2023 scrims/jams/bg's

VHSLhelper

30 minutes ago, SwvaOG said:

I wonder if Giles has an issue scheduling scrimmages.  I'm not sure I would schedule them unless they were in my region.  I mean, how much are you going to teach your defense, early in the season, about stopping that wretched offense? Lol.  

Not to my knowledge SwvaOG.  One thing or positive for a defense that could be learned or worked on when scrimmaging the Spartans is containment/staying in lanes/assignment decisions/discipline, especially for the linebackers and defensive ends.

37 minutes ago, SwvaOG said:

I wonder if Giles has an issue scheduling scrimmages.  I'm not sure I would schedule them unless they were in my region.  I mean, how much are you going to teach your defense, early in the season, about stopping that wretched offense? Lol.  

Wretched has worked

38 minutes ago, SwvaOG said:

We have scrimmaged Hidden Valley every year for the last 15 years. They actually like scrimmaging against Giles. HV plays in a very tough district with run heavy teams like Pulaski, Cburg, and Salem so I think it helps them.

17 minutes ago, KW23 said:

Anyone go to George Wythe today?  Was wondering how Rural Retreat did.   I heard Mt Airy dominated Grayson County and Floyd County that's all I know.

Same boat here.  Hoping to hear has Narrows did with Richlands and Galax since I couldn't make it.  

On NFHS

I watched Giles vs H. Valley.  Giles looked pretty good.  Not great or state title good, but pretty good.  What we are seeing with the wing is a cool adjustment.  Basically, a lot easier to get the ball in open space or to the outside (faster developing) than years past, and a few other adjustments. 

I watched Marion vs Honaker.  I thought BOTH teams looked good.  Honaker is going to be good.  Honaker gave up some missed assignment type plays and a flukey interception.  It's early and to be expected.  Honaker will clean that up and they are going to be a real problem in 1D.  Marion might play with Richlands, Tazewell, VH, and Lebanon and no suprise if they win 2 of the 4.  I haven't seen the other 4 yet, but this Marion team is much better than years passed just based on talent, size, play makers on the field.  No offense, but most Marion teams since Carroll left have just not looked good and they haven't been good.  This team looks much better this year.  The D1 kid for them is a damn monster.

Byrd vs Glenvar. How was Byrd 3-8 last year?  Did they transplant a new team or get 15 transfers?  Alarmingly impressive.  Huge, Lightening Quick, QB amazing, linebackers explosive.  They physically whipped Glenvar and they were also a whole lot faster.  That William Byrd team is good.  I think Glenvar is also going to be very good.   They looked about like last year in early scrimmages, but Byrd looked like the old William Byrd, but my God, with more speed.

No way to tell records who finishes what based on what is basically a glorified practice from the 3 contests above.  I'm basically just looking at talent when I watch a scrimmage and try to compare how a team looks in talent compared to itself the year before, and comparing it more to itself the year before than I am the scrimmage opponent on the same field.  Just my opinions above, and again, only a glorified practice.  

24 minutes ago, SW_VA_boy said:

Same boat here.  Hoping to hear has Narrows did with Richlands and Galax since I couldn't make it.  

I heard that Narrows and Richlands were about even. Narrows scored on pass plays(I’m assuming to Pruett) Narrows scored a few TDs on Galax and kept Galax from scoring

51 minutes ago, KW23 said:

Anyone go to George Wythe today?  Was wondering how Rural Retreat did.   I heard Mt Airy dominated Grayson County and Floyd County that's all I know.

Mt. Airy dominating Grayson and Floyd County has no bad bearings on Grayson or Floyd.  Mt. Airy will likely repeat as State Champions in North Carolina and would play with Virginia's elite Class 3 schools.  They are that good.  They are a machine.

30 minutes ago, SWVAgridiron said:

I heard that Narrows and Richlands were about even. Narrows scored on pass plays(I’m assuming to Pruett) Narrows scored a few TDs on Galax and kept Galax from scoring

Thank you sir.  As long as there were no injuries, I know they'll certainly take that as a good day.

1 hour ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Mt. Airy dominating Grayson and Floyd County has no bad bearings on Grayson or Floyd.  Mt. Airy will likely repeat as State Champions in North Carolina and would play with Virginia's elite Class 3 schools.  They are that good.  They are a machine.

