Scrimmages/Benefit games

redtiger

1 minute ago, Austrian Ben Shapiro said:

Looks like the Blues will be lucky to go 2-8 at this point. He who shall not be named is rolling over in his self-dug grave. 

I don't know about the Blues (haven't seen em this year) or Grundy, but it sounds like from what I've read on here about how Richlands has looked so far, that Gate City beating them this year probably won't be considered an upset (if GC does beat em).

2 minutes ago, Austrian Ben Shapiro said:

Looks like the Blues will be lucky to go 2-8 at this point. He who shall not be named is rolling over in his self-dug grave. 

I feel for them, but as the saying goes, they’ve had enough “good years”. It’s someone else’s turn. That being said, the G-Men are showing up, and showing out. I remember when graham had all those down years, now look at them! I’m a bleed green guy, go dawgs all the way. But I love seeing the G-Men do so well. I root for all SWD teams as long as they ain’t playing the dawgs, but just seeing how far Graham has came is awesome. 

1 minute ago, bulldog05-CO2017 said:

I feel for them, but as the saying goes, they’ve had enough “good years”. It’s someone else’s turn. That being said, the G-Men are showing up, and showing out. I remember when graham had all those down years, now look at them! I’m a bleed green guy, go dawgs all the way. But I love seeing the G-Men do so well. I root for all SWD teams as long as they ain’t playing the dawgs, but just seeing how far Graham has came is awesome. 

I cheer for our county rivals unless they’re playing the GMen! If it’s the Dawgs & Blues, I usually pull for the Dawgs. I have relatives in Tazewell, lol! 

43 minutes ago, Hard Hitter said:

and...... sounds like the one position they need is qb, anyone who throws to pick 6's well cant be good 

Yep, EC Glass has a week QB since he throws pick 6's against a secondary in Graham that evidently has no speed.  

George White, the QB for EC Glass, committed to D1 William and Mary 20 days ago.

Very excited to announce my commitment to play football at The College of William and Mary ! A huge thank you to my family for putting me in this position.

3 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

Graham 21 EC Glass 21

(Graham’s starters score 3 times on EC Glass starters) 

(EC Glass 2nd & 3rd string scored on Graham’s) 

2 minutes left. 

That would be the difference between a 4A team and a 2A team...

Blues are a work in progress. Still had 3 OL/DL out tonight (two should be back for GC next week) and our best WR. 
This is a team that has 2 players who have taken meaningful varsity snaps before. So it’s gonna gonna take a while. 
Unfortunately they lost their starting MLB tonight and it looks like it may be a season ended. 

I could see a season similar to last year. But if they have some injuries with the most difficult schedule in SWVA, could be a long season.  

Just now, Ryan4VT said:

Blues are a work in progress. Still had 3 OL/DL out tonight (two should be back for GC next week) and our best WR. 
This is a team that has 2 players who have taken meaningful varsity snaps before. So it’s gonna gonna take a while. 
Unfortunately they lost their starting MLB tonight and it looks like it may be a season ended. 

I could see a season similar to last year. But if they have some injuries with the most difficult schedule in SWVA, could be a long season.  

Grundy will be just fine in Class 1 this year. They’re a playoff team as long as they stay healthy. Not much depth, though. 

1 minute ago, Ryan4VT said:

Hope it’s not a season ending injury. I hate to see any player get hurt. 🙏 The Blues are in capable hands in Coach Tarter. This may or may not be their season but give him some time. He’s a great one to have at the helm. 

13 minutes ago, BBHoops_18 said:

Glass's second and third stringers are obviously going to be better than Graham's backups. Graham's starters can hang with the best of them but the depth of 4-6A schools is what sets them apart.

It's an example of how one major key injury or even two can sink the ship of a great Class 1 or 2 football program regarding region title games, semifinal, or state final games.  The "depth exposure" isn't as pronounced at the larger schools, but it is absolutely exposed at the lower Classes like 1, or 2, and even 3 when one or two key injuries occurs.  The team can radically transform from elite or great down to "very good." 

Did anyone go to the Graham/EC Glass game? I only know what I read on that “other” site. 😂 I was wanting to hear from an area person that went to get their firsthand insights. It sounded like talent wasn’t the issue but EC Glass just playing undisciplined & Graham showing up to play ball. Defense seems to be strong & obviously GMen have speed even though “some” want to debate that, lol. 

