Fort Chiswell @ John S. Battle
Marion @ Rural Retreat 
Floyd Co. @ Galax
Christiansburg @ Giles
Blacksburg @ Glenvar

SATURDAY, 8/19     

Fauquier @ Riverheads  1:00 SCRIM

3 hours ago, Real Sasquatch said:

Wednesday?  Was planning on going down on Thursday....  Guess I'll try to go a day earlier.

2 hours ago, SpillBoss said:

Yep, that makes two of us.

If you're interested in food offerings in and around Hillsville, Toasters Deli and The Mason Jar are both exceptional. Well worth your time. You won't be disappointed with either. 

29 minutes ago, sixcat said:

If you're interested in food offerings in and around Hillsville, Toasters Deli and The Mason Jar are both exceptional. Well worth your time. You won't be disappointed with either. 

I'm always interested in food offerings...

38 minutes ago, Real Sasquatch said:

I'm always interested in food offerings...

Toasters Deli is owned and operated by a family from NYC. Covid caused the family to lose the Deli in NYC that had been in their family for (I think) 5 generations and moved full time to a family vacation home in Fancy Gap. They opened Toasters Deli in Hillsville and it has blossomed. Exceptional deli with almost everything made in-house. 

The Mason Jar is a pub. The Chesapeake Burger is the best I've ever had anywhere. It has house-made crab dip on the burger!!!

Toasters is likely well worth it then. Anytime you here of a deli or sandwich/sub shop where the owner operators are from the Northeast, especially NYC, it's usually right on point. In Surfside Beach (South Myrtle) where I spend lots of time in the winter, we have a bakery shop where the owners are from Brooklyn-NYC. Simply put, the BEST in the Grand Strand metro area. They know how to do sandwiches and bread in the Northeast.  More times than most, when they come South, it's quality.

3 hours ago, sixcat said:

Toasters Deli is owned and operated by a family from NYC. Covid caused the family to lose the Deli in NYC that had been in their family for (I think) 5 generations and moved full time to a family vacation home in Fancy Gap. They opened Toasters Deli in Hillsville and it has blossomed. Exceptional deli with almost everything made in-house. 

The Mason Jar is a pub. The Chesapeake Burger is the best I've ever had anywhere. It has house-made crab dip on the burger!!!

I may be stopping at Toasters on the way in.

15 hours ago, sixcat said:

Travel that way enough for other reasons.  Ill hold on to that place for one of those trips.  Always like finding places like that with a history or just simply good eats.

14 hours ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Toasters is likely well worth it then. Anytime you hear of a deli or sandwich/sub shop where the owner operators are from the Northeast, especially NYC, it's usually right on point. In Surfside Beach (South Myrtle) where I spend lots of time in the winter, we have a bakery shop where the owners are from Brooklyn-NYC. Simply put, the BEST in the Grand Strand metro area. They know how to do sandwiches and bread in the Northeast.  More times than most, when they come South, it's quality.

Mannys?

Tentative Schedule for Burton Jamboree 08/18

4:00pm Burton vs. Hurley

5:00pm Rye Cove vs. Hurley

6:00pm Rye Cove vs. Patrick Henry 

7:00pm Thomas Walker vs. Patrick Henry 

8:00pm Thomas Walker vs. Central

9:00pm Burton vs. Central

On 8/9/2023 at 8:22 AM, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

GC vs West Ridge?  How did GC look?  I read about Union and Elizabethton.  Didn't see anything yet on GC.

First day in pads and it was against a 6A school that has already scrimmaged. I don't take much away from these first scrimmages but the line definitely needs work on both sides of the ball before the trip to Richlands. We'll see how things look against Virginia High next Thursday. Having said that, I think our only score came from a lineman with a fumble return towards the end of the scrimmage..lol. I heard we had a couple of starting linemen out also but like I said we'll hopefully see improvement next week.

Got to watch the Giles/HV scrimmage today and it was not what I expected. Spartans did not run the traditional style single-wing like we have the last 44 years. It’s still technically the single wing but with some spice. A lot more misdirection and HV struggled stopping us from getting positive yardage. We will see how well it does next week against a very good Christiansburg team. 

12 minutes ago, SWVAgridiron said:

Got to watch the Giles/HV scrimmage today and it was not what I expected. Spartans did not run the traditional style single-wing like we have the last 44 years. It’s still technically the single wing but with some spice. A lot more misdirection and HV struggled stopping us from getting positive yardage. We will see how well it does next week against a very good Christiansburg team. 

Interesting. How did they look running that spice?

17 minutes ago, nrv_football said:

Interesting. How did they look running that spice?

I was impressed by it. All the fans that came had positive comments about it as well. Still hard to judge bc I don’t know squat about HV. They definitely had the size advantage over us but they were very confused trying to defend it.

13 hours ago, SWVAgridiron said:

I was impressed by it. All the fans that came had positive comments about it as well. Still hard to judge bc I don’t know squat about HV. They definitely had the size advantage over us but they were very confused trying to defend it.

I wonder if Giles has an issue scheduling scrimmages.  I'm not sure I would schedule them unless they were in my region.  I mean, how much are you going to teach your defense, early in the season, about stopping that wretched offense? Lol.  

If it works, Good!  I heard about the planned adjustments, but still excited to see what it looks like in person.  I didn't watch the scrimmage.  Whether a wing offense, wishbone, wide open, or power formations, it still comes down to blocking, technique, execution.  If we do that well, we will be good.  If we don't, then we won't.