Union/Graham

Gridiron60

I really see this as the game of the regular season in region D! Graham hasn’t quite started clicking on all cylinders. They’ve got a lot of sloppiness to fix in my opinion. I think Clements playing Friday is probably still a big question mark. He still seems hurt to me just watching him walk. Losing Hughes is major. Union seems to be getting better each week and held their own with SH until 4thQ. Both teams have some talented skill players. We’ll see how line play matches up. This may come down to big plays & who has fewest mistakes. Both teams can be penalty ridden at times. Union could end Graham’s 33 game regular season streak. It promises to be a barn burner and a test for each team. 

I’m going to say whoever loses has a high probability of winning Region D, lol! All of this could be 100% off! 

I feel like the biggest advantage Union has in this game is losing to Science Hill last night. Science hill has more team speed than Graham, and that is NO slight to Graham as they probably have the most team speed in 2A. But man,  SH was different. Reminds me of those vintage Appomattox teams. 

When Union gets to Bluefield they will not be shocked by the lineplay, physicality and speed due to last nights experience. 

if clements doesn’t play, I favor Union by a TD. If he does, and is 100%, I think it is a true toss up that will be decided by 2-3 plays. 

Toss up game imo and I think Graham or Union are the 2 best Class 2 teams in VA, both slightly ahead of Appo and Radford right now, with Radford and Appo both having the ability to beat Graham and Union, but I think both schools (Graham and Union) are 7-9 pts better than Appo/Radford, and after Appo/Radford, there's a major falloff across the state of VA in Class 2 

Unionn has had 5 teams since 2011ish  that have been just as talented across the board (all 22 starters), but what makes this team different imo? The QB. Completely changes their offensive ability/presence.

I'm hoping that the Bears are healthy and healed up come Friday.

Had a couple in street clothes for the SH game and a couple more banged up after.

Looking for another exciting game. Injuries on both sides will be key.

Both teams appear to be very evenly matched, overall. Not as much of a contrast in styles as years past.

If Union controls the speed of the GMen as well as they did SH, and play as tough on the line, Bears win.

Do it not, and it will be a long ride home to BSG.

As of now, weather looks perfect. Hope it stays that way.

2 minutes ago, Union_Fan said:

I'm hoping that the Bears are healthy and healed up come Friday.

Had a couple in street clothes for the SH game and a couple more banged up after.

Looking for another exciting game. Injuries on both sides will be key.

Both teams appear to be very evenly matched, overall. Not as much of a contrast in styles as years past.

If Union controls the speed of the GMen as well as they did SH, and play as tough on the line, Bears win.

Do it not, and it will be a long ride home to BSG.

As of now, weather looks perfect. Hope it stays that way.

I got a feeling Union wins in a close one. Obviously, I hope I’m wrong and it’s a long ride back to BSG , lol! 

27 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

I’m saying 21-20 , toss up! 🤞I’m hearing Clements is going to be out again. Not sure if that’s true. 

If its 21-20 y’all win cause we can’t kick to save our lives 

For those of you that are interested in this kind of thing. Graham has won 33 regular season games in a row.

The last time they lost?

2019. September. Week 4. Mitchell Stadium. Against Union

This Friday

2023. September. Week 4. Mitchell Stadium. Against Union

That being said. To be the man you gotta beat the man.

Graham wins 17-13

25 minutes ago, -oo- said:

For those of you that are interested in this kind of thing. Graham has won 33 regular season games in a row.

The last time they lost?

2019. September. Week 4. Mitchell Stadium. Against Union

This Friday

2023. September. Week 4. Mitchell Stadium. Against Union

That being said. To be the man you gotta beat the man.

Graham wins 17-13

Really incredible streak there, let’s be honest.

Union came close to getting them the next regular season game at Mitchell. Lost by a point in the fall of 21. A fumble inside the 10 with 5ish minutes to go in the game really cost Union a chance that night. 

Here’s to hoping we finish the job this time!

56 minutes ago, UnionGuy2017 said:

Really incredible streak there, let’s be honest.

Union came close to getting them the next regular season game at Mitchell. Lost by a point in the fall of 21. A fumble inside the 10 with 5ish minutes to go in the game really cost Union a chance that night. 

Here’s to hoping we finish the job this time!

Very close....

54 minutes ago, Duke2015 said:

Won’t matter I just drove by the school bus driver was already filling the gas tanks.  Heard he’s even practicing hot wiring the bus in case he loses the keys.

Remind him not to bring a drone or his Segway and he needs to bring his snack in a clear bag. 😂

Very good chance that the winner of this game will be the host of game 2 (IF....IF  these 2 teams meet in the Region D Title Game).  If the Bears win, strong chance Graham would have to travel to the Park come playoff time.  If Graham wins, it's almost a guarantee approaching nearly 100% that they would host the Region D Title game, if they win the first 2 in the playoffs.  Lots of season left and lots of ifs.  Ridgeview is the one variable that could ruin the party for Unon.  If you're Union, the goal is to not play Ridgeview two times, so getting that 1 seed in the playoffs could be huge.  Lots on the line in Bluefield next weekend.  Should be one heck of a football game between two juggernauts. 

Appomattox.  Again, lots of ifs.  If Appo wins their region, the Union Graham game this weekend again looms larrge.  If the Bears and GMen meet in the Region Title Game, you want to host and not travel to Appo who will likely finish 8-2.  They are 0-2 now, but will likely win their last 8, and an 8-2 Appo likely will outpoint an 8-2 Union or possibly even a 9-1 Graham.  In Region C, of course, Radford and Glenvar are trying to ruin the party for Appo.  

The point I'm making is this.  The kids playing in this game care about one thing.  Winning the game this upcoming weekend.  But for fans, this game actually has huge significiance regarding power points/hosting inside Region D, and for whoever wins Region D regarding whether they are hosting in the semi's or traveling.