Week 7 Scores/Updates

SWVAgridiron

1 minute ago, UVAObserver said:

Would have added an emoji if I could.  The community loves to celebrate its successes, regardless if Richlands is 1-6.  There is genuine love and civic pride there, and that’s very special.  Parade away!  We’re only here for a little while, may as well have a grand ole time.

I agree. Let those kids and their friends and family celebrate.  This is what a true rivalry should be like.  Celebrate beating your rival.  Enjoy this win Bulldogs!! 

3 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

Would have added an emoji if I could.  The community loves to celebrate its successes, regardless if Richlands is 1-6.  There is genuine love and civic pride there, and that’s very special.  Parade away!  We’re only here for a little while, may as well have a grand ole time.

Having school pride and needing parades for beating 1-6 teams are not intrinsically linked lol. 

James Monroe, WV, with a big win over Greenbrier West last night.  This game was supposed to be very close with slight edge going to Greenbrier West, but that didn't happen.  James Monroe won it 27-0 over previously unbeaten Greenbrier West who came into the contest at 6-0.  James Monroe moves to 6-0 on the season and undefeated.  Both teams have played a very, very weak schedule.  I wouldn't think James Monroe, AA, would be much of a matchup for teams like Independence and Fairmont Sr in WV AA ball, but as good as Independence High is in AA West Virginia, Calpreps only has it 31-20 in favor of Independence over James Monroe. 

9 hours ago, Real Sasquatch said:

I agree. Let those kids and their friends and family celebrate.  This is what a true rivalry should be like.  Celebrate beating your rival.  Enjoy this win Bulldogs!! 

Tazewell was down for so long I'm glad to see some energy and excitement in their program. Any time you beat your county rival it's a big deal.  At what point does the t-shirts, parades, and regular season trophies become too much? BTW the James Ramey trophy got "gang banged" on the bus going down Main St. last night. Not a good look on social media. 

1 hour ago, Mountain Football said:

Tazewell was down for so long I'm glad to see some energy and excitement in their program. Any time you beat your county rival it's a big deal.  At what point does the t-shirts, parades, and regular season trophies become too much? BTW the James Ramey trophy got "gang banged" on the bus going down Main St. last night. Not a good look on social media. 

As a Graham fan are you sure you want to bring up videos that were posted on social media yesterday 🙊

4 hours ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

James Monroe, WV, with a big win over Greenbrier West last night.  This game was supposed to be very close with slight edge going to Greenbrier West, but that didn't happen.  James Monroe won it 27-0 over previously unbeaten Greenbrier West who came into the contest at 6-0.  James Monroe moves to 6-0 on the season and undefeated.  Both teams have played a very, very weak schedule.  I wouldn't think James Monroe, AA, would be much of a matchup for teams like Independence and Fairmont Sr in WV AA ball, but as good as Independence High is in AA West Virginia, Calpreps only has it 31-20 in favor of Independence over James Monroe. 

James Monroe dropped to class A.

WV Metronews had Greenbrier West ranked #3 in class A in the state of WV & James Monroe shut them out last night. Good chance at least the first two weeks of the playoffs will be played in Lindside. Not sure if they can play with Wheeling Central or Dodridge if they make it that far.

21 minutes ago, EH31 said:

James Monroe dropped to class A.

WV Metronews had Greenbrier West ranked #3 in class A in the state of WV & James Monroe shut them out last night. Good chance at least the first two weeks of the playoffs will be played in Lindside. Not sure if they can play with Wheeling Central or Dodridge if they make it that far.

James Monroe is now the #2 ranked team in the official rankings.

3 hours ago, Mountain Football said:

At what point does…. regular season trophies become too much? 

Graham plays for 2 regular season trophies. Is 2 trophies the acceptable number?

Should we call the Ramey family or the Back of the Dragon folks to tell them one of them is out?

10 minutes ago, EH31 said:

Graham plays for 2 regular season trophies. Is 2 trophies the acceptable number?

Should we call the Ramey family or the Back of the Dragon folks to tell them one of them is out?

In reality, the only trophy that's acceptable is the one they give away on the last game of the season. 

If you aren't playing for that, nothing else matters...

36 minutes ago, EH31 said:

Yes and Mr. James C. Ramey was a huge part of the Tazewell and Richlands Community.  He was greatly respected.  How many rivalries across the country have trophies associated with them? Too many to count.  You want to call this game the "BackYard Brawl" and associate some meaning to it, there should be a trophy......good grief, people just need to get over it and don't worry about what other teams do.  Richlands gets this trophy when they win too, yet nobody gives them a hard time over it.  If you don't like it, at least quit being Karens about it.

5 minutes ago, Real Sasquatch said:

Yes and Mr. James C. Ramey was a huge part of the Tazewell and Richlands Community.  He was greatly respected.  How many rivalries across the country have trophies associated with them? Too many to count.  

I understand he was a huge part in both communities. I also understand it's pretty hard to hand a trophy back and say you don't want it. I'm a jerk but I understand where you are coming from. My question is at what point does it all become so much that kids lose focus on what should be the ultimate goal? Whether it's Tazewell, Graham, Union, etc. 

