Union/Graham

Gridiron60

58 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

That’s essentially what they did.  Accepted 4 of them in a row.  Never seem anything like that!

Ive wondered why more coaches don't take this approach.  I assume they don't have faith in who they have on their return team if one does come short. Each time the KO is moved back 5 yards, so is the spot you can receive it from if you do accept to take the ball instead of making them rekick.

16 minutes ago, 1inStripes said:

Ive wondered why more coaches don't take this approach.  I assume they don't have faith in who they have on their return team if one does come short. Each time the KO is moved back 5 yards, so is the spot you can receive it from if you do accept to take the ball instead of making them rekick.

I think Union takes it at the 35 because any decent returns usually gets called back for holding anyways.  

9 hours ago, GilesDavis4321 said:

Gridiron, the poster T8KN had a good post on potentially why Graham hasn't focused much on the intermediate passing game, and maybe that's the reason.  I don't know.  If you go back and watch the Graham-Union game from earlier, in the second half, the middle of the field is open.  It will be open even more in my opinion in this game.  It's a given that Union is going to be playing so far back it won't be funny in an attempt to not get beat long.  Maybe the G-Men insert some of those 15 yard curls and sit down routes.  If they do that, Union is going to have a long, long day at Mitchell Stadium.  Got to hand it to Graham's QB.  Bradshaw, Meadows, Clements, and Watkins get a bunch of love and deservingly so, but Graham's QB is a big-bruising type runner with great feet, and he's very durable.  

The first thing I noticed was all the “white space” in the middle of the field. I would have three different tunnel/bubble screens drawn up for Bradshaw.  Some rub routes…digs, curls…..just get him the ball in space and make Union DBs cover and use technique.  I still think a 6’6” high school safety and a 6’3”, 200lb CB with average speed screams to be targeted mercilessly especially when you have a D1-FBS slot with explosive close quarters speed and change of direction.

14 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

I’m with you.  I think Graham wins comfortably, 3+ scores.  Two entirely different teams than the two that met earlier in the season.

Please don't jinx us. 

Just now, UVAObserver said:

I’m not.  That’s objectively how I see it.  I think the G-Men roll.

Graham was giving up big chunks against Lee. Union is 50x better than Lee. Could be a long day if they cant stop that run. 

10 hours ago, goose111874 said:

I think Union takes it at the 35 because any decent returns usually gets called back for holding anyways.  

If a team is always going to do the angle kick, after the penalty, if they kick from the 35 and its out of bounds you get it at the 40.  30 = 45.  25 = 50. 20 = 45.  15 = 40.  Sooner or  later they will put one in play.  Its on  the coaches to teach them how to block without holding.

5 hours ago, graham32 said:

Graham was giving up big chunks against Lee. Union is 50x better than Lee. Could be a long day if they cant stop that run. 

In Graham's defense, there were a few starters on the DL and special teams who did not play, so they could heal up and deal with nagging injuries.  They should be at full strength by Saturday.

It's hard to beat the same team twice. Nobody wants a rematch. So forth and so on... BUT that only applies to 2 equally matched teams that continued to get better as the season went along. It seems that these teams have gone in opposite directions in terms of progress. It will take a very disciplined Bear team that has 0 turnovers and very few if any penalties to beat Graham.

The only thing that Union has going for them is their schedule and the variety of teams on that schedule. They've played some good teams that have shown them a little bit of everything in terms of offensive schemes. Union has to make the most of every opportunity and cannot fall behind by more than one score. I look for a hard hitting game, but depending on which team shows up for the Bears, it may or may not be close

The Bears either rise to the occasion or fall apart in big games. It's almost like there's no in-between. Looking forward to seeing who shows up Saturday.

This is one of those must see games, but I think Graham has more weapons than Union and should come out on top.  I'll stick with the SWD team and go with Graham to win, but don't think it will be a run away by any means.  Graham has to show up on defence and stop Union from controlling the clock with 4-downs and a cloud of dust, so to speak.  It'll be a hard fought game and best of luck to both. 

14 hours ago, SwvaOG said:

The first thing I noticed was all the “white space” in the middle of the field. I would have three different tunnel/bubble screens drawn up for Bradshaw.  Some rub routes…digs, curls…..just get him the ball in space and make Union DBs cover and use technique.  I still think a 6’6” high school safety and a 6’3”, 200lb CB with average speed screams to be targeted mercilessly especially when you have a D1-FBS slot with explosive close quarters speed and change of direction.

Bingo.  

6 hours ago, graham32 said:

Just my opinion and only that, and this may upset some Union fans.  Lee High is Better coached than Union offensively.  Is Lee better offensively?  Of course not.  Union is way, way better than Lee on offense, but Lee's offensive scheme, play calling is better than Union's.  I've read the chatter on here about Lee's Coach all year and I agree.  This guy was good when he was at Marion.  I think that if the Lee Coach has Graham or Union's players, both of those offenses are actually a bit better.  I'm not saying he's the better overall coach.  He may be, he may not, I don't know.  Coaching is defense, offense, special teams, getting your kids ready to play, motivation, leadership, discipline, details, getting kids out of the hallways, organization and a ton of other crap I know nothing about because I'm not a coach, but I do know what my eyeballs see.  They tell me the guy at Lee is very, very good offensively.  I remember his Marion teams and they seemed to move the ball, and much like Lee, with not the best talent. 

