Week 1 Updates

Iceman2553

On 8/24/2023 at 10:01 PM, tornado99 said:

Honaker would have been good this season, regardless. Those 2 are huge assets and play both ways.

That’s four starting positions plus I’m sure they play special teams.  That’s huge in 1A ball.

8 hours ago, KW23 said:

Fort Chiswell 14 Rural Retreat 12.  Flooky play of the game was opening kickoff everyone goes in to tackle player it was kicked too ball pops out right to fort chiswells best player who then went untouched to the house BC nobody was near him.  

8 hours ago, KW23 said:

Flooky play of the game was opening kickoff everyone goes in to tackle player it was kicked too ball pops out right to fort chiswells best player who then went untouched to the house BC nobody was near him.

That player for fort is Mikey Melton. Including that fumble and run, he had 6 touches for 220+/- yards.

10 hours ago, SWVAgridiron said:

GW definitely lost some key players I think primary on the offensive/defensive line. Radford lost a few skill players as well but seem to have just reloaded. I’m hoping Giles puts up a fight next week against the Bobcats. Anyone know why GW had to sit on the home side with Radford? I feel like their fans aren’t going to enjoy having a train horn right next to them next week. 

We couldn't get the pass rush we did on Clark last year and the kid just had a monster night. He looked fantastic, and we didn't have an answer. But it wasn't a good night for us all around.....we couldn't get out of our own way.  But that's why I'll always love opening with Radford, even years when they thump us just like they did last night. There's always a clear understanding of who we can depend on, where our trouble spots lie, and what we need to clean up. 

Never did catch why no one could sit on the visitor side lol! I couldn't make it to the game and had to resort to NFHS lol. 

9 hours ago, CPF said:

Well that didn't take long......you have a Graham great on your staff and his son plays for your team. It goes both ways always has.

The 1990s called. They want their offensive style back. The speed should be spread all over the field. The line should have wide splits. Why keep 10 of the 11 inside the hashes and run traps up the middle? There is zero development. Time to go. 

13 minutes ago, SWVAgridiron said:

Northside was winless last season so it’s too early to tell whether or not it was impressive lol 

I guess Salem and Northside are back to swapping each other for the best football players to go to Salem and the best basketball players to go to Northside. They have done that a lot over the years. 

I thought Bluefield had an excellent game plan.  The early season penalties and mistakes hurt both teams.  I graduated from Armchair QB U. with a degree in "What were they thinking?"" with an emphasis on "Time for a new coach" and Bluefield did exactly what I said they should do in my keys to the game a few days back, if some of you other couch coaches recall....not to brag or anything.

21 minutes ago, Union_Fan said:

I think the entire coaching staff at Lee and Union should be fired for not preventing the lightning in Ben Hur. $7 for one half of football is outrageous! Haha 

As many coaches as Union has on the staff I thought for sure one of them would be a meteorologist.

1 hour ago, Union_Fan said:

I think the entire coaching staff at Lee and Union should be fired for not preventing the lightning in Ben Hur. $7 for one half of football is outrageous! Haha 

I was leaving anyways but that’s gotta be the first game I’ve ever seen called that soon never even rained did it??  Seemed to me Lee just didn’t wanna come back out after that performance.  Union is either great or Lee is really bad