Transfer Portal

UnionGuy2017

10 hours ago, Real Sasquatch said:

Here we go again....  First the Graham Haters, next up the Tazewell bashers.

Well.....when your official color is Kelly Green yet the mascot is a Bulldog and some of the fanbase operate straight out of the Tennessee Vol football handbook: Chapter 1: "This is our year! We're back!".....😜

As for Graham, I don't mind the program simply because they put in the work....always have going back to the Carlock days.  They do have a lot of fans that say "We" when they've never laced them up......but that is a petty pet-peeve that I have about a lot of fans.  

I played against both teams back when they were both good and Tazewell was always the more mouthy of the two....but it was all good fun.

13 hours ago, Mountain Football said:

Football is officially back.

Hey @BandanaVTDavis4321 did the guy that was on here in the fall talking trash about the strength and conditioning at Giles get them lined out in the offseason?

LMAO.  Yes, he got em fixed up and he was so "genius" that he has been named the New Head Coach at Giles High.  I'm sure glad we have him!  LOL.  It seems like every school has 1 or 2 of em, and there's just no getting rid of em.  

3 hours ago, SwvaOG said:

Well.....when your official color is Kelly Green yet the mascot is a Bulldog and some of the fanbase operate straight out of the Tennessee Vol football handbook: Chapter 1: "This is our year! We're back!".....😜

As for Graham, I don't mind the program simply because they put in the work....always have going back to the Carlock days.  They do have a lot of fans that say "We" when they've never laced them up......but that is a petty pet-peeve that I have about a lot of fans.  

I played against both teams back when they were both good and Tazewell was always the more mouthy of the two....but it was all good fun.

Carlock had a "stupid" good work ethic.  Not many could parallel him back in the day regarding Graham's strength and conditioning program.  This is the primary characteristic of Carlock that stood out most to me about him as a Head Coach.  There were tons of good qualities as there is for all the great one's, but where Carlock was very unique imo.....Graham was doing strength and conditioning stuff in the 80's that most programs didn't really start doing until after the turn of the century.  You could see it back then with those Graham teams.  Lose or win, you couldn't push em around up front.  Brutal Strength across the Board.  I think this is reflective in Palmer who was a Carlock Disciple (not as a coach, but player).  Tony knew the emphases of the stuff in the weight room and preparation off the field and the value of that installed in him from age 15 playing for Carlock.

Enough about Graham.  Can we bash Tazewell next?  After Tazewell, I want to get some of the Union fans (usually 2 of them, just like we have at Giles) that can come on here and bash the Bears and how bad the Head Coach is offensively and why he should be fired.  After Union, I vote for Richlands to be bashed!!!!!  LOL.  We will have time to get to Giles.  The two "tools" from Pembroke will be back in due time I'm certain, well....1 will be back.  I think one of the G'man's last hammer drops was on one of the dudes from Giles.  

3 hours ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Carlock had a "stupid" good work ethic.  Not many could parallel him back in the day regarding Graham's strength and conditioning program.  This is the primary characteristic of Carlock that stood out most to me about him as a Head Coach.  There were tons of good qualities as there is for all the great one's, but where Carlock was very unique imo.....Graham was doing strength and conditioning stuff in the 80's that most programs didn't really start doing until after the turn of the century.  You could see it back then with those Graham teams.  Lose or win, you couldn't push em around up front.  Brutal Strength across the Board.  I think this is reflective in Palmer who was a Carlock Disciple (not as a coach, but player).  Tony knew the emphases of the stuff in the weight room and preparation off the field and the value of that installed in him from age 15 playing for Carlock.

Enough about Graham.  Can we bash Tazewell next?  After Tazewell, I want to get some of the Union fans (usually 2 of them, just like we have at Giles) that can come on here and bash the Bears and how bad the Head Coach is offensively and why he should be fired.  After Union, I vote for Richlands to be bashed!!!!!  LOL.  We will have time to get to Giles.  The two "tools" from Pembroke will be back in due time I'm certain, well....1 will be back.  I think one of the G'man's last hammer drops was on one of the dudes from Giles.  

The Bruce Evans era at Richlands stood toe to toe with Carlock.  Evans was a Marine combat veteran as was Carlock.  My brother and I played for Coach Evans and his strength and conditioning program took a back seat to no one in SWVA.  He had a damn serious disposition and suffered no shit....plus I would argue was a touch bat-shit crazy....had that 1000 yard, been living in the bush stare to him.   We had mandatory lifting at 5:45am before school and we trained hard.  We lived right on the Tazewell/Richlands border so we were getting up around 5:00am to get there on time.  We had weekly playbook assignments that were handed out on Mondays and due Wed afternoon and they were graded by Coach Evans.  In my opinion they have to get back to that type of training and attitude. 

Go to the Graham video vault and watch the 84-87 games between the two teams.  Brutal slug fests.  Richlands ran the Wishbone and pounded down team's throats but always seemed to average 3-4 turn-overs a game.  Those Evans teams had some bad dudes and their mantra was "We may not beat you on the scoreboard....but we'll beat your ass." 😆.  The SWD in those days was pretty rough.  

To echo OG, during the Vaught and Mance eras, I think Richlands was consistently as strong or stronger on the lines more often than not. When Graham was successful it was primarily due to a speed advantage. That said the weight room work was certainly evident. To me, the main difference in appearance was that the G-men loved wearing those neck rolls to make them look bigger.

