Virginia High's field

Ryan4VT

3 hours ago, Weatherman said:

Emory and Henry

I was thinking the same.  Emory and Henry or John S. Battle.  If I'm not mistaken, Battle is in the County and not in the City of Bristol, but I'm sure the two schools have administrators, teachers, fans, coaches that know/are close to the other school.  I think the distance is like 6 milesish from school to school.   The lack of having a home playing field is a temporary thing that can and will be reconciled.  But, lets hope the foundation of the home side is not so damaged or far gone that it can't be repaired without starting from scratch.  If starting from scratch and having to build the whole thing over (not saying that is the case) but we talkin some money, funding, the politics, planning, the whole shabang comes into play.

If their neighbors can accommodate them, the Bearcats wouldn't have to leave "Bristol."  TN High's on the road for the first three games (i.e. PH, Radford, Ridgeview), while Battle's on the road for the last two games (i.e. Tazewell, Marion). Additionally, Gene Malcolm rarely sees anything remotely close to a capacity crowd. The large visitor's side plus temporary bleachers would be ample for most games. 

3 hours ago, Liam McPoyle said:

If their neighbors can accommodate them, the Bearcats wouldn't have to leave "Bristol."  TN High's on the road for the first three games (i.e. PH, Radford, Ridgeview), while Battle's on the road for the last two games (i.e. Tazewell, Marion). Additionally, Gene Malcolm rarely sees anything remotely close to a capacity crowd. The large visitor's side plus temporary bleachers would be ample for most games. 

I’d prefer the Stone Castle to traveling to E & H myself. I think temporary bleachers & delegating part of the visitors’ side for home seating would also suffice for this season until they determine what needs to be done long term. Gene Malcolm probably has the second largest visitors’ seating in SWD, Mitchell being the first, obviously. 

3 hours ago, RichRich said:

I thought Jenkins football was done  last time i was by the field it didn't look like at had a game played on it in yrs

For the third year in a row they are trying. Chances are very slim IMO this game gets played.

On 7/12/2023 at 6:14 PM, Wolf1207 said:

I just hope their program can survive that trip to Jenkins Ky.  Lots of power points for that game.

It is an easy trip now! I drove it when it was two lane from Big Stone Gap to Jenkins and coal trucks were everywhere!

The more I think about it, why don't they just use the visitor side for this season.  That is perfectly doable and I'm sure would be easier than trying to beg, steal, borrow a stadium each week.  If they add some seating on each side of the visitor section and split it down the middle....wouldn't be much different than Gate City's crazy-ass setup.  😆

19 hours ago, SwvaOG said:

The more I think about it, why don't they just use the visitor side for this season.  That is perfectly doable and I'm sure would be easier than trying to beg, steal, borrow a stadium each week.  If they add some seating on each side of the visitor section and split it down the middle....wouldn't be much different than Gate City's crazy-ass setup.  😆

That is doable, but I also read they might limit tickets as well, which I don't think is good for the school or fans, hopefully that doesn't happen. 

1 hour ago, Pioneer said:

That is doable, but I also read they might limit tickets as well, which I don't think is good for the school or fans, hopefully that doesn't happen. 

Wow, that would be a dumb move on their part.  Why would they limit their funding?  That's crazy.

2 hours ago, SwvaOG said:

Wow, that would be a dumb move on their part.  Why would they limit their funding?  That's crazy.

I second that. It is going to cost money to fix it, why would you want to lose it? Id say beg TN High is best bet. Maybe E&H on a Thursday or Friday. Worked against Tazewell a few years back. 

On 7/18/2023 at 6:34 PM, SwvaOG said:

We did that for YEARS at Grundy. It was about a 75-25 split, but not marked off (at least for most of the years)

3 hours ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Gate City use to do it indirectly years ago. I don't know about now at Legion, but GC just packed the place so much that GC fans would just be throughout the stands on both sides. 

GC just needs a larger stadium for the home side.  Especially now that their program is pointed in the right direction.  

14 hours ago, SwvaOG said:

Exactly, it may doable, but I don't see them doing it. I expect them to use a combination of the Stone Castle, EH, or Battle. 

20 hours ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Gate City use to do it indirectly years ago. I don't know about now at Legion, but GC just packed the place so much that GC fans would just be throughout the stands on both sides. 

Was at a Appy GC game in the 90s and was surprised how huge Appys crowd was until GC scored and half the visitors side began cheering 

5 hours ago, Duke2015 said:

Was at a Appy GC game in the 90s and was surprised how huge Appys crowd was until GC scored and half the visitors side began cheering 

you go to a GC home basketball game the visitors side filled up with GC fans way before their side did!!!

Oddly enough, this same thing happened at Gate City several years ago. Hopefully they can get it figured out but they sure didn't give them much time to work with before finding this out. As for our "visitors" seating, I've been going to GC games for 50 years and it hasn't changed. The only times I can remember another school filling up the entire visitors side was the first year of Lee High's existence and when Broadway came down for the state championship in '97.