Hurley vs PM

Lance

I knw coach Carlock died Observer I was making a point.. I also know your the most arrogant ass hole I've ever saw. So get over yourself.

Sixcat I agree with what your saying about some fans being overzealous but come on Hurley doesn't have the market cornered on that everybody has them. I do get tired of seeing all the negative crap and especially derogatory comments from some. Haters gonna hate I guess...God bless you all.

A difference of opinion I can understand but a lot of it comes across a lot deeper....I'm done with this...Good luck to all the teams in our area this weekend.

It certainly does come across as "a lot deeper"!

I've said many times this year (and even before the season started) that I saw Hurley as a dark horse in 1A. They did what they had to do against a weak schedule, and we will see how good they really are starting next week (if they win this week). With that said, I agree with what others have posted. There's a difference in being prideful of a great season, and chest thumping and disagreeing with EVERY poster that happens to have a different opinion. Be proud, but also be a bit humble. 

I hope Hurley pulls off the win this week, I sincerely do.

Calling Graham a 40 pound bag of manure is most ridiculous thing I've read on here cause this is Grahams best team since the Ahmad Bradshaw days and they are one of the top teams in the state so regardless if that's a joke or not that's just stupid and most Hurley people would agree with me on that. With that being said Hurley has had a great season regardless of the strength of their schedule. Hurley has had more embarrassing seasons than successful seasons so this year Hurley fans take it in and enjoy it. You've been kicked around by Grundy, Honaker and Haysi a lot over the years. Regardless of what happens with Parry McCluer those players made school history and they deserve some praise.

Guys, most everyone here has SWVA pride and wants to see EVERY local team go as far as possible. But it is possible to turn people off of you can't accept valid criticism and see where others are coming from. Hurley is a very good team, but when dealing with juggernauts like Galax and GW, to be the man, youngotta beat the man.

I'm not sure how or why this conversation took a nosedive. Lance asked a simple question and it went from being positive to a hot mess. We all have bad apples in our fan bases that would rather argue than eat so don't lump whatever amount of Hurley posters that are members of this message board with two or three knuckleheads. Y'all have been on this message board long enough to know the difference between a legit fan and someone who is an idiot.

The Hurley community is very proud of this year's team as should Richlands, Graham, Union, GW, Galax etc communities should be proud of their football teams. Any parent of a football player knows the commitment that the kids make to be in the playoffs and be successful. The Rebels have have worked hard to be 11-0. They were 8-2 last year playing the same schedule and they rededicated this offseason to defeat two teams that they lost to last year. Trust me, I know how much work because my son is on the team and has worked harder than anytime in his life for the opportunity to get to the big game.

Someone said that Hurley people on this board think this is the best team in SWVA. I'm not sure when or if it was said but the coaches, the players and the parents involved in the program have never said anything of the such. The coaches tell the boys every day and I'm quoting Rick Flair...."to be the man....you got to beat the man". Galax is the defending champion and they are back in the same position as last year. Sorry GW fans, sorry Riverhead fans and all the others but until Galax is knocked off they are the best in 1A.

My last thing I want to cover is that someone said Hurley only had a good team every 10 to 15 years. I actually think this was a Hurley poster and that just shows how close they follow the program. Coach Tester, Coach Davis and Coach Quinley have consistently had Hurley playing competitive football in SWVA under their tenure. These three have only had 3 losing records since 2006....2006, 2007 and 2013. The 2010 team was one of my favorites because they broke the string of victories that Haysi held over Hurley and qualified for the playoffs. The 2008 team was a good team and they had a winning record after struggling for two years with a losing record. The 2014 team was a good team and broke the long string victories that Grundy held over Hurley. I could go on but I will shut up now. I just wanted to clear the air on some things and let y'all know the difference between a fan and fair weather fan. Good luck to everyone this week and Thank y'all for your time.

