2023 scrims/jams/bg's

VHSLhelper

58 minutes ago, TripleThreat said:

PH looks to be stout this year. All roads seem to lead to Honaker @ PH in October for the Hogo 

Please expound about PH. I’m aware of the D1 lineman, but am not aware if the backs (McFail and Goodspeed?) return. 

1 hour ago, TripleThreat said:

PH looks to be stout this year. All roads seem to lead to Honaker @ PH in October for the Hogo 

Dont sleep on Rural Retreat they took PH to overtime in last years game before losing 48 to 42.  I think 1D will be a lot of good competitive games.  Hurley and Twin Springs could have a lot of power points at end of season due to easy schedules.

31 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

We were lucky Mance stayed as long as he did. There were rumors of him making the exact jump he did pretty much as soon as his son graduated, but he stayed several more years. 

Not all coaches who make that jump have success. I think Mance would be successful anywhere he went. Sounds like he has brought much success to his current team in South Carolina.

14 minutes ago, Hokie Bound said:

Not all coaches who make that jump have success. I think Mance would be successful anywhere he went. Sounds like he has brought much success to his current team in South Carolina.

He has. Loris wasn't any good. He's turned that around in fairly quick time. He just plays a ridiculous schedule. 

30 minutes ago, tornado99 said:

Please expound about PH. I’m aware of the D1 lineman, but am not aware if the backs (McFail and Goodspeed?) return. 

PH has had a great run of athletes over the past decade and it looks like its going to continue for awhile. Plus when the VHSL put a hard cap of 475 for Class 1 it left PH as one of the state's largest schools in that classification which has led to success for the Rebels and it continues to carry on. 

3 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

When it was Richlands it was clearly recruiting -- but when it's Graham is just the Tony Palmer effect. Can't you see the difference?!?!

It's recruiting at both places...I know for a fact Graham recruited a certain person the last year plus....coaches made calls 2-3 times a week....so don't act like palmer is attracting all these players....some yes bur there is recruiting going on too

33 minutes ago, KW23 said:

Dont sleep on Rural Retreat they took PH to overtime in last years game before losing 48 to 42.  I think 1D will be a lot of good competitive games.  Hurley and Twin Springs could have a lot of power points at end of season due to easy schedules.

You can’t ever really count out anyone in the Hogo. But those 2 seem to be the front runners right now. Time will tell. 

21 hours ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

They'll have a shot against Giles, Floyd, and maybe Rockbridge County and maybe Hidden Valley. Floyd, from what I've been told, lost a bunch of senior starters last year and should be rebuilding.  Rockbridge isn't that good, and I wasn't overly impressed with Hidden Valley in seeing them against us on NFHS (didn't see it in person).  They looked slightly better than Blacksburg in my opinion, but not 2-3 touchdowns better.

I think Blacksburg is going to be in the game with us.  I think we will win it, but I will be surprised if it's by more than 10.  

They are a 4A school they should beat a 1A team with ease. However they are very bad and I don't see them beating Giles imo. I think a similiar result to last year score wise. Giles will score 20+ on them so it comes down to will Blacksburg be able to score with them imo.

1 hour ago, CPF said:

All I know is that when Tony got his program right Mance ran off to the beach. He could've stayed and competed but he was fighting a losing battle and he knew it. 

Or maybe…just maybe…he figured out that (1) he could draw full VRS while (2) teaching gut HS classes and coaching football while (3) living 20 minutes from the ocean and (4) being within 30 minutes of several world-renowned golf courses.

You show me a soul alive that wouldn’t make that trade in a heartbeat, and I’ll show you a liar.  

Mance wasn’t scared of Palmer.  If he were scared of challenges, he wouldn’t have gone to Loris, which was a doormat before him and now is competitive.  

14 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

Or maybe…just maybe…he figured out that (1) he could draw full VRS while (2) teaching gut HS classes and coaching football while (3) living 20 minutes from the ocean and (4) being within 30 minutes of several world-renowned golf courses.

You show me a soul alive that wouldn’t make that trade in a heartbeat, and I’ll show you a liar.  

Mance wasn’t scared of Palmer.  If he were scared of challenges, he wouldn’t have gone to Loris, which was a doormat before him and now is competitive.  

There's truth and there's Gospel. That post was both of em commingled like a perfect ham "samich" with cheese and mayo.

One small tiny addendum UVA. Greg lives 10 minutes from the ocean in the Longs area. Longs is basically "Way North" in the North Myrtle area close to Little River, Ocean Drive, Cherry Grove area. Heck of a place to live. That stretch is nice as all get out. To be exact, he would be about 13 minutes drive time to Loris and 9 minutes to Cherry Grove Oceanfront. Longs is another area in the Grand Strand that is just booming. Forget about building houses fast enough. They can't build neighborhoods fast enough. 

21 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

Someone brought logic and reason to the fight! 

5 minutes ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

There's truth and there's Gospel. That post was both of em commingled like a perfect ham "samich" with cheese and mayo.

