Transfer Portal

UnionGuy2017

I agree that coaches should not actively recruit, they do not need to , the kids will reach out to the coaches themselves . In this day of social media , the kids know what’s happening at other schools . They know how much work/effort is being put in by either the coaching staff or who shows up for weight lifting . My son is friends and works out with kids that play at different schools in the area . He knows how much effort these other players  and coaches are putting into the program .They talk (should say text) and they listen . 

Edited by GaDawg88

1 hour ago, Gridiron60 said:

I agree , coaches should not actively recruit or approach kids. Richlands actively recruited for years under Mance and kids wanted to play there because they were successful during that run. Right now, Graham is having a good run so kids want to be a part of that. If a player or parent reaches out to a coach, I don’t fault the coach for that.

Agree....if a parent contacts the coach then that is their decision as a parent as long as they move in the school zone or whatever needs to be done.

But in this case palmer himself is calling the kids actively trying to recruit them...dead dead wrong IMO

59 minutes ago, Hokiebird7 said:

Agree....if a parent contacts the coach then that is their decision as a parent as long as they move in the school zone or whatever needs to be done.

But in this case palmer himself is calling the kids actively trying to recruit them...dead dead wrong IMO

There should be no transfer portal in high school sports anyways. Kids don’t realize that high school is most importantly preparing you for college and it doesn’t always revolve around sports. I’ve heard from many of people I work with that Graham reaches out to kids to come play for them and that they also offer gear as if they are a college program.

1 hour ago, Hokiebird7 said:

who did he contact?

33 minutes ago, G_Men Nation said:

There should be no transfer portal in high school sports anyways. Kids don’t realize that high school is most importantly preparing you for college and it doesn’t always revolve around sports. I’ve heard from many of people I work with that Graham reaches out to kids to come play for them and that they also offer gear as if they are a college program.

That is absolutely ridiculous. 

24 minutes ago, swva_fan said:

who did he contact?

I'm not putting kids names out there on a board....believe me if you want, I don't care either way...you wanna believe palmer that's fine.

I know the facts...but not gonna bait me into putting a kids name on here

Nice try

1 hour ago, G_Men Nation said:

Gear 😂😂😂 you mean a tshirt & sweats??? How scandalous ! 😂😂😂

High School prepares some kids for the workforce & not all kids go to college . Being part of a great sports program can produce adults with a great work ethic who will be productive members of society. 

1 hour ago, G_Men Nation said:

Are you in grade school?  When a kid transfers, it is usually the parent that is pushing the issue.  To the victor goes the spoils!  Tony Palmer has built a program, and gets labeled as a "RECRUITER", because of that success!  Gridiron60 nailed it with above post!  Tony, keep building young men!!  

23 minutes ago, Hokiebird7 said:

I'm not putting kids names out there on a board....believe me if you want, I don't care either way...you wanna believe palmer that's fine.

I know the facts...but not gonna bait me into putting a kids name on here

Nice try

If your going to have the guts to mention it have the guts to put some names to it. Otherwise it's just noise. And I don't believe it.

1 minute ago, CPF said:

If your going to have the guts to mention it have the guts to put some names to it. Otherwise it's just noise. And I don't believe it.

Truthfully, if there’s not a  recording of something can it actually be proven???? Anyone can say , so & so called my kid.

I know lots of kids that talk back & forth with players from other schools & are good friends off the field.  Many times, kids are a team’s best “recruiters” for successful programs. 

Our world is interconnected by 1000 fold compared to even 17 years ago. Kids camp together who are from different local High Schools, kids travel together on recruiting visits from different local schools, they compare and contrast each other's programs, weight rooms, practices, off season workouts, etc. They continue to communicate on social media during the season. Do you want to know the biggest recruiter for High Schools? It's not the Coach at school A or B. It's not the parents who want their kid at a better program. It's .......the Other kids. Sure, a parent or coach may play a part, but the single biggest factor (most of the time) for a Kid from School A coming to play at School B is due to the kid or kids at School B who are connected or have some connection to the kid from School A. 

Just my opinion....actually, the above is kind of my opinion. It is skewed more to fact than opinion in this case.

1 hour ago, Mountain Football said:

They offer gear? If the school they are coming from doesn't offer a helmet, then I could see where a kid would want to transfer.

Apparently there is an unlimited budget for gear.

Sometimes it is not all the parents , I know my son gets discouraged when he goes for work outs and only 3-5 kids show up . It shows on the field when you get pushed around by other teams and people wonder why we are getting beat . You have one or two kids giving 110% and others want to just get by . I know the sacrifices my son has made since the 7 grade. So if he comes to me and says “dad I want something more” then as a dad why wouldn’t I reach out ? 
I may have to look into this free gear though 🤣🤣🤣

1 hour ago, CPF said:

I don't give a rat's arse if you believe it or not....i think you DON'T wanna believe it

Sorry but not putting kids names on here

1 hour ago, Gridiron60 said:

If they like t-shirts, I know another school where they can get one almost weekly as a perk. I think businesses donate them but still, free t-shirts weekly is a plus! 

Months after the t-shirts were given out you’re still talking about them. Seems like the advertising plan worked out well for the businesses. Money well spent.

1 hour ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Our world is interconnected by 1000 fold compared to even 17 years ago. Kids camp together who are from different local High Schools, kids travel together on recruiting visits from different local schools, they compare and contrast each other's programs, weight rooms, practices, off season workouts, etc. They continue to communicate on social media during the season. Do you want to know the biggest recruiter for High Schools? It's not the Coach at school A or B. It's not the parents who want their kid at a better program. It's .......the Other kids. Sure, a parent or coach may play a part, but the single biggest factor (most of the time) for a Kid from School A coming to play at School B is due to the kid or kids at School B who are connected or have some connection to the kid from School A. 

Just my opinion....actually, the above is kind of my opinion. It is skewed more to fact than opinion in this case.

This is absolutely how it usually starts and is what usually starts the whole process.  Other players and parents looking for more opportunities are the primary drivers.  The coaches are wise enough to not get involved early in "the process".  Most people don't understand how connected the kids are and how much the "Golden State" affect plays into this.  Ballers want to play with ballers.  A QB wants to play with stud WR's...stud RB's want to play with physical nasty OL.  We saw first hand this all play out over the past couple of years.  

1 hour ago, EH31 said:

Months after the t-shirts were given out you’re still talking about them. Seems like the advertising plan worked out well for the businesses. Money well spent.

Just a joke buddy, I think it’s great the community support those boys get. Many teams don’t get that kind of community involvement. Smart move for businesses definitely. 

21 hours ago, GaDawg88 said:

So if my son is talented enough to play on Saturdays but is getting zero help from his coaches in the recruitment process it’s wrong for him to transfer somewhere that will help him ?  

Who said your son was good enough to play on Saturday? You? College coach? High School Coach? 7on7 Coach?Family Friend? Camp?

Serious question, since this is the “reason” for the transfer 

21 minutes ago, FactChecker2022 said:

Who said your son was good enough to play on Saturday? You? College coach? High School Coach? 7on7 Coach?Family Friend? Camp?

I could be wrong but I thought it was a rhetorical question. 

23 minutes ago, FactChecker2022 said:

Did not say my son was transferring,,if he decided to I would back him 100%,  only asked the question would this be a reason to transfer. 

19 minutes ago, GaDawg88 said:

Did not say my son was transferring,,if he decided to I would back him 100%,  only asked the question would this be a reason to transfer. 

DM me if you want some up close perspective about this.