Scrimmages/ Benefit Games 8-18

generallyspeaking

Graham Recap- 

Offense- OL needs some work but thought they started to get better with some adjustments. Lining Hughes up as RB was brilliant move which allowed him to run or Roberts to throw shorter passes while Hughes protected the QB turned out to be very successful. Clements and Hughes had some fantastic runs. 

Defense- I thought overall the defense is coming out stronger then I’ve seen them start out in years. Couple of minor issues. I thought the Lilly kid did great with Jennings out. I thought Hughes did great as usual, Edwards and Hass were great when LB missed tackles up the middle.  There were times where JM got too many yards up the middle. Need to fix that and I know they will. Like someone said, Defense is stout. 

I have no doubt the coaches will continue to develop these guys, Go G-Men! 

1 hour ago, cityofRaven said:

Chmara wasn't the only Beaver coach to head up the Fauquier progroam.

AT Howard did as well, for only the 1963 season.

And Tom Ferrell who was an assistant for many years and coached the baseball team at Bluefield. Was also a member of the 1963 undefeated Welch Maroon Wave.

2 hours ago, TripleThreat said:

Marion is in year 2 of a new system that was taken over only a month before the start of last season. While your assessment of the skill players makes sense, they aren’t big enough up front to protect long enough to be successful in the spread in the SWD. Triple is a good offense for a team that’s undersized up front with some decent athletes. The QB doesn’t necessarily have to be a great athlete (although that helps) but needs to be a good leader and good decision maker. Running triple also shortens the game and keeps the score from getting out of hand, allowing a weaker team to stay in games longer. 

I agree, the system is still new, but it doesn’t seem like they’ve improved any from last year. Marion needs a youth football program (other then flag), so when these kids get to middle school and high school they know and understand this offense (and know proper tackling technique).These kids are getting to middle school with no real football experience and are thrown out there to play teams like Graham, and it’s sad. You said the triple option shortens the game (which I agree), but we struggle to get first downs so our offense is barely on the field. Coach Ginn has had plenty of coaching experience, so hopefully he can figure all of this out.

1 hour ago, FootballFan77 said:

Graham Recap- 

Offense- OL needs some work but thought they started to get better with some adjustments. Lining Hughes up as RB was brilliant move which allowed him to run or Roberts to throw shorter passes while Hughes protected the QB turned out to be very successful. Clements and Hughes had some fantastic runs. 

Defense- I thought overall the defense is coming out stronger then I’ve seen them start out in years. Couple of minor issues. I thought the Lilly kid did great with Jennings out. I thought Hughes did great as usual, Edwards and Hass were great when LB missed tackles up the middle.  There were times where JM got too many yards up the middle. Need to fix that and I know they will. Like someone said, Defense is stout. 

I have no doubt the coaches will continue to develop these guys, Go G-Men! 

I agree with all of this.  I also think the depth on Graham's line this year is outstanding.  They were rotating guys in and out quite a bit.  I was impressed with # 75, the freshman, Kennard.  He did a great job of getting pressure.  Didn't notice a drop off when other guys were rotated in and out on that line.  Graham's line has depth and quality depth, that is a big deal in 2A football.  That will play into Graham's favor in close games late in the ball game.   Offensively, they weren't protecting the QB very well on the passing plays at times.   That could be due to a pretty stout D - Line for James Monroe, however I think they need to work on that a bit.  The Walton kid plays with a lot of intensity on that D - Line also.  This team has a lot of potential, I'm sure the Graham staff will get the most out of it.

2 hours ago, SWVAgridiron said:

Well said. We won’t face a team as large as Cburg this season. We were well undersized but didn’t back down. After a rough season last year it was good to actually see excitement on the field, sidelines, and stands. 

That is good to hear. I have them finishing either 2nd or 3rd in district. I think they beat Galax for sure. GW and Grayson they have a shot. GW has some athletes but they are definitely not as good as last year. Grayson looks pretty darn good though. Time will tell.

1 hour ago, swva_fan said:

I think are multiple fan entrances, so was probably a shorter way.

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=678188607669369&set=a.335972141891019

Yea, we found that out after the fact. We asked a parking lot attendant where to go and I think he directed us to the farthest parking spot possible. Haha

It's all good though. We had a great time and all the GW folks were great.

3 hours ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Graham vs Peterstown

Watched it this morning.  Graham compared to Graham this time last year is not as good, but only slightly not as good.  Defensively, they are equally as good at this early point last year.  Offensively, not as good, but not far off.  Graham has had Cam Allen, then Lester, then Blevins, then Meadows.  Just a foolish run of HS QB's.  The new QB has an arm, but he offers less running threat than the previous 4.  His throwing motion is BETTER than all of the previous four/mechanics.  Can that translate to him being more accurate?  It's dangerous for opponents if it does.  No way to judge a kid who's a new starter for 2 quarters of play. He must improve decision making/throwing into double coverage with time and experience.  He has the potential to be very good.  

Peterstown-ha ha Jamey Monroe.  To give JM a positive (which I don't like doing), they are good up front.  They will play for the WV A state title again in my opinion.  They are slightly better at this point in the early season compared to last year.  I think JM plays for the WV State Title again, but loses again, but in the loss, the margin will be much closer than last year.