Just now, Mountain Football said:

I understand he was a huge part in both communities. I also understand it's pretty hard to hand a trophy back and say you don't want it. I'm a jerk but I understand where you are coming from. My question is at what point does it all become so much that kids lose focus on what should be the ultimate goal? Whether it's Tazewell, Graham, Union, etc. 

That's the question of the century.  I'm sure that answer would vary greatly.  But I do see your point, that too many trophies could lessen their meaning.

1 hour ago, Mountain Football said:

I get what you’re saying, but let’s be honest about it - how many years are SWVA teams really playing for a state championship? Obviously Graham has made it a couple times in the last few years but they’ve had once in 20 year type athletes on those teams. Other than that Union threatened once or so but that’s it. 

And it’s not like this is something new. Rivals have been playing for things other than bragging rights for years. People in McDowell county will still talk you about the Welch vs. Gary games where they played for the “Barrel” for 40 years. They haven’t played that game since around 1978(?) but it obviously it meant a lot to those two communities if the conversation is continuing in 2022. 

Lebanon and Honaker play for the Coal Bowl trophy.
Graham and Bluefield play for the Great American Rivalry trophy (and hats). 
Patrick Henry (not glade spring) plays for the Tomato Bowl.
Appomattox plays for the “Axe” against Buckingham. 

Only 1 team Per division can be state champs. Nothing wrong in my opinion with giving some of the other teams something to look forward to during the season. 

I will say, I wish some of the teams played for something other than trophies. Back of the dragon is missing a good opportunity to make Tazewell & Marion play for a barrel or a keg to silently promote the brewery lol 

5 minutes ago, EH31 said:

I get what you’re saying, but let’s be honest about it - how many years are SWVA teams really playing for a state championship? Obviously Graham has made it a couple times in the last few years but they’ve had once in 20 year type athletes on those teams. Other than that Union threatened once or so but that’s it. 

And it’s not like this is something new. Rivals have been playing for things other than bragging rights for years. People in McDowell county will still talk you about the Welch vs. Gary games where they played for the “Barrel” for 40 years. They haven’t played that game since around 1978(?) but it obviously it meant a lot to those two communities if the conversation is continuing in 2022. 

Lebanon and Honaker play for the Coal Bowl trophy.
Graham and Bluefield play for the Great American Rivalry trophy (and hats). 
Patrick Henry (not glade spring) plays for the Tomato Bowl.
Appomattox plays for the “Axe” against Buckingham. 

Only 1 team Per division can be state champs. Nothing wrong in my opinion with giving some of the other teams something to look forward to during the season. 

I will say, I wish some of the teams played for something other than trophies. Back of the dragon is missing a good opportunity to make Tazewell & Marion play for a barrel or a keg to silently promote the brewery lol 

Valid points. You proved I'm old and narrow minded.😂😂

2 hours ago, Real Sasquatch said:

Richlands gets this trophy when they win too, yet nobody gives them a hard time over it.  If you don't like it, at least quit being Karens about it.

Yeah, but we don’t throw parades when we beat 1-9 Tazewell teams. 😉

37 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

Yeah, but we don’t throw parades when we beat 1-9 Tazewell teams. 😉

Well, maybe you should because Tazewell has won 2 of the last 3 against Richlands and the loss was by 1 point on a questionable call.  Bulldogs are focused on the present and future, not the past.

What’s it matter that a team gets a trophy for some game? Tennessee and Kentucky used to have Battle for the Barrel. 

Let a team enjoy their win. But I will say that a parade is a little much for winning a game that isn’t the state championship. 

In my opinion, doesn’t matter to me if teams want a parade or trophy for games, players, etc. I believe that if the community is involved and wants to promote or celebrate these wins then so be it. I highly doubt any HC would ask for the town for a parade. As long as they community wants it then go for it, let the players, cheerleaders, band and everyone else involved enjoy it. Like someone stated earlier, enjoy now and let the past be the past.

33 minutes ago, BlueDevilVolMan said:

What’s it matter that a team gets a trophy for some game? Tennessee and Kentucky used to have Battle for the Barrel. 

Let a team enjoy their win. But I will say that a parade is a little much for winning a game that isn’t the state championship. 

This. I’m all for trophies (except that ugly ass Back of the Dragon trophy, but that’s entirely because it’s ugly as sin). But parades for regular season wins? Nah. 

4 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

This. I’m all for trophies (except that ugly ass Back of the Dragon trophy, but that’s entirely because it’s ugly as sin). But parades for regular season wins? Nah. 

Only time anyone should have a parade for a football game is homecoming or state championship.  The trophies for rivalry games I could care less if they have those or not if the kids like it keep doing it 

2 hours ago, EH31 said:

Back of the dragon is missing a good opportunity to make Tazewell & Marion play for a barrel or a keg to silently promote the brewery lol 

Two local high schools promote social drinking before navigating a 30 mile mountainous road. What could possibly go wrong?

• GMan locked this topic