New Head Coach at Richlands

Blue Tornado

26 minutes ago, Real Sasquatch said:

We must do something about that.....

Well, now we can continue this thread by asking questions, or giving opinions about the new assistants under the New Head Coach.  We can probably reach above a thousand post befor we're through.  Let's go for it.

1 hour ago, Tru Blue72 said:

That has been part of the problem. assistant coaches not buying into the HC experience and trying to go their own way, as if to say, "I'll show everyone I am better than the HC."  Doesn't work that way.  Tarter knows football, but some of those around him thought they knew more, so it was a mess. Just my opinion, with a little bit of insider information.

All assistants and community members can do is either support or destroy, that's it. Any deviation from support is destruction. Know your role and push the program forward. Anything else erodes the HCs authority and hurts the program. HCs have a role too, lead and take responsibility. If they're not doing that then they're at fault.

Im not saying blindly follow but know your role and shut your mouth. Im not saying the HC is 100% at fault, but ultimately it falls on him. 

11 minutes ago, redtiger said:

All assistants and community members can do is either support or destroy, that's it. Any deviation from support is destruction. Know your role and push the program forward. Anything else erodes the HCs authority and hurts the program. HCs have a role too, lead and take responsibility. If they're not doing that then they're at fault.

Im not saying blindly follow but know your role and shut your mouth. Im not saying the HC is 100% at fault, but ultimately it falls on him. 

Agreed.  When you have a quality staff everyone is contributing and at times that may be in the form of counter points, input on game plan and it all gets fined tuned together.  No one ego can be bigger than the other but the assistants have to understand the HC may get the glory but they also will shoulder the most blame too.

1 hour ago, chipinbogey said:

We did it folks! 

Now is the official presser going to be at Emory or.....

Much like Tech is trying to regain the Tidewater area. I think it's only fitting for the presser to be held in McDowell County. It's time for Richlands to get back to their roots and retake their stake of that area.

So, when it comes to recruiting staff and players (hallways and outside), where do you draw the line, ethically speaking? Is it whatever it takes? 
I’ll throw out my hypothetical, but admittedly in an NIL world it is complicated. I’m in favor of bringing in staff and whatever comes with it. I couldn’t/didn’t blame the Honaker transfers. It’s just an extra benefit with the hire. 
My major discomfort probably comes from other promises exchanged, monetary gifts, or “fake” residency. If a parent or athlete wants to make a decision to relocate for greater opportunities, I’ve grown to accept it and understand. The Friday Night Lights Buddy Garrity mailbox, is too blatant of attempt to skirt the rules.

What say you all? (Opinions, no judgment).

(I also heard stories of Olin recruiting employees for recruiting purposes.)

1 hour ago, tornado99 said:

So, when it comes to recruiting staff and players (hallways and outside), where do you draw the line, ethically speaking? Is it whatever it takes? 
I’ll throw out my hypothetical, but admittedly in an NIL world it is complicated. I’m in favor of bringing in staff and whatever comes with it. I couldn’t/didn’t blame the Honaker transfers. It’s just an extra benefit with the hire. 
My major discomfort probably comes from other promises exchanged, monetary gifts, or “fake” residency. If a parent or athlete wants to make a decision to relocate for greater opportunities, I’ve grown to accept it and understand. The Friday Night Lights Buddy Garrity mailbox, is too blatant of attempt to skirt the rules.

What say you all? (Opinions, no judgment).

(I also heard stories of Olin recruiting employees for recruiting purposes.)

Most transfers are relocations with one or both parents residing in the county.  That's just the truth.  There are exceptions.  I've went into detail about this before as we looked at relocating for my eldest's senior year. We were "recruited' by 3-4 schools and all of them stated that one of the parents would need to relocate.  Nothing else was said about that and all the coaches deferred to the school's principal.  Money was never discussed, nor did I bring it up.  Don't know what would have happened if I did to be honest.  There is a lot of hyperbole around this subject.

I used to be a die-hard anti-transfer guy but I have changed my view considerably.  There are numerous viable reasons to transfer and there are some reasons that aren't.  A QB with considerable arm talent transferring for developmental improvement is a smart decision.  There are tons of kids that missed scholarship money due to playing for inept staffs and didn't see it as their duty to prepare their talented kids for next level opportunities or due to archaic offenses (QB running a single wing). 

As for those kids who transfer for bad reasons....that usually washes out.  Sometimes both parties are the better for the parting. 

All I know is that the Blues are gonna draw interest, especially if they run a "fun" offense that showcases skill.  For those who say you can't win with a passing offense.......Radford says you can.  Ridgeview was on that path until they self imploded with the coaching change.   Honaker made it to the Final Four before losing to the eventual state champs....but it was their defense that let them down...not the high flying passing offense.  If the past, those talented basketball kids didn't play football....too skinny.  Those kids are now WRs and DBs and are flying up and down the field.  Skill and speed kill. 

