New Head Coach at Richlands

Blue Tornado

I'm sure it's been said more than once, but it's coincidental that Richlands has fallen on hard times while most everyone around them has found success consistently and as of late.  Graham, Taz, Honaker, and Grundy have been solid the past couple of years during the slide in claypool hill.  Hard times won't last forever but the foundation is there to rebuild in a decent time frame for whomever gets the chance to sit in the captain's chair.  I still think a couple of m7 coaches looking to move up/around will be in the mix.  

14 minutes ago, S10SQUAREBODY4LIFE said:

I'm sure it's been said more than once, but it's coincidental that Richlands has fallen on hard times while most everyone around them has found success consistently and as of late.  Graham, Taz, Honaker, and Grundy have been solid the past couple of years during the slide in claypool hill.  Hard times won't last forever but the foundation is there to rebuild in a decent time frame for whomever gets the chance to sit in the captain's chair.  I still think a couple of m7 coaches looking to move up/around will be in the mix.  

Would love to see someone outside the SWD get the chance, but in all reality, Tazewell County School Board has some members who have sons coming up in the program and will more than likely be influenced by this factor in their decision making. As I understand it, The Supervisor of Secondary Education wants his son to be QB, wheather or not he has talent, and I don't know that he doesn't, but this will be a picking point this supervisor will discuss with whoever applies.  So it comes back to the good old boys club and the politics of the county. Just saying, my crusty old opinion, take it for what it is.  It's not about school pride, school spirit or fan base, it's all about ME & MINE!!

I just don't know what Vaught has been up to.  Don't even know what state he lives in.  I know he left Richlands and went somewhere in the Wise or Lee County area (I think) after Richlands was teaching or maybe a guidance counselor, etc, and he got accused of pushing a kid or getting physical with a kid.  Again, this is VAGUE stuff and happened in the 90's.  It's been 25 years and I think this is the jest of what happened and after leaving the Lonesome Pine area, I just don't know what happened to him.  Did he leave the state, etc.  My father is 70 TrueBlue and he's in great shape, still runs daily 2 miles, but.....he doesn't have interest in BS anymore.  Meaning, after age 70, he just has a short fuse for any BS because he's seen it all and done it all.  I don't know if Vaught would fall into this category or not.  Mentally and Physically, I would wager the majority of 70 year olds or at least a huge portion of them could do it, but I would wager you have a low threshold for dealing with BS.  I'm not even 50, and I already have the low BS threshold problem or gift...depending how one looks at it.

I looked up Vaught.  It looks like Vaught left the teaching/coaching area in the 1990s and went to work with the Federal Government/US Forestry Service and lives in the Northeast Tennessee area.  After 25 years of federal service and at age 70, Civil Service Employees are near maxing out their government pension and he would now have 25 years of federal service......so........you never know.

41 minutes ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

I just don't know what Vaught has been up to.  Don't even know what state he lives in.  I know he left Richlands and went somewhere in the Wise or Lee County area (I think) after Richlands was teaching or maybe a guidance counselor, etc, and he got accused of pushing a kid or getting physical with a kid.  Again, this is VAGUE stuff and happened in the 90's.  It's been 25 years and I think this is the jest of what happened and after leaving the Lonesome Pine area, I just don't know what happened to him.  Did he leave the state, etc.  My father is 70 TrueBlue and he's in great shape, still runs daily 2 miles, but.....he doesn't have interest in BS anymore.  Meaning, after age 70, he just has a short fuse for any BS because he's seen it all and done it all.  I don't know if Vaught would fall into this category or not.  Mentally and Physically, I would wager the majority of 70 year olds or at least a huge portion of them could do it, but I would wager you have a low threshold for dealing with BS.  I'm not even 50, and I already have the low BS threshold problem or gift...depending how one looks at it.

Being in my position as a Quality Manager unfortunately I put up with a lot of BS.  I can only imagine how much BS these coaches endure.

3 hours ago, Tru Blue72 said:

Would love to see someone outside the SWD get the chance, but in all reality, Tazewell County School Board has some members who have sons coming up in the program and will more than likely be influenced by this factor in their decision making. As I understand it, The Supervisor of Secondary Education wants his son to be QB, wheather or not he has talent, and I don't know that he doesn't, but this will be a picking point this supervisor will discuss with whoever applies.  So it comes back to the good old boys club and the politics of the county. Just saying, my crusty old opinion, take it for what it is.  It's not about school pride, school spirit or fan base, it's all about ME & MINE!!

