City 7-3 226 22.6
04.) Union 7-3 225 22.5
05.) Va High 8-2 224 22.4
06.) Lee 6-4 213 21.3

RR over Lebanon, Burton over RC and TS over TW

02.) Ridgeview 10-0 276 27.6
03.) Union 7-3 227 22.7
04.) Gate City 7-3 226 22.6
06.) Lee 6-4 213 21.3

RR over Lebanon, RC over Burton and TW over TS

03.) Union 7-3 227 22.7
04.) Gate City 7-3 226 22.6
06.) Lee 6-4 213 21.3

Lebanon over RR, RC over Burton and TS over TW

03.) Gate City 7-3 228 22.8
04.) Va High 8-2 226 22.6
05.) Union 7-3 225 22.5
06.) Lee 6-4 213 21.3

Lebanon over RR, RC over Burton, TS over TW AND what if Central upsets GC. 

03.) Va High 8-2 228 22.8
04.) Union 7-3 226 22.6
05.) Lee 6-4 214 21.4
06.) Gate City 6-4 213 21.3
08.) Central-Wise 5-5 184 18.4

So what happens if Grundy and Gate City beat Central and Richalnds loses out?

On 10/24/2022 at 6:57 PM, Hokiebird7 said:

Cause it's the same joke every year....sorry your beloved blues have won 2/8 games...but do you honestly think a 2-6 team DESERVES a reward? I'm sure you do but thought I'd ask anyway

Since you asked, I'd be fine if it went back to the top 6 like it once was. But it's not currently. 

So yes, I would like to see Richalnds get in. I can't make it to the Virginia High game next week, and I'd like to get to see them play one more time after this Friday night. There's no guarantee that any of us will still be around next August when the season rolls back around, so I enjoy EVERY game that I get to see, regardless if that's a 2-8 team in the playoffs or an 8-2 team. Time is fleeting, I'd like to enjoy what time I do have. 

9 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

Since you asked, I'd be fine if it went back to the top 6 like it once was. But it's not currently. 

So yes, I would like to see Richalnds get in. I can't make it to the Virginia High game next week, and I'd like to get to see them play one more time after this Friday night. There's no guarantee that any of us will still be around next August when the season rolls back around, so I enjoy EVERY game that I get to see, regardless if that's a 2-8 team in the playoffs or an 8-2 team. Time is fleeting, I'd like to enjoy what time I do have. 

Still don't answer my question..

Does a 2-8 team DESERVE a playoff spot?

25 minutes ago, Hokiebird7 said:

It doesn't matter under the current system who deserves what. It only matters whay the rules say. What you or I feel about whether a team does or does not deserve anything doesn't matter.  

31 minutes ago, Hokiebird7 said:

No, any team that ends up 2-8 shouldn’t be in the playoffs but unfortunately, the VHSL has a flawed system in place that allows this to happen. If Region D had several more schools, then maybe not but unfortunately with only 11 teams & 8 spots, not much can be done about it.  Kids that wouldn’t get to play one more game get to have that chance. It just drags out the season into December which I dislike. If they would eliminate the bye week & start a week earlier in August that would eliminate December playoffs though. That makes too much sense. 

27 minutes ago, Hokiebird7 said:

They deserve just as much as a team with a winning record/better seed making bank on points due to playing decent smaller schools with winning records.  Kids are guaranteed one more week to play a game, that most will never play again so enjoy one more show and appreciate it.  Hell I wish they could do the plus-one again like the covid year so those non-qualifiers could play one last time.  Put yourself in their shoes.  JSB/Mar/TW/Eastside/etc. for example get a chance to call someone and more than likely to get an evenly matched game for a final would probably be the most excitement they've had all season after taking a bunch on the chin.  

Strictly on the competitive side of things, make it top 4 so it means a lot more to do well the entire season.

10 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

They deserve just as much as a team with a winning record/better seed making bank on points due to playing decent smaller schools with winning records.  Kids are guaranteed one more week to play a game, that most will never play again so enjoy one more show and appreciate it.  Hell I wish they could do the plus-one again like the covid year so those non-qualifiers could play one last time.  Put yourself in their shoes.  JSB/Mar/TW/Eastside/etc. for example get a chance to call someone and more than likely to get an evenly matched game for a final would probably be the most excitement they've had all season after taking a bunch on the chin.  

Thank you. This is how I feel. I don't care how many get it. I love watching them play the game. 

10 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Strictly on the competitive side of things, make it top 4 so it means a lot more to do well the entire season.

