New Head Coach at Richlands

Blue Tornado

27 minutes ago, bleedblue89 said:

Valid question.
Who’s lined up to step in as the basketball HC when Ronnie gets the football job? He’s been know to just walk off and leave a bunch of kids before the season is over, or in this case, even started. 

I don’t know anything about this, but aren’t these jobs “one year contracts”? 
I believe I have heard this reasoning used to fire coaches in the past. I guess the door can swing both ways if that is the case.

10 minutes ago, tornado99 said:

That is my best guess. But I would happily accept that package deal if available. 

What's the chances Davis gets HC & brings Aaron Lowe back at OC? It's my understanding Lowe has a lot of supporters in Big R Country. 

1 hour ago, Gridiron60 said:

What's the chances Davis gets HC & brings Aaron Lowe back at OC? It's my understanding Lowe has a lot of supporters in Big R Country. 

Non-zero but not good. Someone would have to mend some serious fences.

2 hours ago, Gridiron60 said:

Ronnie Davis might be the man but I still don't see Snake leaving Graham even if Davis is hired as head coach. @SwvaOGsaid Snake told him he wasn't interested in going back to Richlands. My guess is that talk is more wishful thinking than fact based. 

Yep.  The question was direct and the response was as well.  That was one year ago and we didn’t discuss it further.

37 minutes ago, SwvaOG said:

Yep.  The question was direct and the response was as well.  That was one year ago and we didn’t discuss it further.

I’m assuming here but I would guess you asked a general question about him going back to Richlands and you didn’t pose the question as 

“would you consider going back to Richlands if your brother was named head coach?” 

I would imagine those two questions would field different answers.

5 hours ago, Gridiron60 said:

Ronnie Davis might be the man but I still don't see Snake leaving Graham even if Davis is hired as head coach. @SwvaOGsaid Snake told him he wasn't interested in going back to Richlands. My guess is that talk is more wishful thinking than fact based. 

Maybe. Maybe not. But methinks the allure of coaching with your brother again could lead a man to rethink previous statements. Could be entirely wrong. We’ll all know soon enough lol

Total guess here but I think Davis takes HC, keeps a current assistant as DC and looks outside of current staff for OC. I don't things truly settle until Honaker's season is over.  I'm not sold Snake wants to start all over again back at RIchlands in a complete rebuild, although, he may see it as a full circle finish to his career.

Love the back and forth on this subject.  In this political charged county we call home, the coach decision will henge on connections rather than talent or experience.  That's a sad situation, but in reality it's the situation that has been created by the political machine within TCSB.  To often we have seen some erratic moves from this school board in hiring and firing to even think they will try to do what is best for the program.  IMO Aaron Lowe would have been a good replacement, but alas the TCSB political machine decided to remove him from the coaching position the held against all the protest from the parents of the players and fans of the team.  True we may never know what went on in that situation, but we do know his players respected him, and the results speak for themseves.  TCSB does not and will never listen to any input from this board, the players, the parents, or the fans.  In the end they will pick the person that has the best connection to the Board members, so don't be surprised if its someone you would never pick in a million years, with no experience in coaching, but oh man, what a political connection they have with the Board.

45 minutes ago, Tru Blue72 said:

Love the back and forth on this subject.  In this political charged county we call home, the coach decision will henge on connections rather than talent or experience.  That's a sad situation, but in reality it's the situation that has been created by the political machine within TCSB.  To often we have seen some erratic moves from this school board in hiring and firing to even think they will try to do what is best for the program.  IMO Aaron Lowe would have been a good replacement, but alas the TCSB political machine decided to remove him from the coaching position the held against all the protest from the parents of the players and fans of the team.  True we may never know what went on in that situation, but we do know his players respected him, and the results speak for themseves.  TCSB does not and will never listen to any input from this board, the players, the parents, or the fans.  In the end they will pick the person that has the best connection to the Board members, so don't be surprised if its someone you would never pick in a million years, with no experience in coaching, but oh man, what a political connection they have with the Board.

There are so many things this is evident with them on.  I don't think the school board has any fans from any of the three schools from what I know.  The superintendent does what he wants regardless of what anyone suggests to him but yet he has no spine to stand and make a firm decision either way.  Still trying to figure out how that works 

32 minutes ago, stu_bean said:

There are so many things this is evident with them on.  I don't think the school board has any fans from any of the three schools from what I know.  The superintendent does what he wants regardless of what anyone suggests to him but yet he has no spine to stand and make a firm decision either way.  Still trying to figure out how that works 

Are you all referring to Tazewell or Dickenson county?  
We have the same issues over here.  But when they get rid of somebody, the next family member will get the job or whoever was incompetent enough will fail upward. 

14 hours ago, tornado99 said:

I don’t know anything about this, but aren’t these jobs “one year contracts”? 
I believe I have heard this reasoning used to fire coaches in the past. I guess the door can swing both ways if that is the case.

