Union/Graham

Gridiron60

At this point, I'm not sure anyone truly knows what their team has this season. Game outcomes have been all over the place. Some teams falling short and others overachieving. I'm sure both Union and Graham fans see their team's positives and potential while still worrying about shortcomings.

I do believe that after this Friday night we'll be a lot more confident in our respective team's place in the pecking order.

On 9/12/2023 at 6:03 AM, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Watching both on NFHS.  I don't think Graham runs it on Union very well, even with Clements who is deadly.  I also don't think Union will pass it very well on Graham with Graham's secondary.  The game will be decided (purely an opinion here) with who does 1 of these 2 things the best.

1.  Union- QB runs, scrambles when nobody is open and on designed QB runs.  If he does this really well through the game and makes Graham's front 7 miss, Union will win.

2. Graham- Union's improved secondary, but still not so great secondary as it relates to covering speedy receivers is still present.  If the Roberts kid is now developed/improved enough through the first 3 games where he lights up Union in the air with 3 and 4 receivers on pass routes and throws it consistently well, Graham will win.  

One QB's running success or lack of success (Union) and the other QB's throwing success or lack of success (Graham) will decide the game.  Whichever one does it better wins.  Just my opinion.

Union should sell out to stop the run and I think they will do that.  Graham won't Ridgeview the Union defense.  Union's defensive secondary has some speed, I'll say as much as Graham's WRs but they love them some zone and the safeties get fat off lazy passes between the hashes.

One of the biggest travesties last year was RV not punishing the Union odd defensive assignments last year.  Union decided to double #7 the whole game and sometimes even shade a third and RV rightfully ran against that and was successful especially with the QB.  But several times Union whipped out this alignment and RV never once took the easy TD.  I bet if they do this to Graham, the G-men will take it.  The photo below is why you leave your OC in the press box, use hand-signals and allow your QB to audible at the line.  This particular play was an incomplete 10 yard pass to the left wing in the middle of the field that the MLB should have picked. 

This is why positional coaching matters folks.  You have a CB giving up inside leverage and trying to "funnel" the WR inside where there is ZERO Safety help.  This should be a 28 yard TD 9/10 times. 

Open route.jpg

2 hours ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

There is way to much respect and decency going on in this thread between Union and G-Men fans.  

With the above written, will Graham cheat Union in this game?  Will Union cheat and bring a train horn and fire it right at the snap of the ball when the G-Men are under center.  Will Union do lots of late hits?  Will Graham play dirty and do late hits?  Who's eating at McDonalds after the game?  What about that sorry Graham home crowd or those Union traveling "rednecks"?

Nothing but respect. Truthfully we're both scared to death this week. 

43 minutes ago, CPF said:

Nothing but respect. Truthfully we're both scared to death this week. 

I would love to see this game.  If the two meet again in the Region Title Game, I hope to miss it again as I'm hopeful Giles will be playing that week still, but if not and Union-Graham play again in game 13, I'm there.

3 hours ago, SwvaOG said:

Union should sell out to stop the run and I think they will do that.  Graham won't Ridgeview the Union defense.  Union's defensive secondary has some speed, I'll say as much as Graham's WRs but they love them some zone and the safeties get fat off lazy passes between the hashes.

One of the biggest travesties last year was RV not punishing the Union odd defensive assignments last year.  Union decided to double #7 the whole game and sometimes even shade a third and RV rightfully ran against that and was successful especially with the QB.  But several times Union whipped out this alignment and RV never once took the easy TD.  I bet if they do this to Graham, the G-men will take it.  The photo below is why you leave your OC in the press box, use hand-signals and allow your QB to audible at the line.  This particular play was an incomplete 10 yard pass to the left wing in the middle of the field that the MLB should have picked. 

This is why positional coaching matters folks.  You have a CB giving up inside leverage and trying to "funnel" the WR inside where there is ZERO Safety help.  This should be a 28 yard TD 9/10 times. 

Open route.jpg

Excellent explanation and use of graphics. You should be an OC, or at least an analyst. (No sarcasm intended. I enjoy seeing the detailed breakdown.)

21 minutes ago, tornado99 said:

Excellent explanation and use of graphics. You should be an OC, or at least an analyst. (No sarcasm intended. I enjoy seeing the detailed breakdown.)

Some people are sharp about football.  Some people are sharper than most others about football.  SwvaOG falls in the later category. 

4 hours ago, SwvaOG said:

Open route.jpg

Ever thought about being a coach for VT?

16 minutes ago, Graham32 said:

So heard rumors Clements for Graham has practiced all week and will be a game time decision. 

Turner and Palmer discussed this. It was decided to rest him another week in exchange for an official Union backpack complete with "stuff" and 4 extra baggage, er...I mean 4 awesome assistant Union coaches to be named later. Lol

20 minutes ago, VHSLhelper said:

CalPreps : Graham 22-12, Honaker 31-28
Massey : Graham 40-14, Holston 35-28

Massey is really pushing it this week. Both of his would shock me if they held up, and probably the Graham and Holston fans would look at his picks and think, "thanks for the nod, but WTHeck?"