"Sorry GW fans, sorry Riverhead fans and all the others but until Galax is knocked off they are the best in 1A"

I'm really not trying to start anything by saying this but by that measure FC is the best team in 1A. They not only beat Galax they beat them soundly. For 4 Qs FC was in control. Now with that said I do agree with you to a point. Now yes some of us are spoiled by the amount of success our teams have year in and year out. And I think that is where alot of this divide comes from. By others standards this Hurley team is amazing but by other people's standards they are unproven. It's really not a knock on the team or the kids. We all know how hard they work they know they have that chip on there shoulders. To prove they are legit and as sad as it is they are going to have to win this week and next week convincingly to prove that. Best of luck to the kids of Hurley and even though I haven't seen you guys this year thank you for the time and effort you guys put in.

I didn't realize Hurley had that many non-losing seasons. I geniuenly mean no offense, but I always thought of Hurley as a pushover, I didn't realize you guys had been successful. Playoff victories will come, Rome wasn't built in a day (although I'm not sure Hurley will ever have this talented of a core again) and you have the bad luck of playing against dominant Galax, GW and Riverheads teams. Kinda like Appo in 2A. They were never a factor years back, and now they're e favorites to go back to back 15-0nseasons and a 30 game win streak. Last year's Richlands team likely wins a state title more often than not, just ran into a buzsaw (and still almost won). Sometimes, its just bad timing.

"Sorry GW fans, sorry Riverhead fans and all the others but until Galax is knocked off they are the best in 1A"

I'm really not trying to start anything by saying this but by that measure FC is the best team in 1A. They not only beat Galax they beat them soundly. For 4 Qs FC was in control. Now with that said I do agree with you to a point. Now yes some of us are spoiled by the amount of success our teams have year in and year out. And I think that is where alot of this divide comes from. By others standards this Hurley team is amazing but by other people's standards they are unproven. It's really not a knock on the team or the kids. We all know how hard they work they know they have that chip on there shoulders. To prove they are legit and as sad as it is they are going to have to win this week and next week convincingly to prove that. Best of luck to the kids of Hurley and even though I haven't seen you guys this year thank you for the time and effort you guys put in.

I think it was more in general Galax is defending 1A champs until someone else hoists the trophy. They also have wins over Glenvar and Giles, two 2A teams that are still playing and only losses are at Chiswell and to #2 2AW Graham.

If Fort Chiswell and Galax meet again, at Galax, would you favor FCv or Galax?

I fully get it was a generalization and yes until someone else holds the gold the Tide is king. That's why I said I agree to a point. And I would favor Galax no question no matter where it took place. I've seen both in person and FC isn't all that impressive. No disrespect but I honestly think Chilhowie, PH (with Dakota)are both better than FC. Yes they beat Galax and that can't be taken away. But we all know they are not on that elite level. That level is reserved for the proven few it takes success on top of success to even be considered. GW hasn't has a loosing season in 20 years. That's is the type of consistency you must have. But no matter what any of us say it's win or go home now. And we are all so close to having so many questions answered. The next 2 weeks will tell us all we need to know. Best of luck to Hurley and everyone else still plying.

And I want to say this. Yes it sucks that an 11-0 Hurley team is being questioned. If Galax, GW, Radford, RR ect went 11-0 this year they would be the favorite to win it all. But that is because of years of success and deep playoff runs. So until Hurley beats GW or one of the perennial powers they will be questioned. Is it right? No the kids work just as hard and to them 11-0 is the best record in 1A. But to the outside viewers it's an 11-0 record against pitifully bad teams. Again it isn't right but it's life and remember the top absolutely hates when someone from the bottom challenges there hold on power. I've seen this comparison a few times now. Look at Western Michigan 10-0 the only unbeaten other than Alabama. But they set at 21 while several teams with 3 losses are ahead of them. It all comes down to recent success Hurley hasn't had any really. This is there chance to prove they belong at the top it's not up to other teams to give them that spot it's up to them to take it. Again best of luck to Hurley I've said it before I'll say it again. If they beat my beloved MAROONS I'll be a Hurley fan the rest of the way.

That's cool man, you can value that win of Fort Chiswell ever how you would like. Coach Tiller has done an excellent job this year and he is letting his playmaker Rider make plays instead of holding down just the tight end spot. That win vs. Galax probably set the tone for the rest of the season for his team.