One small tiny addendum UVA. Greg lives 10 minutes from the ocean in the Longs area. Longs is basically "Way North" in the North Myrtle area close to Little River, Ocean Drive, Cherry Grove area. Heck of a place to live. That stretch is nice as all get out. To be exact, he would be about 13 minutes drive time to Loris and 9 minutes to Cherry Grove Oceanfront. Longs is another area in the Grand Strand that is just booming. Forget about building houses fast enough. They can't build neighborhoods fast enough. 

I'll take any addendum that helps make my point stronger, LOL.  

As an aside, I vacation at the southern NC beaches, about 35 miles as the crow flies from Myrtle Beach.  The development that's going on, even with price tags of $500K+ for modest homes, is mesmerizing to me.  I wonder where this money's coming from.  I remember as a young child, being awestruck by a $900K price tag on a beachfront 3-story development.  That same home would run $3M+ today.

16 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

I'll take any addendum that helps make my point stronger, LOL.  

As an aside, I vacation at the southern NC beaches, about 35 miles as the crow flies from Myrtle Beach.  The development that's going on, even with price tags of $500K+ for modest homes, is mesmerizing to me.  I wonder where this money's coming from.  I remember as a young child, being awestruck by a $900K price tag on a beachfront 3-story development.  That same home would run $3M+ today.

I’m equally mesmerized by some of the real estate prices in Tazewell County at the moment. Real estate market in general is way overpriced according to a realtor friend of mine. If people can pay it though, the prices will continue to rise especially in places like Myrtle.

1 hour ago, Gridiron60 said:

I’m equally mesmerized by some of the real estate prices in Tazewell County at the moment. Real estate market in general is way overpriced according to a realtor friend of mine. If people can pay it though, the prices will continue to rise especially in places like Myrtle.

In the Grand Strand, the growth is so fast that one census projection has Horry County approaching half a million (500K) for the 2030 census if the growth continues. The prices here are from the Northeasterners from the cities (NYC, Boston, Philly, Jersey) that have moved because of the taxes up north. They are literally having bidding wars with Cash on homes. Its on the market for MINUTES, then the offers come in. I am relaying what at LEAST well over 100 individuals have told me directly. The monthly taxes in Jersey or NYC equal a monthly house payment in S. Carolina which is notoriously low in property tax.

Someone I know recently went through a life change that forced him to buy a new house. The first three homes he put offers on, sold for more than asking price, which was already jacked up. The fourth house, his initial bid was $15k over asking with a contingency that elevated his bid $1,000 up to an additional $30k based on the bids of others. He finally got the house.....for $42k over asking price!!!

1 hour ago, Gridiron60 said:

The real estate market in Tazewell County right now has blown me away. Homes are selling for asking prices at minimum. Whatever happened to the day of "making an offer"? At what point will this get upside down?

23 minutes ago, Mountain Football said:

The real estate market in Tazewell County right now has blown me away. Homes are selling for asking prices at minimum. Whatever happened to the day of "making an offer"? At what point will this get upside down?

Yeah, Real Estate in this area is selling like hot cakes.

4 hours ago, CPF said:

All I know is that when Tony got his program right Mance ran off to the beach. He could've stayed and competed but he was fighting a losing battle and he knew it. 

CPF it seems there has always been an undercurrent of bitterness when Coach Mance is mentioned, not against the Blues program as much, but against Coach Mance.  

I was on the bandwagon rooting for a return of Coach Carlock football when the Gmen were soundly thrashed by Gate City a few years ago 70-0.   Was happy to see the resurgence of Gmen football.  I won't hold grudges and as a Christian cannot, but your posts at times, makes it hard for my heart to be 100% committed to the Gmen success.  In saying that, I still want the program to do well (and they have).  It seems there's  been a two-tier rating system on here when it came to the success the Blues had,  and now the Gmen.   The Blues recruiting, free housing, when players transferred.  Now that  the scenario seems quite similar, with players transferring in to play for Graham, the portrayal is painted with a different brush.  

I'm very invested in Coach Mance and his success while at Richlands, and now at Loris.  As others have said he took a program that was in decline.  When  first arriving the players were in the weight room with crocs lifting weights.  His success has come with a strong work ethic and countless hours making his football programs a success.  He has always given credit to his assistants and had the knack to be able to see the abilities of his players and utilize their talents to the maximum.  

I want all the Tazewell County schools  not just be a showcase of talent, but a brotherhood of communities pulling for each other.   First and foremost always a Blues fan, second a Bulldog fan and I want the Gmen to do well.  

May the upcoming season be great with each team doing well, no career ending injuries, and sportsmanship for all teams.  

You know if snide comments weren't made then I'd had never made that comment. It's not like I start threads bashing Mance. It comes from jealousy from others. When they stop I will simple as that. I'd love for us to all get along but that's just not going to be possible. This started with a question about a kid who had a problem with a coach from Beaver and transferred to Graham. Then it turned into recruiting. I didn't do that. Others did. You can chastise them like you did me.