Blacksburg already forfeits to Salem for next week

60minuteMan

"The Virginia High School League deemed Grundy’s home field unsuitable to host a state semifinal game due to muddy field conditions and concerns about the proper amount of seating. " BHC  

VHSL: Please see example below of suitable field conditions for a state-semi final.

Mud bowl

8 hours ago, Liam McPoyle said:

"The Virginia High School League deemed Grundy’s home field unsuitable to host a state semifinal game due to muddy field conditions and concerns about the proper amount of seating. " BHC

VHSL: Please see example below for the proper amount of visitor seating for a state-semi final.

Galax High School Football Field & Stadium

Hey, but Galax has that sexy plastic grass!!!

8 hours ago, Liam McPoyle said:

VHSL: Please see example below for the proper amount of visitor seating for a state-semi final.

Galax High School Football Field & Stadium

Galax's visiting side was a father and son backyard project. This project was completed after the tree house and root cellar.

A few contextual things here that may be absent.

The picture above is from a Division 2 game in 1993. The seating specifications for D2 and D4, the division Grundy and Salem we're in, we're a little more, plus Grundy only had seating on one side.

Also, the matchup between Grundy/Salem came a few years after the infamous game in Richlands so I'm sure Salem were going to make a fuss about anything down this way given the chance.

1 hour ago, cityofRaven said:

A few contextual things here that may be absent.

The picture above is from a Division 2 game in 1993. The seating specifications for D2 and D4, the division Grundy and Salem we're in, we're a little more, plus Grundy only had seating on one side.

Also, the matchup between Grundy/Salem came a few years after the infamous game in Richlands so I'm sure Salem were going to make a fuss about anything down this way given the chance.

IIRC, Richlands was proposed but, I think the bleachers at Ernie Hicks on the visitor's side were not considered up to par either. I don't think you could have found a field that wasn't muddy that week. I still wonder what truly went down on the landlines between Grundy, Salem, and Charlottesville in the week leading up to that and I am positive it would be great fodder for these conversations. 

Ironically enough, since the bleachers were installed on the visitor's side at Grundy, they have not hosted a state semifinal game while appearing in two on the road.

15 hours ago, Liam McPoyle said:

VHSL: Please see example below of suitable field conditions for a state-semi final.

Mud bowl

An important note here is Haysi was a balanced offense,  the conditions probably benefited Giles more but Coach Colley wasn't about to move the game.

1 hour ago, Hokiebird7 said:

Giles was damn good that year too....defense was incredible 

That was probably Haysi’s best team of the Colley run.  They were really good in the early 90’s, but Giles got in the way a couple of times.

17 hours ago, Liam McPoyle said:

Mud bowl

I'm in that photo.

Roanoke Times picked up the story about Blacksburg forfeiting their Salem game. Since it's a subscription article, I'll just copy the paragraph that gives the official reason. Here it is below:

In an email sent to community members, Blacksburg Principal Chris Stewart cited a high number of injuries that have left a limited number of remaining active players, and that the forfeiture comes out of caution for those athletes.

21 minutes ago, VT W1N said:

Roanoke Times picked up the story about Blacksburg forfeiting their Salem game. Since it's a subscription article, I'll just copy the paragraph that gives the official reason. Here it is below:

In an email sent to community members, Blacksburg Principal Chris Stewart cited a high number of injuries that have left a limited number of remaining active players, and that the forfeiture comes out of caution for those athletes.

Completely acceptable if this is indeed the case. Kid's health should always come first.

I prefer 6 playoff teams and less forfeits with some sort of system that equally focuses on the team that was forfeited on/rewards them. I don't think my logic is off here and don't think it's unreasonable to do both at the same.

As for Ryan's statement about the health of the kids first. Very valid, but what's NOT valid is the assumption that fans not in favor of a forfeit are automatically "against or not first for" the health and safety of kids, and yes Ryan didnt explicitly say that, but he implicitly inferred it. Where is the line skewed with all of this?

There is a Difference is being a bad team and about to get beat by a whole lot of points compared to Unsafe for the lesser team. Those 2 aren't the same. I live closer to Blacksburg High than I do Giles High. I know a ton of people in BBurg from school staff to a couple assistants to a couple of parents. I know for a fact, an absolute fact, thst BBurg has 20 to 23 healthy players and they absolutely do not have only 12 as claimed. It's a DAMN lie, period. They forfeited not because of it being "unsafe." They forfeited because they were going to lose by a ton of points and it's very easy to forfeit under the "heartstrings" of "player safety," when it is often not a player safety issue. 

The above are my opinions with one exception, the Blacksburg healthy players thing is a fact, not opinion. They have well over 20 players healthy and the Coach, AD, and Principal of Blacksburg knows dang well that is true.

3 hours ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

I prefer 6 playoff teams and less forfeits with some sort of system that equally focuses on the team that was forfeited on/rewards them. I don't think my logic is off here and don't think it's unreasonable to do both at the same.

As for Ryan's statement about the health of the kids first. Very valid, but what's NOT valid is the assumption that fans not in favor of a forfeit are automatically "against or not first for" the health and safety of kids, and yes Ryan didnt explicitly say that, but he implicitly inferred it. Where is the line skewed with all of this?

There is a Difference is being a bad team and about to get beat by a whole lot of points compared to Unsafe for the lesser team. Those 2 aren't the same. I live closer to Blacksburg High than I do Giles High. I know a ton of people in BBurg from school staff to a couple assistants to a couple of parents. I know for a fact, an absolute fact, thst BBurg has 20 to 23 healthy players and they absolutely do not have only 12 as claimed. It's a DAMN lie, period. They forfeited not because of it being "unsafe." They forfeited because they were going to lose by a ton of points and it's very easy to forfeit under the "heartstrings" of "player safety," when it is often not a player safety issue. 

The above are my opinions with one exception, the Blacksburg healthy players thing is a fact, not opinion. They have well over 20 players healthy and the Coach, AD, and Principal of Blacksburg knows dang well that is true.

Exactly right....I knew this from the start....that's what I called them cowards...has nothing to do with not enough healthy players....just a BS excuse because they are chicken shits

They gave up 77 points to LB in a half earlier this season. It doesn’t get much worse than that so they might as well take another one on the chin. Like I stated earlier, they had 20 healthy looking kids dressed out last week at the end of the PH game. Blacksburg and Auburn’s head coaches must be brothers.