Hurley and TV combining football teams next season??

SWVAgridiron

Buchanon County has had an opportunity to consolidate and build a new school for sometime but hasn’t dotted all the Is and crossed all the Ts it seems.  ‘Mainly from people in the county who want to stop it it seems but obviously it is needed for the county as enrollment continues to dwindle. 

13 minutes ago, SWVAgridiron said:

I heard these two may combine football teams next season and that consolidating schools was coming in the near future. Any truth to this? 

It’s not unheard of, Rocky Gap High School & Bland High School made up Bland County Bears football team long before there was ever a consolidated Bland County High School. It would be a smart move honestly for Buchanan County. 

Just now, CPF said:

A vote to consolidate passed to build one county high school but I'm not sure what happened beyond that.

Edit: 2 schools council would not be part of the consolidation. 

Funny thing ... a former head coach of Hurley and Whitewood is Grundy's principal right now. I suspect it was to help oversee the merge, but who knows when it might happen.

We've been talking about this for 20 years now. I think we have a good chance of a '27 opening.

13 hours ago, 1inStripes said:

Buchanon County has had an opportunity to consolidate and build a new school for sometime but hasn’t dotted all the Is and crossed all the Ts it seems.  ‘Mainly from people in the county who want to stop it it seems but obviously it is needed for the county as enrollment continues to dwindle. 

There are other in SWVA schools that need to consolidate. Some schools are getting so small the kids are taking off the wall classes so the school has somewhere to put the kids. Consolidation would allow kids the opportunity to take better classes preparing them for the future. I get that people don't want to lose their school but what is best for the kids is what needs to be done. kids are kids and they would be fine with consolidation.

12 minutes ago, 1inStripes said:

Considering what Grundy once held in school enrollment Im not sure they they couldnt just move all of them to Grundy until the new facility is built.

-Well other than people being hardheaded.

It would make entirely too much sense to do that. The consolidation talk has been going on there for as long as I can remember, and they still insist on operating 3 older school buildings in need of replacement. 

1 hour ago, chipinbogey said:

It would make entirely too much sense to do that. The consolidation talk has been going on there for as long as I can remember, and they still insist on operating 3 older school buildings in need of replacement. 

Including one that took how much money for fire repair???

9 hours ago, sixcat said:

We have seen the "Buchanan County Marching Band" at several band competitions this fall. If the county can consolidate for marching band, they can consolidate for football.

That's two schools.... and a total of 13 kids.

Big difference.

12 minutes ago, VHSLhelper said:

That's two schools.... and a total of 13 kids.

Big difference.

So, a community can come together to coordinate a marching season with kids spread across the county but those same people coordinating a football season is a bridge too far?

Begs the question, why not? Seems a bit defeatist to just dismiss something the whole community would arguably benefit from.