New Head Coach at Richlands

Blue Tornado

5 minutes ago, sixcat said:

If you have two coaches with brains, do you have any coaches with brains?

Only 2 strategists, the rest is all tactical and operational level. (I just read an article on military leadership levels today). I had to throw it in here. 

MountainFootball, many can have "brains," but if they have ego and narcissism with the brains, then it's a problem. Heck, only takes one at the top to have zero humility and narcissistic personality to crap the whole bed.

My comment was meant to be a joke. A take on the "if you have two QB's, do you have a QB" mantra. 

Not that I could do a lot better, but I see an awful lot of coaches in this region that have little to nothing in terms of operational or tactical strategy intelligence. I see a lot of "let's pound our head against a brick wall and see which one breaks first" strategy. 

2 hours ago, Blue Tornado said:

What about one of the current assistants going to the head coaching job?

What about one of the assistants' daddy as HC and keep the two assistants? I don't think anyone would not like said person as HC as one of Richlands' beloved football greats! 

Mind you, Im still of the opinion all new may be best but if not all new, the above might work.

24 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

What about one of the assistants' daddy as HC and keep the two assistants? I don't think anyone would not like said person as HC as one of Richlands' beloved football greats! 

Mind you, Im still of the opinion all new may be best but if not all new, the above might work.

0-10 record screams ALL NEW!!!

19 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

I think the following statement applies for most schools, maybe not all, but most.  If the issue is small town good ole boy politics, it's tough to change.  Even if a completely new regime is brought in, it is often impressive how the small town and good ole boy system engulfs the new regime.  This is Not always the case, but many times, it is the case.  It will take some changing not just among the New Staff, but it will require some change or "discomfort" in the local population-powers that be (whoever that is, Board, Principal, AD, etc) in order to be successful.  You see a guy like the former Galax Coach do wonders, but then he goes to Pulaski and still did pretty good, but tough resistance with the culture there that is just entrenched in 1993.  

Graham's Glynn Carlock comes to mind.  Carlock of course was an insider as part of the Graham system, but in a small way, somewhat of an outsider.  He lived in Bluefield, WV.  He had a little distance from the small town political stuff, maybe not much, but some, and of course, he had great leadership qualities.  He just wasn't going to allow the BS and had buy in.  Finding great leaders is tough man.  It ain't easy, but there are some out there that are special and you get the right one, and things can turn quickly.  Best wishes for the Blues

12 minutes ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

I think the following statement applies for most schools, maybe not all, but most.  If the issue is small town good ole boy politics, it's tough to change.  Even if a completely new regime is brought in, it is often impressive how the small town and good ole boy system engulfs the new regime.  This is Not always the case, but many times, it is the case.  It will take some changing not just among the New Staff, but it will require some change or "discomfort" in the local population-powers that be (whoever that is, Board, Principal, AD, etc) in order to be successful.  You see a guy like the former Galax Coach do wonders, but then he goes to Pulaski and still did pretty good, but tough resistance with the culture there that is just entrenched in 1993.  

Graham's Glynn Carlock comes to mind.  Carlock of course was an insider as part of the Graham system, but in a small way, somewhat of an outsider.  He lived in Bluefield, WV.  He had a little distance from the small town political stuff, maybe not much, but some, and of course, he had great leadership qualities.  He just wasn't going to allow the BS and had buy in.  Finding great leaders is tough man.  It ain't easy, but there are some out there that are special and you get the right one, and things can turn quickly.  Best wishes for the Blues

Galax had never had anyone involved with athletics with the background of Dixon. This community was never going to question anything he did. I think you're seeing some of that erode now. The basketball program essentially lost Verl Brown and Dixon at the same time and it hasn't recovered. Too many people in the community chipping away at the foundation of the program with the mindset, they know more than the coaching staff. It takes a certain strength and leadership to overcome those cultural issues every community has in one form or fashion. 

53 minutes ago, Tru Blue72 said:

0-10 record screams ALL NEW!!!

I'm not disputing that. I'm still of the opinion all new but I'm doubtful that happens. I don't have a dog in the fight but I'd like to see the program rebound because it makes all of us better when our three county teams are competitive. 

On 11/7/2023 at 8:50 AM, Blue Tornado said:

Ronnie Davis started coaching this fall and then quit so I don’t know why they would give it to him.

Well maybe I was right. Heard from a good source that they offered Davis but he turned it down 

9 hours ago, Blue Tornado said:

That he turned it down recently?

13 hours ago, Westisthebest said:

Well maybe I was right. Heard from a good source that they offered Davis but he turned it down 

That’s hard to believe that he would turn it down, but anything is possible. 
He is already getting crucified as the basketball HC and with his quitter past, he’s probably already planning his exit. 

59 minutes ago, TnT+h said:

What does this job look like How many coaches are staying, How many can a new guy bring? How good was JV and middle school?  Can it be turned around quickly? 

I don't think you can bring very many in because if the old guys are employed as teachers or inside school system its not like they are leaving their full-time jobs just because they don't coach anymore. You'd have to find a load of assistant coaches willing to move to a place and coach for a $2000 stipend or hope they get full time jobs. People always say clean house and bring in your own assistants but thats not really possible for most of SWVA jobs you are stuck with people who teach at the school or already work in the area.  It cannot be turned around quickly baring some influx or transfers or the ones who transferred out coming back because the JV and middle school teams had very little talent

1 hour ago, TnT+h said:

What does this job look like How many coaches are staying, How many can a new guy bring? How good was JV and middle school?  Can it be turned around quickly? 

Haven't heard anything from the political machine (School Board) on coaches.  JV and Middle School both had some good upcoming talent, but they are just hard working country boys with everyday hard working parents, not part of the "Good Old Buddy Club" Richlands has seen used lately, so many of them will probably transfer or choose not to play.  If it continues to be a rgeular thing, these hard working everyday working class players won't get to see the field except for being practice dummies. In order for things to improve, this is the situation a new coach will face.  The new HC will have to have a good fortitude to be able to play talent instead of Buddy Ball.

Me thinks there are more options than the board may realize and they are pretty good options if it all comes together.  There are some good people over there that are working to get this right.  I caveat that with the usual beware small town politics.  

What about Dennis Vault or Freddie Simon and all new assistants? Just putting that out there! Or maybe let the tax payers decide by voting, this crap of putting guys in there that don’t know football has got to stop ! 

No nothing, and with playoffs here, think this will delay any potential candidates openly being considered until playoffs are over.  I have a gut feeling on whom I think could be offered, but will see if it comes to fruition.  

1 hour ago, land_rider said:

What about Dennis Vault or Freddie Simon and all new assistants? Just putting that out there! Or maybe let the tax payers decide by voting, this crap of putting guys in there that don’t know football has got to stop ! 

Are you trying to say Jeff Tarter “don’t know football”?!? 

6 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

Are you trying to say Jeff Tarter “don’t know football”?!? 

That’s what I was wondering by his comment. Tarter definitely knows football. He was unfortunately appointed captain of a ship that was already sinking. I still think he did the best he could all things considered and stepped up when no one was willing. I wish him all the best and hope they find someone to build the program back up. Folks need to realize, it’s not a one season “fix”. It will take some determination and dedication of a strong coach and the Blues’ fan base needs to be supportive and give some grace to whomever takes over. The powers that be need to leave the person alone. Just my thoughts anyway.