I just feel that Galax is the team in 1A until proven otherwise because they are the defending state champ and are still in the playoffs. Just like I think Belfry, KY is the team in 3A because they are the defending state champion and still in the playoffs even though they have one loss this year. Strangely enough, Belfry has never went undefeated in any of their 5 state title teams. Y'all out in Wythe Co. probably don't keep up with Belfry Ky but to most kids that play sports in Hurley do because we can be to Belfry/Williamson area as quick as we can Richlands. By the way, I know GW is legit too. I already watched video on you guys. I don't want to post this without giving props to y'all.

I fully get it was a generalization and yes until someone else holds the gold the Tide is king. That's why I said I agree to a point. And I would favor Galax no question no matter where it took place. I've seen both in person and FC isn't all that impressive. No disrespect but I honestly think Chilhowie, PH (with Dakota)are both better than FC. Yes they beat Galax and that can't be taken away. But we all know they are not on that elite level. That level is reserved for the proven few it takes success on top of success to even be considered. GW hasn't has a loosing season in 20 years. That's is the type of consistency you must have. But no matter what any of us say it's win or go home now. And we are all so close to having so many questions answered. The next 2 weeks will tell us all we need to know. Best of luck to Hurley and everyone else still plying.

I agree, and for the time being, unless you're Galax, GW, Riverheads or Sussex, you're gonna have to prove you belong by knocking off one of the big boys. We know Galax is elite, we're almost positive GW and Riverheads are, but Hurley, while posting an extremely impressive perfect record in regular season, is gonna have to prove they belong. They are capable of doing it, its a very good team, but at least in my mind, they're not considered a 1A favorite until they show they can beat champion level teams like Galax/GW.

Beating PM won't be easy by any means, but I do favor Hurley to advance and get their shot at the best.

I'm not a great fan of local football, in fact I live in Hurley.  I've talked to some of these kids parents, make that young men's parents, and I know the commitment these "YOUNG MEN" have made.  I also know that there's a few out there who would talk trash about Hurley if they had played college team's and went undefeated !  They see Hurley as a "backer" (tobacco) chewing, toothless redneck hillbilly community with unpaved roads,  but let me assure anyone who think     along these lines nothing could be farther from the facts !!  We have a paved parking lot at the school, my attempt at a bit of bit of humor.  As was stated earlier, don't lump all Hurley fans in one basket, sure there are some that are rude and crude but again as was stated earlier every community has them. Show me a person who says they don't have fans like that and I'll show you a liar. 

Here is the writeup in BHC along with their prediction:

Parry McCluer (10-1) at Hurley (11-0)

Last meeting:  Hurley 26, Parry McCluer 20 (Nov. 14, 2015 in Hurley

Ball control helped Hurley beat PM in the first round of last year's playoffs as Brady Justice (44 carries, 265 yards) led the way.  The Rebels held a significant edge in plays from scrimmage (70-35), total offense (407-77) and first downs (26-5).  Two of PM's scores came on kickoff returns....Much criticism on some high school football message boards has been levied at the perceived soft schedule both schools played during the regular season.  PM beat four teams that finished with 0-10 records....Hurley has three 1,000-yard rushers in Justice, Zack Lester and Devin Tester.  PM has two of its own in Jeremy Nelson (1,376 yards) and K.J. Cook (1,079 yards).  Nelson is a transfer from Auburn who has gained 7,056 yards in his four-year varsity career....PM's only loss came to 2A Buffalo Gap....Hurley has scored 642 points in 11 games....."Hurley is a very talented and well-coached team," said PM coach Mike Craft.  "In order to beat them, we will need to play a mistake-free game and also get a few turnovers or other breaks.  Hurley probably deserves to be ranked first in the 1A West."....This might be the best playoff game on the docket tonight.

Prediction:  Hurley 28, Parry McCluer 22

My dear observer, you evidently didn't think your thoughts thru very well when you called someone "SNOWFLAKE" because if you did then you're a racist bigot, but I'm sure you didn't mean it to come out as racist.  You really should take your meds regularly !!