Honoring a contract isn’t a priority for Ronnie Davis. As far as that goes, breaking one it’s not a deal breaker for TCPS either, so as I said, who’s taking over the HC basketball if he gets hired? 

I am going to put this baby to bed, Dennis Palmer is not going back to Richlands even if Ronnie Davis is the new head coach. The Palmers are happy at Graham.  We've had this conversation and it doesn't matter the wording of the question, the answer is a resounding , "No"..He's not going anywhere. 

2 hours ago, stu_bean said:

The fact you just called the superintendent of TCPS spineless on here makes my day. This may possibly be the best of the year.😂😂

I haven't mentioned any name, but there is someone I think can "right the ship".  Someone said no one would want to come and rebuild.  Well, that could be said for Graham, and Tazewell as well, but they have rebuilt with the right coaches.  It can't be a revolving door, because those doors move quickly, around and around.  No effort to push it open,  go inside and stay.  I hope for the community, Blues program,  the young men on the team, and upcoming players,  it isn't about being vested in the school system, but an investment for the future of the program.  Wise decisions aren't made hastily for gratification, but long-term for success and development.  

18 minutes ago, tbgfan said:

I haven't mentioned any name, but there is someone I think can "right the ship".  Someone said no one would want to come and rebuild.  Well, that could be said for Graham, and Tazewell as well, but they have rebuilt with the right coaches.  It can't be a revolving door, because those doors move quickly, around and around.  No effort to push it open,  go inside and stay.  I hope for the community, Blues program,  the young men on the team, and upcoming players,  it isn't about being vested in the school system, but an investment for the future of the program.  Wise decisions aren't made hastily for gratification, but long-term for success and development.  

Bingo man.  Shoot, I would like to get a new job and become the CEO of an already established Fortune 500 company (not really, but just for clarifying the point) and it would be great.  Odds are for most HS coaches in the United States, that isn't going to happen regarding taking over a well-oiled machine and a program currently on or near the top.  Those jobs generally are not open because......they are at the top.  Union, Graham, Appomattox, Central Woodstock, Riverheads?  No openings for a HC for a reason (although Union can surely find someone an assistant spot).  If you have a coach interviewing for a job and he makes the statement or eludes to the point that "I'm not really sure about doing a rebuilding job," then this ain't the guy.  By the way, I'm certainly not saying this is the case with Davis or that Davis has this opinion.  I would bet he certainly doesn't, but that applies to about any coach being interviewed.

2 hours ago, bleedblue89 said:

Honoring a contract isn’t a priority for Ronnie Davis. As far as that goes, breaking one it’s not a deal breaker for TCPS either, so as I said, who’s taking over the HC basketball if he gets hired? 

I have no idea. It has been a disturbing trend of what seems to be a rotating door for years. It is possible, but not probable, to Coach multiple sports (Chilhowie), but since sports are year-round it is difficult to do it for long (Chilhowie, again). The practice that I questioned is a suspected cause of the turnover in the first place.

The football coaching instability has been a fairly recent phenomenon. The same practices could be argued that brought us to where we are now concerning many assistants. 

53 minutes ago, tbgfan said:

I agree wholeheartedly with your points. I hope those people (staff included) are out there and selected. 
As far as Graham is concerned, I know most of Palmer and staff have been entrenched in the greater Bluefield area.

I don’t really know enough about Tazewell, other than it was a rotating door prior to Harris. 
Without knowing myself, and without any specific names, those points would lead me to a “Richlands guy”, either by residence, family, or graduate. Usually, as in Graham’s case, that lends itself better to that dedication. It will also take patience. 

11 hours ago, stu_bean said:

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952zjrjyxtds7s1fjz6qx

16 hours ago, cityofRaven said:

I think a lot of people are going to be surprised.

Yelp, you're probably right. The biggest suprise would be if TCSB would actually make a meanigful, well thought-out  decision. They could always do away with Football and just plant more pine trees behind the high school and then bus anyone who wanted to play football to Tazewell.  That way TCSB wouldn't have to worry about the Richlands High football program.  I probably shouldn't post this, it may give them the ideal, causing a delay in hiring a new HC as they  consider the probability of moonlight through the pines. 

34 minutes ago, Tru Blue72 said:

Yelp, you're probably right. The biggest suprise would be if TCSB would actually make a meanigful, well thought-out  decision. They could always do away with Football and just plant more pine trees behind the high school and then bus anyone who wanted to play football to Tazewell.  That way TCSB wouldn't have to worry about the Richlands High football program.  I probably shouldn't post this, it may give them the ideal, causing a delay in hiring a new HC as they  consider the probability of moonlight through the pines. 

They wouldn't allow the planting of pine trees either. Shovels and/or heavy equipment on school property would likely make too much noise.