I know I watched Mt Airy win state last season.  I was just stating thats all I had heard so far?  Who is Marion's D1 player you mentioned if dont know his name what position?  I might go watch Rural retreat play them in benefit game next week.

1 hour ago, SW_VA_boy said:

Thank you sir.  As long as there were no injuries, I know they'll certainly take that as a good day.

No sir not any injuries thankfully. I did hear that a Narz and Galax player had a heated moment and both had to sit out a few plays but that was about it. From what I heard Narrows may struggle running the ball but still can be a threat passing despite losing Crigger 

45 minutes ago, KW23 said:

I know I watched Mt Airy win state last season.  I was just stating thats all I had heard so far?  Who is Marion's D1 player you mentioned if dont know his name what position?  I might go watch Rural retreat play them in benefit game next week.

Austin Coe - an Air Force Recruit.

https://www.hudl.com/profile/14056417/Austin-Coe

2 hours ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

On NFHS

I watched Giles vs H. Valley.  Giles looked pretty good.  Not great or state title good, but pretty good.  What we are seeing with the wing is a cool adjustment.  Basically, a lot easier to get the ball in open space or to the outside (faster developing) than years past, and a few other adjustments. 

I watched Marion vs Honaker.  I thought BOTH teams looked good.  Honaker is going to be good.  Honaker gave up some missed assignment type plays and a flukey interception.  It's early and to be expected.  Honaker will clean that up and they are going to be a real problem in 1D.  Marion might play with Richlands, Tazewell, VH, and Lebanon and no suprise if they win 2 of the 4.  I haven't seen the other 4 yet, but this Marion team is much better than years passed just based on talent, size, play makers on the field.  No offense, but most Marion teams since Carroll left have just not looked good and they haven't been good.  This team looks much better this year.  The D1 kid for them is a damn monster.

Byrd vs Glenvar. How was Byrd 3-8 last year?  Did they transplant a new team or get 15 transfers?  Alarmingly impressive.  Huge, Lightening Quick, QB amazing, linebackers explosive.  They physically whipped Glenvar and they were also a whole lot faster.  That William Byrd team is good.  I think Glenvar is also going to be very good.   They looked about like last year in early scrimmages, but Byrd looked like the old William Byrd, but my God, with more speed.

No way to tell records who finishes what based on what is basically a glorified practice from the 3 contests above.  I'm basically just looking at talent when I watch a scrimmage and try to compare how a team looks in talent compared to itself the year before, and comparing it more to itself the year before than I am the scrimmage opponent on the same field.  Just my opinions above, and again, only a glorified practice.  

Did they do the onside kick Everytime

And go on 4th down everytime. That coach didn't fool anybody

49 minutes ago, SWVAgridiron said:

No sir not any injuries thankfully. I did hear that a Narz and Galax player had a heated moment and both had to sit out a few plays but that was about it. From what I heard Narrows may struggle running the ball but still can be a threat passing despite losing Crigger 

Sounds like how it was last year wrt the running game. Losing Crigger is huge on the edge and on special teams.  

35 minutes ago, SW_VA_boy said:

Sounds like how it was last year wrt the running game. Losing Crigger is huge on the edge and on special teams.  

Agree that’s a big loss. Narrows should win the Pioneer if they can get past PM. The game against James Monroe might get a little ugly though considering everyone they returned. 

Central Woodstock vs Warren County Scrimmage. Central looked physical again. They looked similar to last year. Looked solid on defense and offense, nothing fancy, just ran the ball. It was like most scrimmages. Very vanilla. Central though, regarding the eye test, "looks good" regarding across the board talent for whatever "looks good" means in a simple scrimmage. 

In the east Poquoson got the best of Heritage of NNews and king William last night according to 1 KW guy and a Poquoson fan that I texted with this morning.  Said Heritage had a lot of speed but undisciplined an both KW and Poquoson looked good. Them two probably will play in regionA title game again for 3rd or 4th straight time

15 hours ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Has to be asked....:

Do they whistle their fight song??

Mt Airy will be leaning heavily on Ernest T Bass this season. STRENGTHS: While best known for his strong and accurate arm, his speed and elusiveness make him a true dual-threat.   CONCERNS/WEAKNESSES: Issues with authority make him nearly un-coachable, Vandalism, Academics.  OUTLOOK: Despite the legal concerns and apparent illiteracy, Bass remains a top target for UNC.