I do agree to top 4 to make regular season count for something....basically now it means nothing at all...basically show up and you're in playoffs

14 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

No, any team that ends up 2-8 shouldn’t be in the playoffs but unfortunately, the VHSL has a flawed system in place that allows this to happen. If Region D had several more schools, then maybe not but unfortunately with only 11 teams & 8 spots, not much can be done about it.  Kids that wouldn’t get to play one more game get to have that chance. It just drags out the season into December which I dislike. If they would eliminate the bye week & start a week earlier in August that would eliminate December playoffs though. That makes too much sense. 

Seen a few years back where a 0-10 team made playoffs I think in Tn if I’m not mistaken 

4 minutes ago, Duke2015 said:

Seen a few years back where a 0-10 team made playoffs I think in Tn if I’m not mistaken 

I think maybe 1-9 made it in one of the other regions a couple years back in VA not sure the class but I remember this same conversation on this vary board when it happened. Where there aren’t a lot of teams, it’s going to happen. If the players don’t mind being the sacrificial slaughter, then I suppose we adults shouldn’t complain too much. Like everyone said, it gives some Seniors one last time to play. 

I recall a few years where VHS was winning the district at 4-6 (terry smith) and making the playoffs.  reclassification helped a little, but simply make it top 4 or play your district schedule, top 2 out of district go to region would work until the districts become far apart talent-wise.  I wish it meant more to win the district but it's just another game weekly.  Several times up through the 90s you'd have a district champ that had a lower PPR than other teams in the region but would make the playoffs and host 1st rd. because they won their district.  That was a terrible idea, VHSCL. (C-communist)

27 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

I recall a few years where VHS was winning the district at 4-6 (terry smith) and making the playoffs.  reclassification helped a little, but simply make it top 4 or play your district schedule, top 2 out of district go to region would work until the districts become far apart talent-wise.  I wish it meant more to win the district but it's just another game weekly.  Several times up through the 90s you'd have a district champ that had a lower PPR than other teams in the region but would make the playoffs and host 1st rd. because they won their district.  That was a terrible idea, VHSCL. (C-communist)

I feel like when the Highlands district was around there was always a 4-6, 5-5 team making the playoffs 

The points system is flawed. Using Tazewell for an example this season (which I know is an outlier) will get 15 points for losing to a 9-1 Riverheads team. If they would’ve scheduled Montcalm instead and won they would’ve received 36 points plus had a 2 & a half hour less drive.

I’m not sure what the right answer is to fix it so I shouldn’t complain but the system is set to for you schedule weaker competition that you know you can win 5-9 games with a weaker schedule.  Competition doesn’t get rewarded. 

4 minutes ago, EH31 said:

I feel like when the Highlands district was around there was always a 4-6, 5-5 team making the playoffs 

the highlands, made up of several of the old swd teams plus lee for about 10-15 years maybe was tough and a 5-5 schedule depending on who played who out of district could be good enough to still score a spot.  Plus there were div III and div IV in the district.

yea, early 2000s it seems before becoming the clinch mountain.   gate city i believe had left for the lpd, lee fell off, abingdon avg, lebanon in and out of hogo i believe, marion still marion for the most part, so it just continued to get weaker.  5-5 would get you into the playoffs as a number 4 sometimes but during this time you could be a district champ and be one and done in the playoffs.

Someone should ask the kids from Cumberland High School how they felt about "suiting up more time." Cumberland finished 0-10 in 2017 and was awarded a playoff berth against Lunenburg Central, a team that curb-stomped them in the regular season.  The playoff game went no better.  And guess what happened in 2018? Cumberland (0-10) was awarded a playoff berth yet again against, you guessed it, Lunenburg Central. And, yes, another woodshed beating that year. 

So... to those of you who support eight playoff teams per region, is this an acceptable consequence?

11 minutes ago, Liam McPoyle said:

Someone should ask the kids from Cumberland High School how they felt about "suiting up more time." Cumberland finished 0-10 in 2017 and was awarded a playoff berth against Lunenburg Central, a team that curb-stomped them in the regular season.  The playoff game went no better.  And guess what happened in 2018? Cumberland (0-10) was awarded a playoff berth yet again against, you guessed it, Lunenburg Central. And, yes, another woodshed beating that year. 

So... to those of you who support eight playoff teams per region, is this an acceptable consequence?

I guess they would say we had a good time in the playoffs even though we got beat. At least we got to play one more time, especially the seniors.