1 hour ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Massey is really pushing it this week. Both of his would shock me if they held up, and probably the Graham and Holston fans would look at his picks and think, "thanks for the nod, but WTHeck?"

If anything Graham should be the underdog going into this game after the last 3 weeks imo. 

9 hours ago, BigWinners said:

Graham-35

Union-14

Are you using reverse psychology? There’s no way the spread is that big with Graham winning? Either one could win but I don’t see it being that kind of score unless one team simply implodes (which could happen). 

9 hours ago, BigWinners said:

Graham-35

Union-14

If this years Graham team beats Union by that much they might as well just give them the state championship trophy. Union is a really good football team. They have the potential to make a deep run this year. 

12 minutes ago, Graham32 said:

If this years Graham team beats Union by that much they might as well just give them the state championship trophy. Union is a really good football team. They have the potential to make a deep run this year. 

Said this earlier.  The best two Class 2 teams in Virginia are playing this weekend (in my opinion only). Radford and Appo are close to Union and Graham, but Union and Graham are better imo.  After Union, Appo, Graham, Radford, bigtime drop off in the East.  I've now seen Poquoson, Riverheads, Central-Woodstock, Clarke County, Draft, King William, none of them are beating the four I mentioned in the West (in my opinion).  Outlier is Glenvar of course, which still probably finds a way to beat Radford come playoff time if the two meet.  Ridgeview is also equally as good or better than all of those in the East I mentioned.  

30 minutes ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Said this earlier.  The best two Class 2 teams in Virginia are playing this weekend (in my opinion only). Radford and Appo are close to Union and Graham, but Union and Graham are better imo.  After Union, Appo, Graham, Radford, bigtime drop off in the East.  I've now seen Poquoson, Riverheads, Central-Woodstock, Clarke County, Draft, King William, none of them are beating the four I mentioned in the West (in my opinion).  Outlier is Glenvar of course, which still probably finds a way to beat Radford come playoff time if the two meet.  Ridgeview is also equally as good or better than all of those in the East I mentioned.  

Call me crazy but I'm considering drinking the Radford Kool-Aid this year.   I'm hesitant because I actually felt they were better last year and they disappointed.  I won't go so far as to say Union and Graham are the top two but I'll say they are top-four with tomorrow's winner moving into the Top 2. Union is the only team that can match Graham's coaching advantage and nullify it (despite what the Union fans think, lol.) Union just hasn't had the athletes to compete with Graham the last couple of years.....this year I think they do. 

As for RV, I had them slightly favored over Union until the injury bug bit them.  They lost (5) collective starting positions to those injuries and I felt that Hackney was going to be the best RB in the M7 and an equalizer against Union.  That is a big loss.  Couple that with the loss of their best deep ball threat and you have an excellent QB and a  slot WR left for that offense.  As soon as defenses figure out they can shade the slot with OLB, get physical and re-route him, the passing game will suffer some.  If they spy the QB with a LB, that will help contain that portion of the offense.  I'm still not sold on RV's OL being physical enough to top Union or Graham.  I want to like RV's defense but haven't seen them play an offense with a pulse yet. 

12 hours ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

I like Holston beating Honaker more that I like Graham throwing up a 41-14 win on the Bears.  I might watch that Honaker/Holston game.  Two excellent signal callers, each in their own way.  I feel like Honaker might have one athlete too many for Holston, although the Cavs are fundamentally sound. 

4 minutes ago, SwvaOG said:

Call me crazy but I'm considering drinking the Radford Kool-Aid this year.   I'm hesitant because I actually felt they were better last year and they disappointed.  I won't go so far as to say Union and Graham are the top two but I'll say they are top-four with tomorrow's winner moving into the Top 2. Union is the only team that can match Graham's coaching advantage and nullify it (despite what the Union fans think, lol.) Union just hasn't had the athletes to compete with Graham the last couple of years.....this year I think they do. 

Union will be step for step with Graham this year. I honestly think they come out with a win on Friday. Graham fans call me a doomer or whatever you will Union contained Science Hill very well & Science Hills QB is way more mobile than Graham's Roberts. If the G-Men can have success in the air they have shot. If not Union by 14+ 

9 minutes ago, Graham32 said:

Union will be step for step with Graham this year. I honestly think they come out with a win on Friday. Graham fans call me a doomer or whatever you will Union contained Science Hill very well & Science Hills QB is way more mobile than Graham's Roberts. If the G-Men can have success in the air they have shot. If not Union by 14+ 

I like Union in this one but it could go either way.  Union should be able to do what RV couldn't the last two years....establish a valid running game.  If they do that, the QB has a couple good targets at WR and he is very capable as a runner.  I could see his legs being the difference. 

3 minutes ago, SwvaOG said:

I like Union in this one but it could go either way.  Union should be able to do what RV couldn't the last two years....establish a valid running game.  If they do that, the QB has a couple good targets at WR and he is very capable as a runner.  I could see his legs being the difference. 

Anderson gives Union another weapon on offense. He has a good arm and is quick. Since playing Bluefield the G-Men haven't seen that type of speed.