Blacksburg already forfeits to Salem for next week

60minuteMan

2 hours ago, Hokiebird7 said:

Think their trophy case says otherwise

1996 whined and cried to VHSL to get semi playoff game at Grundy moved. Game was moved to Tazewell, worst field conditions than at Grundy. Don’t care how many trophies they have, they’re still a bunch of whiny losers.

1 hour ago, Cousin_Hoyt said:

1996 whined and cried to VHSL to get semi playoff game at Grundy moved. Game was moved to Tazewell, worst field conditions than at Grundy. Don’t care how many trophies they have, they’re still a bunch of whiny losers.

Sounds like what you're doing

Wasn't the game moved because there were no visitors stands?

On 10/29/2023 at 9:31 AM, VT W1N said:

Pretty sure they are down to only a handful of healthy kids to play. The number I've heard is 12.

If that's the case, then 100% you don't need to play that game. That's a great way to get someones kid hurt when they literally can't come off the field against a team like Salem. 

I think if you have 12, you play. You also communicate. You call Salem. "Hey coach we only have 12 healthy, can you help us out? We don't want to cancel, but I do ask you to run the ball quite a bit and let's play one half and the first 2 minutes of the 2nd half and keep this conversation between me and you. This way, your kids get their senior night and we show up and dont just cancel, and your kids get at least some first half reps preparing for the playoffs."

I just dont think the above is that difficult to do. It's not hard. Salem coach wants a game and all the stuff for the seniors and parents, and I think 90 percent of coaches would say, "I understand, sounds reasonable." 

My take away point. OTHER people are involved when games are canceled. Other people are effected than simply the team that cancels the game and this is the part that often gets lost in these discussions. We always have the focus on "how does this harm or effect the team that cancels," but not enough emphasis on the team that is getting canceled on. We chalk it up to..."well they are tough (Salem) can handle it." Well, why not let Blacksburg also handle it and be tough.

Just my opinions. If you have 12...You Play. When you get down to 10, you don't play. 

1 minute ago, Bluebird said:

Should a school be fined for forfeiting a game?

I don't think so, but here's the flip side. Should a team be rewarded if a team cancels on them in the form of 1 additional bonus pointnin power ranking? I think a team that cancels should face the penalty of.......  all other district teams, if they chose, does not have to schedule you for the next 2 seasons if they do not want to and they aren't penalized for doing so.

Speaking of cancels.....John Marshall, yes, that John Marshall, just canceled on Riverheads for game 10 due to lack of players. Evidently, they only had 3 point guards, 2 shooting guards, 3 power forwards, and 2 centers available to suit up.

3 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

If that's the case, then 100% you don't need to play that game. That's a great way to get someones kid hurt when they literally can't come off the field against a team like Salem. 

Got a play at half. At least show up. 2nd time in 3 yrs Blacksburg against Salem ain't right

39 minutes ago, Bluebird said:

Should a school be fined for forfeiting a game?

35 minutes ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

I don't think so, but here's the flip side. Should a team be rewarded if a team cancels on them in the form of 1 additional bonus pointnin power ranking? I think a team that cancels should face the penalty of.......  all other district teams, if they chose, does not have to schedule you for the next 2 seasons if they do not want to and they aren't penalized for doing so.

Unaka, TN was punished for forfeiting a playoff game in 2016.

In a way, schools that have an opponent forfeit are rewarded in that their PP total is divided by 9 instead of 10 and, if it comes to it,  in tie breaker situations they can win due to having a 9 game schedule vs 10.

So, there's that.

1 hour ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Speaking of cancels.....John Marshall, yes, that John Marshall, just canceled on Riverheads for game 10 due to lack of players. Evidently, they only had 3 point guards, 2 shooting guards, 3 power forwards, and 2 centers available to suit up.

Aw they can fix that. all they have to do is a quick recruit:)

10 minutes ago, Bluebird said:

What if it's a non district game?

Same thing. I think any game canceled, district or not district should result in your district teams having the option to Not having to schedule you for 2 years without penalty.  Just my take on it though. Exception to that rule...a once in 100 year virus outbreak that infects half the team that we recently witnessed.

Here what I don't believe. I don't believe Blacksburg only has 12 healthy. I think it's a lie. I think they have more than that available. It's as simple as that. I actually do Not take their coaches or ADs word for it that they only have 12 healthy. 

5 minutes ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Same thing. I think any game canceled, district or not district should result in your district teams having the option to Not having to schedule you for 2 years without penalty.  Just my take on it though. Exception to that rule...a once in 100 year virus outbreak that infects half the team that we recently witnessed.

Here what I don't believe. I don't believe Blacksburg only has 12 healthy. I think it's a lie. I think they have more than that available. It's as simple as that. I actually do Not take their coaches or ADs word for it that they only have 12 healthy. 

Watch the end of the game against PH last week. I counted 21 players dressed out, and none seemed to present an injury. Yea I’m sure there were a handful of freshmen and sophomores but they definitely had more than 12 total kids dressed when they shook hands at the end 

22 hours ago, Hokiebird7 said:

Sounds like what you're doing

I bet you would be 100% for it if Giles was going to host a state semi-game and to move the game because the other team wanted to change sites because they didn’t want to travel to Giles to play. You wouldn’t say a thing against it  would you Hokiefart.

26 minutes ago, Cousin_Hoyt said:

I bet you would be 100% for it if Giles was going to host a state semi-game and to move the game because the other team wanted to change sites because they didn’t want to travel to Giles to play. You wouldn’t say a thing against it  would you Hokiefart.

Cousin_Hoyt, you haven't mentioned Grundy not having visiting bleachers in 1996. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think 96 was long before Grundy got visiting bleachers. I think most teams in the USA would request to play a road semifinal game on a field where there is at least a visiting side to set down. From 1996 to 2023, 27 years later, over 1/4th of a century later, we are about to see the same thing. Radford is going to be forced to move their game from their home field in the semi's if they make it that far, and Radford isnt in far SWVA, its the opposite. A team from SWVA (Union/Graham) is going to have the right to say, "what the hell, we ain't playing at a stadium where there is nowhere to set down" and the VHSL will side with Union/Graham. Heck, Radford knows this already and is already making plans for another stadium..

Here's where the VHSL was wrong. They should have had that game at Richlands, but back in 96, every Richlands fan from every holler and crevice would have been foaming at the mouth to get a piece of Salem. Can you imagine Salem fans eating in the town of Richlands in 1996 after the events of 1992 where both sides felt they got screwed? That could have ended ugly. 

You need to get facts straight before you get on here spewing garbage...go back under your rock hoyt

"The Virginia High School League deemed Grundy’s home field unsuitable to host a state semifinal game due to muddy field conditions and concerns about the proper amount of seating. " BHC

VHSL: Please see example below for the proper amount of visitor seating for a state-semi final.

Galax High School Football Field & Stadium