Only my opinions

I agree on the Roberts kid, he has great potential. His mechanics are solid, arm strength good, athletically sound, just have to make better decisions on field and O line give him time to throw. By his Senior year, he’ll be a force to be reckoned with if he continues to develop. I think coaches will get the very best they can out of all the players and utilizing them where they can be successful. 

1 hour ago, nrv_football said:

That is good to hear. I have them finishing either 2nd or 3rd in district. I think they beat Galax for sure. GW and Grayson they have a shot. GW has some athletes but they are definitely not as good as last year. Grayson looks pretty darn good though. Time will tell.

I was impressed with our defense...a lot more athletic than last year and that alone will help with some of the mistakes from last year.

Playing a bunch of sophs...good for the next couple years but will make youngster mistakes this year, but that's ok.

Definitely more physical than last year

Offense still needs work but it's still preseason

We won't see a team as big as CBurg...but we have to play well to win games especially with our tough schedule....playing bluefield good grief....thank our brilliant AD for that great decision....but we'll show up and see how it goes

7 hours ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Graham vs Peterstown

Watched it this morning.  Graham compared to Graham this time last year is not as good, but only slightly not as good.  Defensively, they are equally as good at this early point last year.  Offensively, not as good, but not far off.  Graham has had Cam Allen, then Lester, then Blevins, then Meadows.  Just a foolish run of HS QB's.  The new QB has an arm, but he offers less running threat than the previous 4.  His throwing motion is BETTER than all of the previous four/mechanics.  Can that translate to him being more accurate?  It's dangerous for opponents if it does.  No way to judge a kid who's a new starter for 2 quarters of play. He must improve decision making/throwing into double coverage with time and experience.  He has the potential to be very good.  

Peterstown-ha ha Jamey Monroe.  To give JM a positive (which I don't like doing), they are good up front.  They will play for the WV A state title again in my opinion.  They are slightly better at this point in the early season compared to last year.  I think JM plays for the WV State Title again, but loses again, but in the loss, the margin will be much closer than last year.

Only my opinions

Think James Monroe is 2A this year.

22 hours ago, 1inStripes said:

I think @chipinbogey HL is a rookie. Good learning opportunity and need more fresh blood. 

Did @chipinbogey get a different crew this year?  I saw that crew twice last year and I thought they did a great job. However, new blood is always a good thing. I'm sure they can always use more officials. 

Radford vs Pulaski. It was even. Pulaski led at the half 10-7.  Radford had more total yds. I don't do final Scores for foundation games because both teams seem to also shuffle non starters in the 3rd quarter.  For example, in my mind, CBurg beat Giles 7-0 for 1 half of play. Graham beat JM 28-0, and it ends there, just my opinion though.

Pulaski imo is going to be a little better this year. Radford is not going to be as good as last year, but their regular season record will not show it. They will go 8-2 to 9-1 and have a regular season record similar to last year. 

Riverheads obliterated Fauquier. Forget about any score, it was the type of game that would have been a running clock in the 3rd qtr, if it were regular season conditions.

Fauquier went 0-10 last year and 3 of the 10 losses were within 7 points or less. The other 7 losses were by margins no closer than 25 points and most of those 7 losses, by far more than 25 pts. Since Oct 14 of 2016, Fauquier has won 10 football games total (that's approximate, I did a fast fourseasons football search). 

9 minutes ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Riverheads obliterated Fauquier. Forget about any score, it was the type of game that would have been a running clock in the 3rd qtr, if it were regular season conditions.

Fauquier went 0-10 last year and 3 of the 10 losses were within 7 points or less. The other 7 losses were by margins no closer than 25 points and most of those 7 losses, by far more than 25 pts. Since Oct 14 of 2016, Fauquier has won 10 football games total (that's approximate, I did a fast fourseasons football search). 

So what you’re saying is this game wasn’t really a good measuring stick? But now next week, that should be a good one between Riverheads & Central Woodstock. 

In Region B.  Turner Ashby scrimmaged Riverheads a week ago and lost 21-6 in the first half.  Turner Ashby scrimmaged Central this weekend and it was no score for either team in the first half.  Will Central play with Riverheads?  Hard to make much of preseason matchups.  We'll see come Friday night.  I thinking what my cuz from Radford is saying.  Stuarts Draft, if any team in B can top Riverheads, will be the team, not Central.  We'll see though. 

Keep your eyes on the scores in the Valley this weekend with 2 big matchups.  King William comes to Draft and Central of Woodstock goes to Riverheads.  Right off the bat, we will get an idea or a least a glimpse of Class 2 in Virginia outside of SWVA. 

King William Scrimmages.  King William from what I was told got the best of Tabb this weekend down in York County, but not by much.  King William got beat up pretty good by Poquoson in their scrimmage the week before.  Of interest, last year, KW was a big favorite to come out of Region A by most fans, but Poquoson played them even up in their scrimmage last year 2022 and went on to beat them in the region title game.  This year, from what I'm told by my ugly cousin from Radford, VA, Poquoson got the better of KW by a decent bit in the scrimmage a week ago.