Edited by tornado99
Wording

2 hours ago, tornado99 said:

To echo OG, during the Vaught and Mance eras, I think Richlands was consistently as strong or stronger on the lines more often than not. When Graham was successful it was primarily due to a speed advantage. That said the weight room work was certainly evident. To me, the main difference in appearance was that the G-men loved wearing those neck rolls to make them look bigger.

Every damn one of them.  Lol.  I always thought the whole team looked like they were 5'10, 220lb.  

• 2 months later...

7 hours ago, UnionGuy2017 said:

So, what happened here?  If this kid is good enough to start at DB surely he could start at Union?  The Anderson kid is a slot/RB waiting to happen.  
What is the story?

2 minutes ago, SwvaOG said:

So, what happened here?  If this kid is good enough to start at DB surely he could start at Union?  The Anderson kid is a slot/RB waiting to happen.  
What is the story?

I’m sure everyone has their version, but I’ll offer mine. 

He has blossomed into an absolute STUD at DB, it looks like he has an extremely bright future and who knows how high he will go. FCS and up maybe??

At Union, his arm talent was always elite. It was 2nd to none. Obviously I’m not at practice so I can’t critique every moment. With that being said, when he got varsity action at the U, you never really saw what he’s showing now. It wasn’t crisp. Maybe that was due to playing time and not getting first team reps. Heck, maybe DB can just develop QB’s that way. I don’t know. 

Either way, I’m SO happy and so proud of him for keeping his head down and working, and proving us (particularly me) wrong about his choice to go to DB. I hope nothing but the best for him. 

10 minutes ago, UnionGuy2017 said:

I’m sure everyone has their version, but I’ll offer mine. 

He has blossomed into an absolute STUD at DB, it looks like he has an extremely bright future and who knows how high he will go. FCS and up maybe??

At Union, his arm talent was always elite. It was 2nd to none. Obviously I’m not at practice so I can’t critique every moment. With that being said, when he got varsity action at the U, you never really saw what he’s showing now. It wasn’t crisp. Maybe that was due to playing time and not getting first team reps. Heck, maybe DB can just develop QB’s that way. I don’t know. 

Either way, I’m SO happy and so proud of him for keeping his head down and working, and proving us (particularly me) wrong about his choice to go to DB. I hope nothing but the best for him. 

Player development is so damn critical but so is player- coach relationship. I often feel like coaches struggle to replace a known starter with more talented but unproven option especially in such a small and close knit football town.  I have no insider knowledge of the situation but that is where my thoughts wandered to.  I’ve seen it time and time again.  I watched it over the past four years with RV where they absolutely did not start their best eleven year in and year out. 

Damn…that kid starting at Union probably makes you favorites in Salem…and he would be back for next year as well.

3 minutes ago, SwvaOG said:

Player development is so damn critical but so is player- coach relationship. I often feel like coaches struggle to replace a known starter with more talented but unproven option especially in such a small and close knit football town.  I have no insider knowledge of the situation but that is where my thoughts wandered to.  I’ve seen it time and time again.  I watched it over the past four years with RV where they absolutely did not start their best eleven year in and year out. 

Damn…that kid starting at Union probably makes you favorites in Salem…and he would be back for next year as well.

Hindsight is 20/20. I cut everyone some slack on that. You’re right though. If he is still here, Union is a huge favorite to win this year and in my opinion top 3 next year aswell. 

that isn’t a knock on Anderson. I’m proud to have him as QB1. 

1 minute ago, UnionGuy2017 said:

Hindsight is 20/20. I cut everyone some slack on that. You’re right though. If he is still here, Union is a huge favorite to win this year and in my opinion top 3 next year aswell. 

that isn’t a knock on Anderson. I’m proud to have him as QB1. 

This reminds me of the fact that I have yet to see a proper try out/ competition for any key position since I relocated to the region.  This is just my RV experience.  It seems as if positions are already decided before the season begins and I really think it is a disservice.  It is like competition is avoided at all costs.  

Do you think that played a part?  Is that an issue over your way?

1 minute ago, SwvaOG said:

This reminds me of the fact that I have yet to see a proper try out/ competition for any key position since I relocated to the region.  This is just my RV experience.  It seems as if positions are already decided before the season begins and I really think it is a disservice.  It is like competition is avoided at all costs.  

Do you think that played a part?  Is that an issue over your way?

It’s really hard for me to say. I don’t have any connections to the program and I never really have. I don’t watch practice, none of my “football buddies” really do either. 

Outside of Sykes, I really have a hard time thinking of a position that was really in question if the best option was on the field or not. 

5 minutes ago, rdh2443 said:

Guy’s I am friends of the family and can promise you it’s never gonna happen. 

Union can dream can’t they? Somebody should snatch up that Lebanon QB, I was very impressed by him against Graham. Honaker doesn’t need him but Richlands is just up 460 and they could definitely use him. If Richlands had him last year with the Brown kid, they’d had a much better season.

31 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

Union can dream can’t they? Somebody should snatch up that Lebanon QB, I was very impressed by him against Graham. Honaker doesn’t need him but Richlands is just up 460 and they could definitely use him. If Richlands had him last year with the Brown kid, they’d had a much better season.

82p7da.jpg

1 hour ago, Gridiron60 said:

Ryan is very faithful, loyal, and is determined. Almost all the kids playing on the field for RV are juniors and sophomores. He’s very proud to be winning with the team he’s known for a very long time, and someone mentioned academics earlier in the chat, Ryan is a student first, reads constantly, loves to learn and he high education aspirations. There is so much more to Ryan O’Quinn than the elite QB he is. He believes in his friends and teammates and he knows they believe in him. 

2 hours ago, Gridiron60 said:

No you don’t.