Union @ Richlands

UnionGuy2017

2 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

If youve ever been to Ernie Hicks in the last several decades, you know the voice that comes through the PA system. Tonight will be Slick Cook’s final night on the mic for Richlands as he retires and hands the PA mic over to Jeff Hurst (who does the basketball PA duties). 

Slicks voice, to me, IS Richlands Football. Excited to get to hear him one final time tonight. 

Voice of the stadium can be just as iconic (good or bad) as anything else for that team

I haven't been to Ernie Hicks in 30 years or more, but I can still remember the announcer like it was yesterday.  I don't know if it was Slick Cook back then, but that person NEVER stopped talking for the entire game. He did play-by-play, color commentary, concession stand reviews, promotions, or just talked about whatever else was on his mind for three straight hours. He was just as entertaining as the game. Anyway, I wish the best to Mr. Cook on his retirement.

1 hour ago, Liam McPoyle said:

I haven't been to Ernie Hicks in 30 years or more, but I can still remember the announcer like it was yesterday.  I don't know if it was Slick Cook back then, but that person NEVER stopped talking for the entire game. He did play-by-play, color commentary, concession stand reviews, promotions, or just talked about whatever else was on his mind for three straight hours. He was just as entertaining as the game. Anyway, I wish the best to Mr. Cook on his retirement.

That’s Slick! He’s been doing PA for Richlands football for 52 years. 

As bad as the Blues looked tonight they can still finish 2nd in this district. There’s not a whole lot separating the likes of Richlands, Tazewell, Marion, and Virginia, but there is a huge gulf between those four and the Federales. 

RL has the toughest schedule in SWVA and that benefitted them last year when they nearly upset Ridgeview. I see Richlands being 1-5 against Tazewell. That game will decide the rest of their season. 

I also don’t know how much of this you can put on Tarter. I think the talent pool has been drying up in Richlands for a while, Mance saw the writing on the wall and fled to save his own reputation. 
I don’t know how many coaches could do a better job with the talent the Blues have. Tarter wins the games he should win, in his tenure I think the Blues have won every game they should have and outside of tonight, Graham, Abingdon, and Ridgeview (rs) they’ve played better than expected in games where they’re underdogs. 

I love this Union team, so fun to watch and so much to grow. Unions running backs are extremely physical and block very well for one another. Anderson the QB had an amazing night. I haven’t seen the box score but of the 24 minutes played in the first half I feel like Union had to have the ball for 18-19 of them?

1 minute ago, UnionGuy2017 said:

I love this Union team, so fun to watch and so much to grow. Unions running backs are extremely physical and block very well for one another. Anderson the QB had an amazing night. I haven’t seen the box score but of the 24 minutes played in the first half I feel like Union had to have the ball for 18-19 of them?

I really would like to see us work more on the passing game before the graham game. As for Richlands,I have nothing but respect for that proud tradition-rich program,but tonight was embarrassing. Zero energy from the players as well as fans. This should have been a get-up game, I have never seen things like that there:(

27 minutes ago, UnionGuy2017 said:

Like this team too but zero passing game will be the undoing for them

3 minutes ago, goose111874 said:

Yeah there either really bad or Union is really good

Union is good. I never understood why everyone was so quick to anoint Ridgeview the top of the M7 this year. Union doesn’t just get bad because they graduated a couple guys. The coaching and the system they have in place will keep them at the top of region D every year. 

6 minutes ago, goose111874 said:

Yeah there either really bad or Union is really good

Union is a 2D elite and Richlands is not. It is what it is. I expected Richlands to have a little more fight and pride — but ultimately figured a decisive win was coming for the Bears.