Controversial

Single A west

Let's say a varsity high school football player was driving under the influence of alcohol . Goes off road onto a place of business and taken in by local authorities. No court date set yet.

Should this player be

A. Allowed to start the next game and waite for court case

B. Immediately kicked off the team until charge cleared

C. Allowed to practice but not play until pending charge cleared up

D. None of the above

C but A and B are possible too. Thing is when any person is issued a summons in VA a court date has to be on it by the arresting officer. So if it's a DUI, an arraignment court date is set maybe a few days after the arrest to make sure you have an attorney. Then after the arraignment another court date is scheduled.

Under normal conditions I would have to say you have to wait for the trial or plea. But ANY alcohol by an underage person is illegal so I would suspend him for drinking same as if it were at a party if you knew for sure he was drinking. Such as he told the officer he only had one or two. The DUI you would have to wait on the court proceedings unless he confesses.

Sounds like a lawsuit to me if said player is cleared of all charges and he was kicked off the team and possibly ruin any chance of recruitment. If found guilty then he should be kicked off the team and not allowed to participate in any sports the remainder of the school year. So I am going with A.

Unless he is from Hurley then I think he and all his friends should be kicked off the team immediately especially if it is one of their studs. Then we might have a shot Friday night. JK on this part before anyone gets their panties in a wad.

B. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but they don't arrest someone for drunk driving if they haven't blown above legal. Having said that, if it's a high schooler, ANY level is illegal. Is it automatically deemed DUI if the person is under age?

B. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but they don't arrest someone for drunk driving if they haven't blown above legal. Having said that, if it's a high schooler, ANY level is illegal. Is it automatically deemed DUI if the person is under age?

Yeah. Any person under 21 the limit is .002. But under 21 I think if you drink alcohol and blow less than .002 you still get charged for a crime but its not a DUI. Happen to my neighbor when he was 17. Lol

IMO, that's an issue for the parents and law enforcement to deal with, not the school or the coach. If the school or coach had a set of rules prior to the season and they were presented to the team, that's a different story...but unless the players were explicitly told they would be removed from the team for certain behaviors, it's a matter for the parents and the authorities. Now, if it happened at school or at a school function, then the school system should get involved.

Let's say a varsity high school football player was driving under the influence of alcohol . Goes off road onto a place of business and taken in by local authorities. No court date set yet.

Should this player be

A. Allowed to start the next game and waite for court case

B. Immediately kicked off the team until charge cleared

C. Allowed to practice but not play until pending charge cleared up

D. None of the above

This scenario sounds eerily familiar and very local.

What if said player has also been suspended for committing a crime on school grounds during school hours that landed himself and another young man in jail and this was not his first alcohol related incident?  What if said player was already 18 years of age?

Do these facts alter choices A-D?    

Proverbs 16:18-19 - Pride goes before destruction, a haughty spirit before a fall.  Better to be lowly in spirit along with the oppressed than to share plunder with the proud.

While I may be agnostic today I was raised in church.  In my humble opinion, we will be looking back on this series of incidents in a few years as the beginning of the end for this program.

Proverbs 16:18-19 - Pride goes before destruction, a haughty spirit before a fall.  Better to be lowly in spirit along with the oppressed than to share plunder with the proud.

While I may be agnostic today I was raised in church.  In my humble opinion, we will be looking back on this series of incidents in a few years as the beginning of the end for this program.

I hope you are wrong sixcat.  It would be a shame for the community and the kids to finally get a great coach that's actually building a good program only to be ruined by the actions of a few.  But in the end it only takes a few or one in some cases to ruin a good thing.  After talking to Dixon last year at Mitchell Stadium I feel confident he would do the right thing if he has the backing of the administration and community.  

I hope you are wrong sixcat.  It would be a shame for the community and the kids to finally get a great coach that's actually building a good program only to be ruined by the actions of a few.  But in the end it only takes a few or one in some cases to ruin a good thing.  After talking to Dixon last year at Mitchell Stadium I feel confident he would do the right thing if he has the backing of the administration and community.  

I hope I am wrong also but I have been completely disappointed with the lack of discipline coming from the coaching staff, school board and administration.  Not only in this situation but other as well.  

A man I have more respect for than any other human on earth has always told my brother and I "at the end of the day, you either coach it or you allow it".

While it cannot be denied what Dixon has been able to do for this community from an athletics perspective, at the end of the day, he is either coaching this fiasco or allowing it!

This scenario sounds eerily familiar and very local.

What if said player has also been suspended for committing a crime on school grounds during school hours that landed himself and another young man in jail and this was not his first alcohol related incident?  What if said player was already 18 years of age?

Do these facts alter choices A-D?    

It absolutely does.  In that case, the school system, the authorities, the coach, and the parents all have every right to punish.  Considering most schools have zero tolerance policies when it comes to alcohol, drugs, or weapons, the kid would most likely be suspended.  While suspended from school, that includes all extracurricular activities.  All the other factors just add to the mess.

It absolutely does.  In that case, the school system, the authorities, the coach, and the parents all have every right to punish.  Considering most schools have zero tolerance policies when it comes to alcohol, drugs, or weapons, the kid would most likely be suspended.  While suspended from school, that includes all extracurricular activities.  All the other factors just add to the mess.

I agree on all accounts but the school system has taken the public policy of "Innocent until proven guilty" and "what happens away from school and not associated with school activities is none of our business" approach.  While innocent until proven guilty is something that should be afforded everyone, felonious offenders should also be suspended from extra-curricular activities until any and all legal issues are resolved.

I ask, how has that policy worked out for them in the recent past?  This isn't a new phenomena for this athletic department.

I agree on all accounts but the school system has taken the public policy of "Innocent until proven guilty" and "what happens away from school and not associated with school activities is none of our business" approach.  While innocent until proven guilty is something that should be afforded everyone, felonious offenders should also be suspended from extra-curricular activities until any and all legal issues are resolved.

I ask, how has that policy worked out for them in the recent past?  This isn't a new phenomena for this athletic department.

Still, if a student is found in possession of alcohol, drugs, or weapons on school property, there is no assumption of guilt...that is being caught red handed.  In most school systems that in itself violates the zero tolerance policy, results in an automatic suspension, and is sent before the school board with a recommendation of expulsion for 365 calendar days.  Many times the expulsion doesn't happen and an alternate punishment is used, but that's the way most systems in Virginia operate.  If it didn't happen on school property, the school has no horse in the race IMO as I stated earlier.

Many schools have a student code of conduct that does not require  a "guilty" court verdict. Possesion, under age drinking charges etc.  Just holds students to higher accountability.....not sure if it aligns with "innocent till proven guilty" concept.

The VHSL has an athlete in good standing rule. I would think that an athlete that has been charged would not be in good standing. I understand where the thought process is with innocent until proven guilty but an amateur athlete that is underage is not the same as an adult that is released until court date. Not knowing anything about the situation I would think most school districts would at least suspend the athlete until the court makes a decision.