New Head Coach at Richlands

Blue Tornado

1 hour ago, Tru Blue72 said:

I'll open up Pandora's Box here:  What about Aaron Lowe? Good guy, good proven coach, great motivator with the players, and offensive minded, just ask Honaker.  I know somone will comment on this post for sure.

My question, besides the obvious reason of wanting a challenge (a big one) and the opportunity, would he or the other names mentioned be interested? I’m not against this name, Shane Wicks (as mentioned on After the Whistle), Dennis Palmer, or Greg Mance (a stretch). All of these guys are certainly in better situations currently and some would be difficult healing old wounds or dealing with those who had crossed them, right or wrong. For the life of me, I can’t think of any qualified candidate that would have such a love for Richlands that would take on such a heavy lift. I do think it is going to take 2-3 years, so we as a fan base must be patient. Another thought is who from a smaller school would be bettering themselves?

On a serious note, since Honaker has had some success with Richlands guys coming over, Richlands should maybe consider "stealing back."  The Head Coach at Honaker is a good one.  They shouldn't have let him get away at Fort Chiswell, and then Ridgeview really kicked themselves.  Dude can coach.  If you watch Honaker, they are out scheming people.  I don't mean to be offensive and I'm not knocking Honaker's talent either because they have good talent, but he's also outscheming opponents in addition to the talent.

From the latter category, how about Rhodes (reportedly turned down before), Warner (Twin Springs), Tommy Crigger (Twin Valley)? Admittedly, I’m not terribly familiar with local ties other than Crigger, but I feel each would have a larger talent pool at their disposal. As far as records, I’m particularly impressed by Twin Springs in recent years.

8 minutes ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

On a serious note, since Honaker has had some success with Richlands guys coming over, Richlands should maybe considering "stealing back."  The Head Coach at Honaker is a good one.  They shouldn't have let him get away at Fort Chiswell, and then Ridgeview really kicked themselves.  Dude can coach.  If you watch Honaker, they are out scheming people.  I don't mean to be offensive and I'm not knocking Honaker's talent either because they have good talent, but he's also outscheming opponents in addition to the talent.

This, if doable, is very logical. Occasionally, especially with transfers, Honaker has more absolute talent than Richlands, but usually simply because of numbers, Richlands usually has more talent. Honaker has the advantage of talent relative to enrollment. One or two athletic kids means a world of difference in Class 1, compared to competition. They are clearly the most talented 1D team. When compared to Union, Graham, and Radford, I believe it’s a sizable gap. The Tigers are currently the big fish in the small pond.

1 hour ago, tornado99 said:

From the latter category, how about Rhodes (reportedly turned down before), Warner (Twin Springs), Tommy Crigger (Twin Valley)? Admittedly, I’m not terribly familiar with local ties other than Crigger, but I feel each would have a larger talent pool at their disposal. As far as records, I’m particularly impressed by Twin Springs in recent years.

Keith Warner has done a fantastic job at TS and the kids love him, but he's pretty entrenched in Scott Co.

It would definitely be worth reaching out to him though.

Collier at Rye Cove has done a great job, but not knowing him, I assumed geography would be an issue. I wasn’t aware of Warner’s connection, but know Nickelsville is closer than Duffield. Both of their results cannot be overlooked. 

41 minutes ago, Union_Fan said:

Keith Warner has done a fantastic job at TS and the kids love him, but he's pretty entrenched in Scott Co.

It would definitely be worth reaching out to him though.

Union was very blessed to have Travis Turner ready to step up during consolidation to steer the ship that is usually stacked with talent and tradition.

Edited by tornado99
Spelling

1 hour ago, land_rider said:

I never said a word about Coach Tarter, and you need to quit trying to turn people against him with your off the wall remarks Sir ! 

Uhhh. There’s a lot to unpack here. 
1. You are the one who said, “this crap of putting guys in there that don’t know football has got to stop !” And last I checked, Tarter was one of the guys who coached this team. 
2. What off the wall remarks have I said?? 

4 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

1. You are the one who said, “this crap of putting guys in there that don’t know football has got to stop !” And last I checked, Tarter was one of the guys who coached this team. 
2. What off the wall remarks have I said?? You ask me if I was saying Tarter couldn’t coach he was 0-10 you tell us ? 

On 11/10/2023 at 11:11 AM, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

I have it on good authority it's down to Greg Mance, Harold Keener Fry, Dennis Vault, and Chris Akers.

Don't forget the ghostly visage of Ernie Hicks!

On 11/10/2023 at 12:56 PM, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

On a serious note, since Honaker has had some success with Richlands guys coming over, Richlands should maybe consider "stealing back."  The Head Coach at Honaker is a good one.  They shouldn't have let him get away at Fort Chiswell, and then Ridgeview really kicked themselves.  Dude can coach.  If you watch Honaker, they are out scheming people.  I don't mean to be offensive and I'm not knocking Honaker's talent either because they have good talent, but he's also outscheming opponents in addition to the talent.

So if he did go to Richlands does he take back all of the players that he took from them this year?

15 minutes ago, Blue Tornado said:

The job has officially been posted on the TCPs website, with a closing date of November 30.

Would like to see who applies.  There might there are some interesting names.

I think Richlands surprises some people.