Question...

GMan

7 hours ago, Liam McPoyle said:

IMO, students are ill-equipped to select a proper school name. Most have little knowledge or appreciation for local history, geography, or fauna. The results are unimaginative and generic names and mascots best suited for a Disney Channel high school.

I would agree, but at the time they were trying to make consolidation as smooth as possible. The thought was since the students were the ones to be truly impacted it would be less controversial if they decided.

Ultimately, I think the goal was to keep as much out of the hands of adults because they were the ones arguing about everything.

I don't know the ins and outs of the old southwest or who was in it but I think when the Highlands was created and Lee came out swinging, it made for some enemies quick.  At that time, Gate City was controlling the district/region and weren't accustomed to losing so I'm sure the two fan bases were not receptive of one another.  Miss those kind of rivalries and crowds.  You knew there was a game on Friday, lights were out in town(s) but the stadium lights were on.

2 minutes ago, S10SQUAREBODY4LIFE said:

I don't know the ins and outs of the old southwest or who was in it but I think when the Highlands was created and Lee came out swinging, it made for some enemies quick.  At that time, Gate City was controlling the district/region and weren't accustomed to losing so I'm sure the two fan bases were not receptive of one another.  Miss those kind of rivalries and crowds.  You knew there was a game on Friday, lights were out in town(s) but the stadium lights were on.

In the late 80s when Lee was formed, they were good, very good. So was Gate City, but Gate City wasn't controlling the SWD or Region. Graham was. I know because I played against them twice in 1989. They won the Region in 89, 90, 93, 95. Lee started to fall off in 96. In 91 and 92 Radford won the region. 

2 hours ago, Maynman said:

I’ve been away from the area for a long time, but I used to despise Pennington when Don Williams was there due to them holding back players to create an advantage. 

2 hours ago, sixcat said:

You been living in Tulsa Time?

I challenge anyone to name a better triple-threat singer/songwriter/football coach than Don Williams.

2 hours ago, Maynman said:

I’ve been away from the area for a long time, but I used to despise Pennington when Don Williams was there due to them holding back players to create an advantage. 

A friend of mine from Appalachia talks about the Pennington teams kicking the hell out of his teams when he played JV as they were playing older kids, in varsity that balanced out lol

Like the Union name, but the Bears? Should've been more creative than that. I have to say that I don't actually hate any of the high schools though. Even though our grandson recently played for Dobyns-Bennett, their fans can be a little overbearing when it comes to talking about their record over the years and all of their state "championships" none of which were won under a playoff format. They also used to talk about their dominance over Science Hill, but not that the tables have turned, they make fun of it being Science Hill's Super Bowl.  I also took a little smug satisfaction with Vero Beach and their band of mercenaries failing to advance past the 2nd round this year. They reeled in 7 John Carroll (here in Fort Pierce) starters, including 2 four star players, and turning Carroll from a state title contender in their division to a team that failed to make the playoffs. Vero also had 7 other transfers from other teams, giving them 14 starters who weren't in the program before. Did that cause a rift with the other players? I'll go out on a limb and say yes. 

3 hours ago, S10SQUAREBODY4LIFE said:

Don't know what the enrollment numbers were at Pennington before consolidation, but with the low numbers now at Lee I couldn't imagine they were much different than current numbers.  With that, Pennington should have been whooping 1A worse than they were.  

Pennington was 2A. The last year maybe two before Lees consolidation Region D  was won by Cumberland District schools in both Division 1 & 2.

7 hours ago, Maynman said:

No worries, hold backs still.happen in SWVA, lol. I don't know how prevalent it is but it happens. 

Wise Central because we are tired of hearing “ wait until our JV comes up for the 1000 time, because of the holdbacks are growing beards as freshmen and their parents that think because they live in wise they rate better everything, Then there’s DB of Kingsport the greatest football team that Never won a state championship on the field. Then Letcher Co Ky because of their cheating ass refs

1. Graham. The arrogance, the recruiting, the facilities, the colors, the name, the t-shirts, the band, the love for them on here, etc, etc. Red Sox fans hate everything Yankees, so I will hate everything Graham.

2. Wise Central. Terrible name for school and nickname, the drive sucks, the fans, field is nice tho. 

3. Giles. The offense and the train horn. I don't mind Union's train horn bc they havent complained about it for almost the entire 2023 season. 

Honorable Mentions: Richlands- Personal Reasons. Any school that has a terrible drive, especially over the mountains and thru the woods. (Buchanan County, Ridgeview, McDowell County)

Cant wait to hear the hate back for having an opinion. 

4 hours ago, LacesOutDan23 said:

1. Graham. The arrogance, the recruiting, the facilities, the colors, the name, the t-shirts, the band, the love for them on here, etc, etc. Red Sox fans hate everything Yankees, so I will hate everything Graham.

2. Wise Central. Terrible name for school and nickname, the drive sucks, the fans, field is nice tho. 

3. Giles. The offense and the train horn. I don't mind Union's train horn bc they havent complained about it for almost the entire 2023 season. 

Honorable Mentions: Richlands- Personal Reasons. Any school that has a terrible drive, especially over the mountains and thru the woods. (Buchanan County, Ridgeview, McDowell County)

Watch yourself Dan, you don’t disrespect the Spartan horn. I will come to Pounding Mill and blow it outside your house all hours of the night. 

11 minutes ago, SWVAgridiron said:

Watch yourself Dan, you don’t disrespect the Spartan horn. I will come to Pounding Mill and blow it outside your house all hours of the night. 

It's stuff like the train horn that make high school football awesome and unique. I'll chip in gas money to haul that thing to Galax next fall. 

I’ll stick to this area, since I will support anyone against those outside. It’s gotten complicated since I root for Dennis Palmer’s success, but otherwise it would be Graham. Some of the reasons, exclusive to football, are all of the advantages of local talent in the immediate area close to the school. ( The only disadvantage is enrollment. ) Much of that is enhanced by recruiting/exchanges with Bluefield/WV. They were the SWD team to beat during my high school years and shortly after. Thankfully, we got them my senior year. Most schools have not had multiple D-1/D2 caliber players consistently available. No disrespect directed toward the late, great Glynn Carlock or Tony Palmer, but it seems they usually start with a leg up in the available talent department.

Before someone references the pot calling the kettle black, I am not an advocate of actively recruiting if or when Richlands benefited from the practices and understand parents who intend to move their child to a better place. I’ll use the reference of 2004-2008 to prove success is possible without the practice. 

17 hours ago, SWVAgridiron said:

Then I will just camp out on school property lol. I get the frustration but its not a program rule, its a county rule. So Richlands, Graham, and Tazewell all have to abide by it. We cant even use cowbells anymore.

BTW had the perfect dirty joke to that response

On 12/11/2023 at 9:39 AM, LacesOutDan23 said:

307248709_THEYHATEUS.jpg.cc6e93c4bd0551f9c1b0833190e1a5b7.jpg

43 minutes ago, LacesOutDan23 said:

Do you mean us as in the Greater Surrounding Bluefield area? Or just homegrown Bluefield, VA talent? Just needing the clarification.

I know you’re responding to the other quote, but my issues are based upon an inability to differentiate between the two. The state line and family on each side makes transfers much easier to move to whoever has the hot hand. I only concentrate on Graham due to the competition. I’m rooting for the G-men over their West Virginia rivals. Admittedly, some jealousy of success is the primary motive. I still stand by the advantages stated earlier as the primary reasons for that success.

Still, good luck to Dennis Palmer and to the G-men when playing someone outside Tazewell County.