If the guy at Lee (I think Carroll is his name) has equal talent, he wins much more than he loses.  The question for Lee High is whether they have talent and if they do, can their staff get em out of the hallways and onto the football field. 

I think it's because after the last guy they had 0 offensive/defensive identity.  Anything resembling an offensive scheme would look great compared to where they were.  With that being said,  Lee is making due with what is available but after this season I believe they will continue to make big strides. Partly because they were so bad that any improvement seems monumental and partly because they are getting a much more structured plan that will be the groundwork for the next few years.  As luck would have it,  east mont game put them in the playoffs,  hoping for a full regular schedule next season.  

Good luck to both G&U

1 hour ago, GilesDavis4321 said:

Just my opinion and only that, and this may upset some Union fans.  Lee High is Better coached than Union offensively.  Is Lee better offensively?  Of course not.  Union is way, way better than Lee on offense, but Lee's offensive scheme, play calling is better than Union's.  I've read the chatter on here about Lee's Coach all year and I agree.  This guy was good when he was at Marion.  I think that if the Lee Coach has Graham or Union's players, both of those offenses are actually a bit better.  I'm not saying he's the better overall coach.  He may be, he may not, I don't know.  Coaching is defense, offense, special teams, getting your kids ready to play, motivation, leadership, discipline, details, getting kids out of the hallways, organization and a ton of other crap I know nothing about because I'm not a coach, but I do know what my eyeballs see.  They tell me the guy at Lee is very, very good offensively.  I remember his Marion teams and they seemed to move the ball, and much like Lee, with not the best talent. 

If the guy at Lee (I think Carroll is his name) has equal talent, he wins much more than he loses.  The question for Lee High is whether they have talent and if they do, can their staff get em out of the hallways and onto the football field. 

Watching the game vs Lee I thought the same thing about them being well coached and having a creative playbook. Lee just wasn't nearly as talented as Graham.

1 hour ago, GilesDavis4321 said:

Lee’s issue with getting people to play sports has a lot more to do with the county itself and the very poor towns within it. Most of the students there come from impoverished families that can’t afford for them to play sports or just don’t show their kid any support and encouragement to play. Not to mention all the people who move out of the county looking for work because there is nowhere but McDonalds and Walmart to work. Gas money for traveling to and from practice/games, paying for certain equipment, and paying for their kids to eat after an away game isn’t feasible for a lot of people in Pennington Gap and Jonesville. Driving through both towns is a sad sight with all the closed down shops and people walking the streets who look like zombies. I’m sure other coal mining towns whos economy got wrecked can relate to having low numbers like Lee. 

2 hours ago, GilesDavis4321 said:

He'll turn the program around if they give him time.  Also I'm not sure if he's a better coach or not but him being creative with the playbook has a lot to do with them not having any running game vs a good team and their QB is pretty good so that helps

By the time he had developed some talent at marion they were solid,  competing with some of the more traditional power schools in  the region. 

The difference i believe you'll begin to see in the spring when those kids get involved in track. He coached that also so I assume he is there. Between learning to run and a good year of lifting they'll be improved. Numbers should pick up too. A few other schools should take some notes.  He's a modern coach,  with old school work ethic and I hope it's contagious.  

10 hours ago, Real Sasquatch said:

In Graham's defense, there were a few starters on the DL and special teams who did not play, so they could heal up and deal with nagging injuries.  They should be at full strength by Saturday.

Going to need everyone we have. 

Graham by 4tds easily. Union will score but our defense will be hampered by a dream the defensive coordinator has the night before and runs 1 down lineman and drops 10 in coverage. Score will be somewhere like Graham 55 to 21. Or it could be worse.

28 minutes ago, UNION'S HAMMER said:

Graham by 4tds easily. Union will score but our defense will be hampered by a dream the defensive coordinator has the night before and runs 1 down lineman and drops 10 in coverage. Score will be somewhere like Graham 55 to 21. Or it could be worse.

72-12 Union.

2 hours ago, UNION'S HAMMER said:

Your right they where running a 1-1-9 defense during practice today.  So Graham should be focusing on a run game this week.  Also on offense Union will run a single wing offense with Lomax the QB.  So anyone on here from Graham please don't let the coaching staff no this 🙏

4 hours ago, goose111874 said:

Your right they where running a 1-1-9 defense during practice today.  So Graham should be focusing on a run game this week.  Also on offense Union will run a single wing offense with Lomax the QB.  So anyone on here from Graham please don't let the coaching staff no this 🙏

Graham has been practicing having 11 men on defense key on Lomax.