<ENABLE RANT>

Are you freaking kidding me?  Does this shit ever end?  If you want your kid to be QB he needs to beat out every other kid who also wants to be QB.  These dang dads/family trying to prop up their kids and ensure they never face competition or adversity is sickening. It is pervasive and if JM is going to push this shit, the next coach is already doomed.  Why does it always seem to be dads who weren't successful or talented football players?  Same shit in Dickinson County. Dads and family who couldn't hold a football correctly doing everything off the field and behind closed doors to ensure their kids get the best positions.  This is part of the reason so many locals wash out at next level....they never earned or competed for their position. 

</END RANT> 

22 hours ago, S10SQUAREBODY4LIFE said:

Please call Dwayne Stanley.......

On 11/15/2023 at 10:21 AM, Tru Blue72 said:

Would love to see someone outside the SWD get the chance, but in all reality, Tazewell County School Board has some members who have sons coming up in the program and will more than likely be influenced by this factor in their decision making. As I understand it, The Supervisor of Secondary Education wants his son to be QB, wheather or not he has talent

, and I don't know that he doesn't, but this will be a picking point this supervisor will discuss with whoever applies.  So it comes back to the good old boys club and the politics of the county. Just saying, my crusty old opinion, take it for what it is.  It's not about school pride, school spirit or fan base, it's all about ME & MINE!!

Nailed it! Nailed it! Nailed it!

For a totally out of left field perspective, is it common or effective to recruit a coaching staff and players of fathers and sons? 
Hear me out…

1. Coaches aren’t paid enough. Dads coach for free because they love the game and care about their children’s welfare. 

2. Our cousins across the county line have multiple dads on staff who recently brought their kids with them. (In basketball, another head coach brings his kids to new school.)

3. While I don’t know any of the coaches personally, Union and Graham for example seem to have a huge staff of coaches who are not teachers and don’t appear to be actively coaching on Fridays and Saturdays. 

So, could the solution be as simple as getting a good head coach? Then a knowledgeable OC and DC (bonus points if athlete’s’ father. Fill the rest with rising little league coaches/fathers. The smaller the school, the quicker it works. 

(Tongue in cheek/conspiracy theory, but the more I think on it, especially from the money/job perspectives, the more I believe that it could work.)

44 minutes ago, tornado99 said:

For a totally out of left field perspective, is it common or effective to recruit a coaching staff and players of fathers and sons? 
Hear me out…

1. Coaches aren’t paid enough. Dads coach for free because they love the game and care about their children’s welfare. 

2. Our cousins across the county line have multiple dads on staff who recently brought their kids with them. (In basketball, another head coach brings his kids to new school.)

3. While I don’t know any of the coaches personally, Union and Graham for example seem to have a huge staff of coaches who are not teachers and don’t appear to be actively coaching on Fridays and Saturdays. 

So, could the solution be as simple as getting a good head coach? Then a knowledgeable OC and DC (bonus points if athlete’s’ father. Fill the rest with rising little league coaches/fathers. The smaller the school, the quicker it works. 

(Tongue in cheek/conspiracy theory, but the more I think on it, especially from the money/job perspectives, the more I believe that it could work.)

As much fun we make about the number of coaches for Union most aren’t coaches just guys helping out so they can get in the game for free 

9 minutes ago, Duke2015 said:

As much fun we make about the number of coaches for Union most aren’t coaches just guys helping out so they can get in the game for free 

I need to get on that gravy train with ticket prices being $8-10 per game! 😂😂😂 Some of us are pooor! 😂😂😂

With all the “experts” on this site The Tazewell County School Board just needs to start reading and select one. Cousin Delbert said that Ryan4VT being a Richlands boy might be the one.  However, Uncle Percy said that the character who posted this

On 11/10/2023 at 11:24 PM, Duke2015 said:

I don’t think they should’ve quit but there needs to be a rule after 1 half that when the score reaches 50+ point lead the games over.  No sense in humiliating a team 

definitely not. This is something that only some Mamby Pamby Millennial or Generation Z Participation Trophy recipient could come up with. Even though it may be humiliating and embarrassing, you never ever quit. Quitting is for Losers.