Graham Vs Tazewell

bulldog05-CO2017

27 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

I think he insinuated Tazewell is going to sweep the SWD by smashing every other team thus possibly being on the RV level???? 🤷🏻‍♂️

lololol if they are even competitive w Graham I'll be surprised. Beating VHS proves nothing. 

7 hours ago, BigWinners said:

lololol if they are even competitive w Graham I'll be surprised. Beating VHS proves nothing. 

I love how the narrative shifts from “Virginia High’s going to beat Tazewell” to “Beating Virginia High by 25 proves nothing.”  Y’all are a riot. 

I’d be very surprised if Graham blows Tazewell out.  No SWD team in the last 2 seasons has played Graham closer than Tazewell has.  Again, Graham should be objectively favored in any game they play until proven otherwise, but this Tazewell team has each and every tool to give this Graham team an unpleasant time.  Will it translate into a win?  Join me at 6:30 PM on Friday night to find out.

10 hours ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Holy smokes man, thanks for that info.  My wife and I have headed to the General Store at Burkes Garden 3 times in the past year.  We buy some Amish goods and I love their burgers.  The Amish folks are always nice and interesting to talk to.  The sandwiches are good.  I had not idea about a buffet, but that works out dang near perfect being a 4pm start.  Much appreciated Stu_bean.  

I'll be there about 4:30 by the time I can make it there.  If you see someone in a more classic Dawgs shirt, that would be me.

On 8/28/2022 at 11:04 AM, GMan said:

Honestly, I think this is the year that Tazewell finally punches every other SWD team in the face, that includes you too Richlands.  I think they will beat Graham in a close game, and win the district.

Slow down there Lou Holtz lol

On 8/28/2022 at 10:50 AM, UVAObserver said:

Graham would be well advised to bring that “real defense”, whatever the Hell that means, to the second half of their games.  Graham looked impenetrable in the first half, and looked very beatable in the second.  That tends to happen at times when your starters haven’t played deep into the 2nd half for most of their careers.

You're going to see that real defense this week. All you'll have to talk about is how the hot dogs taste.

4 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

I love how the narrative shifts from “Virginia High’s going to beat Tazewell” to “Beating Virginia High by 25 proves nothing.”  Y’all are a riot. 

I’d be very surprised if Graham blows Tazewell out.  No SWD team in the last 2 seasons has played Graham closer than Tazewell has.  Again, Graham should be objectively favored in any game they play until proven otherwise, but this Tazewell team has each and every tool to give this Graham team an unpleasant time.  Will it translate into a win?  Join me at 6:30 PM on Friday night to find 

Excuses translation.......loaded Tazewell team loses on home field to very young Graham team they should've beat by 3 tds. Same old tazewell.

This thread is turning into great entertainment! My two cents in a nutshell.

Tazewell’s defense has to stop Graham’s running game.

Graham’s defense has to stop Tazewell’s passing game. 

This will come down to lineplay on both sides of the ball. 

My contention has been: Graham’s defense is ahead of where they were at this point in previous seasons. We will see if Tazewell D can out play them. I’m not handing Graham the automatic win but I do give them the advantage merely because of their defense. They held Hairston to under 20 yards rushing. That’s big! 

5 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

My contention has been: Graham’s defense is ahead of where they were at this point in previous seasons. We will see if Tazewell D can out play them. I’m not handing Graham the automatic win but I do give them the advantage merely because of their defense. They held Hairston to under 20 yards rushing. That’s big! 

Agreed. When Graham has been beaten the last couple of years it’s been because the other team was more physical with better line play. The only time Tazewell has came close was during the Covid year. Tazewell had a senior heavy OL and Graham had four sophomores starting. Funny enough those  sophomores will be starting as Seniors this year. If Bluefield couldn’t run on Graham, I just don’t see Tazewell doing it. As far as throwing the ball, that’s an iffy prospect as well. Who is the last team, to be beat Graham throwing the football. Ridgeview only put up 14 points on Grahams starters last year and their QB was under constant pressure. I ain’t saying Graham can’t lose this game, they could have a ton of penalties and turnovers. However, I think the more likely scenario will be the Clements kid with +150 yards of rushing and Tazewell’s starters with around 200 yards of total offense. If the game plan for Tazewell is to drop back and pass the ball 20-30 times, their QB is going to take a beating.

