Train horn?????

Vol Hater

41 minutes ago, Bluefield researcher said:

You know I got to thinking. I suppose IF Union's band was there AND they were playing (most likely) AND I was not specific about which band I was asking (I don't remember my exact words) I could see how Union's band could misconstrue my intent. If that is the case then I apologize for not making my intent clear. For instance, if I said, "Will the band stop playing while Graham has the ball"?. Then who could be sure which band was being asked? Now if I said something like "Will our band", or "Will Graham's band" the it would have been clearer. 

From I can remember you did not come out and say “Could Unions band stop playing” but I do believe it was “Will the band stop playing” Union did have there band there and did play when Graham had the ball so that’s where I was wrong for assuming.

9 hours ago, SWVAgridiron said:

Yea he told them to not play when Graham had the ball. Other than after a touchdown or first down that’s the time the band should be playing is when the opposing team has the ball. 

Can a High school band be so loud that it disrupts a team on the field in Mitchell Stadium? I know it's possible with college bands in some stadiums, but I seriously doubt a high school band is that loud, especially in larger stadiums.  This comes from being in the Band back in the day and just hoping we were loud enough during the  halftime show for the fans in the bleachers to hear us.  I know it's common respect not to be playing when the opposing team is on offense, but the loud effect I don't buy.  Maybe only with two train horns blasting at one time. LOL

14 hours ago, Gridiron60 said:

Appo hates noise. 😂 They had someone come over in 2019 & tell our band to quit playing while Appo was on offense. I only know that because I was sitting on the end of the bleachers next to the band. 

It's actually a VHSL rule implemented about 3 or 4 years ago. Bands are not allowed to play while the opposing team has the football. There are a few minor exceptions, such as dead ball periods. But the game officials have the authority to flag the guilty school/team for unsportsmanlike conduct. 

14 hours ago, ghos88t said:

City of Champions?????  City of Whiny Wimps.  Champions don’t go crying and whining to get the VHSL to move playoff sites because they are afraid they are going to lose like Salem did to Grundy in 1996.  A true champion reaches down for that little extra to overcome an obstacle to be a winner. A wimp arse loser whines, complains, makes excuses, and tries to get things changed to their advantage or to disadvantage their opponent. 

As for City of Champions, you might ought to check out how many state championships Martinsville has in football and basketball and Grundy has in wrestling (20 plus). 

Hokiebird, after reading some of your rude comments to a couple of posters on this site, we have figured  you out and which of the above is the best fit for you. Uncle Percy says you need to change your handle to Arrogant Peacock.

Mr. GMan, Uncle Percy says to cash in all of his Mulligans if you think this is too bad or just go ahead and slam The Hammer.  

This is a football board so who cares about bball titles?

Sounds like you the one crying.

You are just hilarious...get other people to do stuff for you lol

9 minutes ago, Hokiebird7 said:

This is a football board so who cares about bball titles?

Sounds like you the one crying.

You are just hilarious...get other people to do stuff for you lol

Uncle Percy’s Peacock is on the strut.

They stopped a playoff game at William Campbell when GC played there in '94 and the ref walked all the way over to the sideline and told our band to stop playing. That was the first and only time i had ever seen that happen.

17 hours ago, SWVAgridiron said:

While I will say Appo may not like noise I was disappointed when I went to the first Graham/Union game this year and the PA announcer told Union’s band to stop playing 🥴 I’ve never heard an announcer say that. 

So, exactly who is Union fans more disgruntled with?  Travis Turner or @Bluefield researcher?  🤔

BR, you only got me mad one time last Saturday.  That was in the third quarter when you called Ridgeview, "Ridgewood".  That was a slap in the face to me, because at that very moment, upon calling us Ridgewood, I was wishing I was back home in Blountville and heading to Ridgewood barbecue instead of watching that tail kicking the Pack were taking.  😄 

35 minutes ago, swva_havok_fan said:

So, exactly who is Union fans more disgruntled with?  Travis Turner or @Bluefield researcher?  🤔

BR, you only got me mad one time last Saturday.  That was in the third quarter when you called Ridgeview, "Ridgewood".  That was a slap in the face to me, because at that very moment, upon calling us Ridgewood, I was wishing I was back home in Blountville and heading to Ridgewood barbecue instead of watching that tail kicking the Pack were taking.  😄 

Proof that we can steer any football post back to a restaurant.  

11 hours ago, Bluefield researcher said:

You know I got to thinking. I suppose IF Union's band was there AND they were playing (most likely) AND I was not specific about which band I was asking (I don't remember my exact words) I could see how Union's band could misconstrue my intent. If that is the case then I apologize for not making my intent clear. For instance, if I said, "Will the band stop playing while Graham has the ball"?. Then who could be sure which band was being asked? Now if I said something like "Will our band", or "Will Graham's band" the it would have been clearer. 

I assure you that Union’s band is not very loud. Not to criticize our band at all. But even when they had like 100-110 members their sound wasn’t big. But those are good kids and I have nothing but respect for their teacher. I always chuxkledw at how they’d play “Forget You” by CeeLo every time the opposing team scored. 

And I know you weren’t directing the request at Union’s band. You seem fairly classy to me. 

2 hours ago, swva_havok_fan said:

Wasn't a Union fan who brought it up about BR

13 hours ago, sixcat said:

It's actually a VHSL rule implemented about 3 or 4 years ago. Bands are not allowed to play while the opposing team has the football. There are a few minor exceptions, such as dead ball periods. But the game officials have the authority to flag the guilty school/team for unsportsmanlike conduct. 

One of the dumbest rules ever created by the VHSL and that's saying something.    I hate it, and most officials won't enforce it unless the opponent complains.  Teams and their bands add to the atmosphere.  They should play as often as they want.

5 hours ago, swva_havok_fan said:

Ah, but your train horn buddy did suggest that BR might have influenced officials a couple of weeks ago...

Don't have a clue about that but I know there was a couple Ridgeview fans blame Unions PA guy on the loss.  Not arguing with you every team has a couple of THOSE fans 

2 hours ago, goose111874 said:

Don't have a clue about that but I know there was a couple Ridgeview fans blame Unions PA guy on the loss.  Not arguing with you every team has a couple of THOSE fans 

I have to admit the PA thing was kinda funny when I first read that. 

7 hours ago, swva_havok_fan said:

Ah, but your train horn buddy did suggest that BR might have influenced officials a couple of weeks ago...

I don’t think BR had any influence on the outcome of that game, lol. But if he could do some heavy duty influencing tomorrow that would be great 👍😂! Just kidding, he’s a great PA announcer and very fair. I admit he does say first down for GMen with a little more excitement than when it’s a first down for the opposing team but I’m okay with that. I hope he’s not saying “first down” Raiders very often tomorrow but first down repeatedly for GMen!!! 🤞🤞🤞

19 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

I don’t think BR had any influence on the outcome of that game, lol. But if he could do some heavy duty influencing tomorrow that would be great 👍😂! Just kidding, he’s a great PA announcer and very fair. I admit he does say first down for GMen with a little more excitement than when it’s a first down for the opposing team but I’m okay with that. I hope he’s not saying “first down” Raiders very often tomorrow but first down repeatedly for GMen!!! 🤞🤞🤞

I don't see why anyone gets mad when the home teams PA announcer roots for his team.  Same for radio announcers yes they're annoying but they should be rooting for their local team

On 12/3/2021 at 4:56 PM, goose111874 said:

That is funny.  Noone can even hear that guy to understand what he's even saying.  😄