Glass has a lot of big boys. I thought Graham starters looked better this week especially the offense. I worry about Meadows having to play QB and LB but feel like he is needed there. I know a lot of people on here are big on the Isabel kid and I’m just not seeing it. He looks confused on a lot of plays. He looked much better when he played OLB last year. I’m not sure who #23 is but he is very talented. Graham needs to find another RB that can get some yards. Overall, Graham looks very solid but still needs to fine tune some things. 

59 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

I hate to hear that. I hate to see any athlete get hurt, it’s heartbreaking and hurts physically and mentally. Good luck. 

1 hour ago, FootballFan77 said:

Glass has a lot of big boys. I thought Graham starters looked better this week especially the offense. I worry about Meadows having to play QB and LB but feel like he is needed there. I know a lot of people on here are big on the Isabel kid and I’m just not seeing it. He looks confused on a lot of plays. He looked much better when he played OLB last year. I’m not sure who #23 is but he is very talented. Graham needs to find another RB that can get some yards. Overall, Graham looks very solid but still needs to fine tune some things. 

# 23 is listed as Daniel Jennings on hudl (freshman).

11 hours ago, Gridiron60 said:

Did anyone go to the Graham/EC Glass game? I only know what I read on that “other” site. 😂 I was wanting to hear from an area person that went to get their firsthand insights. It sounded like talent wasn’t the issue but EC Glass just playing undisciplined & Graham showing up to play ball. Defense seems to be strong & obviously GMen have speed even though “some” want to debate that, lol. 

Was at the game. Glass was undisciplined but they are stacked with athletes and size. Watkins played well on the corner with two pick 6’s. Not sure what he runs the 40 in? Lol . Way to much stock on camp times. Football acumen is to understated. I doubt Graham faces a team at any point this year with those athletes. QB can spin it, first pick was wrong route by receiver, 2nd was tipped. 

Tonight (Friday night the 19th), a few scrimmages that are LISTED on NFHS.  I don't know about schedule changes, additions, fill in's, etc.  This is what NFHS says....

Gate City vs Va High

Christiansburg vs Giles

Chilhowie vs Tazewell  

Holston vs ?  Not sure who it is. Honaker, I think.

Marion vs Ft. Chiswell

Galax vs Hedgesville, WV (Hedgesville left for this trip 2 days ago, so they should make it right in time for kickoff barring traffic) kidding of course

Riverheads vs Greenbrier East (G.East isn't bad.  Finished 8-2 last year and was 8th seed in WV AAA playoffs and returns a ton of starters and seniors).  

Rural Retreat vs Castlewood

Twin Springs vs ?

Thomas Walker vs Lee.  Why is this a scrimmage game and the two teams not playing in regular season?  Borderline insanity to me imo.

26 minutes ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Tonight (Friday night the 19th), a few scrimmages that are LISTED on NFHS.  I don't know about schedule changes, additions, fill in's, etc.  This is what NFHS says....

Gate City vs Va High

Christiansburg vs Giles

Chilhowie vs Tazewell  

Holston vs ?  Not sure who it is. Honaker, I think.

Marion vs Ft. Chiswell

Galax vs Hedgesville, WV (Hedgesville left for this trip 2 days ago, so they should make it right in time for kickoff barring traffic) kidding of course

Riverheads vs Greenbrier East (G.East isn't bad.  Finished 8-2 last year and was 8th seed in WV AAA playoffs and returns a ton of starters and seniors).  

Rural Retreat vs Castlewood

Twin Springs vs ?

Thomas Walker vs Lee.  Why is this a scrimmage game and the two teams not playing in regular season?  Borderline insanity to me imo.

I believe that Twin Springs will be in a jamboree with Lebanon and Rye Cove.

Battle, Wise Central, Burton, and PH will be in Norton.

22 minutes ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

I would say for the same reason Northwood took Marion off the schedule a few years back and will most likely be off next season. Lee being a larger class 2 school and Thomas Walker being a smaller class 1 school does not really help either school to play each other. Lee should win 9 out of 10 years and Thomas Walker might walk away with enough injuries to screw the rest of the season. They have played 8 times and Lee has won all of them by an average score of 42-11. It really does not benefit either team to play in the regular season.