6 minutes ago, Gfan said:

Agreed. When Graham has been beaten the last couple of years it’s been because the other team was more physical with better line play. The only time Tazewell has came close was during the Covid year. Tazewell had a senior heavy OL and Graham had four sophomores starting. Funny enough those  sophomores will be starting as Seniors this year. If Bluefield couldn’t run on Graham, I just don’t see Tazewell doing it. As far as throwing the ball, that’s an iffy prospect as well. Who is the last team, to be beat Graham throwing the football. Ridgeview only put up 14 points on Grahams starters last year and their QB was under constant pressure. I ain’t saying Graham can’t lose this game, they could have a ton of penalties and turnovers. However, I think the more likely scenario will be the Clements kid with +150 yards of rushing and Tazewell’s starters with around 200 yards of total offense. If the game plan for Tazewell is to drop back and pass the ball 20-30 times, their QB is going to take a beating.

That was also with a couple of very talented people on defense that helped shutdown the passing of Ridgeview.

6 minutes ago, Gfan said:

I don't know. Graham's starters usually only play a half. A tough team such as tazewell might just sling it all around the yard.

It'll be decided in the trenches and the most physical team will win. I'd love to see Tazewell win, but I don't think they will be able to out muscle the G-Men for 4 quarters. Graham's front 7 will eventually get pressure on Creasy so the D-backs just need to keep the receivers in front of them. The dogs do have a man child at running back who runs hard and straight. VHigh's D started to avoid heavy contact after the first half. Both teams have tremendous athletes and it'll be fun to watch the individual match ups. There are a lot of unknowns in this game that may be a factor, but I trust what I see, and I see Graham winning by at least 2 TD's.

54 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

That’s a perfectly reasonable take, and I appreciate your input.  Unlike some of your less intelligent compadres, you see the strengths and weaknesses well.  I believe Graham should be favored, because of precisely the advantage you cite: big, strong linemen that can exert their will over 48 minutes of play.  Line play wins at all levels of the sport.

But unless you predict scores like “Graham - 84, Tazewell - 0”, it’s not going to be enough for the more dimwitted among us.

I do not discuss Xs and Os with Tazewell’s coaches at all.  If I did, I’d be absolutely mum on the subject.  That being said, if Palmer gets cute and has Meadows throw 20-25 passes, it’ll end poorly for Graham.  If Harris uses Taylor like a battering ram with 15+ carries, that’ll end poorly for Tazewell.  

I’ve watched a fair amount of film on Graham.  The run D, yes, light years ahead of even last season.  The pass D, I don’t agree.  There are pretty glaring weaknesses that a good QB and sound WRs have the potential to eat up…and they’re things that can’t be fixed very well in real time.  And that’s where the differential in the lines can be neutralized to a degree.  Tazewell’s line doesn’t need to bulldoze Graham’s line; it just needs to give Creasy 3-4 seconds to make reads and deliver the ball.  

It’s going to be a fantastic chess match to watch in real time.  

16 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

The run D, yes, light years ahead of even last season.  The pass D, I don’t agree.  T

It’s going to be a fantastic chess match to watch in real time.  

I don’t discuss x’s & o’s with Graham’s coaches either just a diehard fan but I guarantee Rex & Snake will be fine tuning that pass defense this week. If anyone can get them ready for Creasy & company and Tazewell’s passing game,it’s them.  They will have them prepared and definitely not taking Tazewell lightly. I think Tony & other Graham coaches know, no game is a given and they don’t let the boys think that it is. 

Chess match is a great analogy. Hopefully, at the end of the night, Tony Palmer can say “checkmate”. 😉

Graham didn’t stop Bluefield’s running game by brute force.  Graham had great LOS pursuit speed and disguised athleticism that is hard for high school teams to match.  They could plain out shed blocks and fly through gaps.  Bluefield had their chances to win through the air.  If Tazewell capitalizes on the same opportunities, who knows.  I honestly think the first thing they have to do is get over being Tazewell.   A win against the G-Men right now could do just that.