1 hour ago, SwvaOG said:

Most transfers are relocations with one or both parents residing in the county.  That's just the truth.  There are exceptions.  I've went into detail about this before as we looked at relocating for my eldest's senior year. We were "recruited' by 3-4 schools and all of them stated that one of the parents would need to relocate.  Nothing else was said about that and all the coaches deferred to the school's principal.  Money was never discussed, nor did I bring it up.  Don't know what would have happened if I did to be honest.  There is a lot of hyperbole around this subject.

I used to be a die-hard anti-transfer guy but I have changed my view considerably.  There are numerous viable reasons to transfer and there are some reasons that aren't.  A QB with considerable arm talent transferring for developmental improvement is a smart decision.  There are tons of kids that missed scholarship money due to playing for inept staffs and didn't see it as their duty to prepare their talented kids for next level opportunities or due to archaic offenses (QB running a single wing). 

As for those kids who transfer for bad reasons....that usually washes out.  Sometimes both parties are the better for the parting. 

All I know is that the Blues are gonna draw interest, especially if they run a "fun" offense that showcases skill.  For those who say you can't win with a passing offense.......Radford says you can.  Ridgeview was on that path until they self imploded with the coaching change.   Honaker made it to the Final Four before losing to the eventual state champs....but it was their defense that let them down...not the high flying passing offense.  If the past, those talented basketball kids didn't play football....too skinny.  Those kids are now WRs and DBs and are flying up and down the field.  Skill and speed kill. 

I’m glad that no money was discussed but this is going to change over the next decade.  Not necessarily in the M7 or SWD.  I believe kids from this area with d1 talent will get looks from DB where there will be money.  Also the big Ky schools will not hesitate to pay a kid.  
I believe the school that figures out how to get to 50/50 run pass will become the dominant school in region d.  I’m assuming it’ll eventually be Graham because of the talent pool, but Union, Gate City, and especially Abingdon can’t be ruled out.  

1 hour ago, SwvaOG said:

Thanks for that insight. I’m sure most are legitimate. I think primarily about stories such as Rich Probst scandals where money, cars, apartments are exchanged, “sham separations/divorces” as extremes. I’m sure it happens away from here, or maybe just sensationalized.

5 hours ago, SwvaOG said:

For all of the “Air Raid” talk, that high flying passing offense of Honaker’s depended an awful lot on Lowe running the ball in the playoffs.  

My, my, my, how times have changed.  A few years back everyone was dumping on Mance about the transfers, but now it seems Mance was ahead of his time, because tranfers seem normal and acceptable.  I can see both pros and cons about transfers, but in todays time transferring from one school to another is no big deal especially if it works out to the good of the player. If HC Davis surrounds himself with good assistants he will be successful.  The HC is like a president and has to have the final say.  The assistants are like cabinet members and can always have discussions with the HC about changes, or recomendations, but in the end the HC has the final say.  What we've seen the past couple of years is assistants changing the game plan in the middle of a game without the HC's approval, causing nothing but chaos and confusion, with players not knowing which play to run.  

I think Davis has been involved long enough in coaching that he understands how to delagate but still remain in control.  I wish him the best in choosing assistants that will get involved but remain loyal to him in the HC position. 

On 12/12/2023 at 2:12 PM, Union_Fan said:

5 hours ago, Tru Blue72 said:

My, my, my, how times have changed.  A few years back everyone was dumping on Mance about the transfers, but now it seems Mance was ahead of his time, because tranfers seem normal and acceptable.  I can see both pros and cons about transfers, but in todays time transferring from one school to another is no big deal especially if it works out to the good of the player. If HC Davis surrounds himself with good assistants he will be successful.  The HC is like a president and has to have the final say.  The assistants are like cabinet members and can always have discussions with the HC about changes, or recomendations, but in the end the HC has the final say.  What we've seen the past couple of years is assistants changing the game plan in the middle of a game without the HC's approval, causing nothing but chaos and confusion, with players not knowing which play to run.  

I think Davis has been involved long enough in coaching that he understands how to delagate but still remain in control.  I wish him the best in choosing assistants that will get involved but remain loyal to him in the HC position. 

If any of y’all think Ronnie Davis wasn’t placed in the HC position by central office because he will do as expected, then let me assure you, he was specifically placed there as a yes man that will as do as expected. Will he be a better HC,  surround himself with better assistants, have better all around control and football knowledge than Tarter? I guess we will see, but do not expect him to rock the boat and play kids based on talent and not who their parents or buddies kids are, sorry, didn’t mean to rain on the parade, just felt like a little dose of truth might be needed. 

25 minutes ago, bleedblue89 said:

If any of y’all think Ronnie Davis wasn’t placed in the HC position by central office because he will do as expected, then let me assure you, he was specifically placed there as a yes man that will as do as expected. Will he be a better HC,  surround himself with better assistants, have better all around control and football knowledge than Tarter? I guess we will see, but do not expect him to rock the boat and play kids based on talent and not who their parents or buddies kids are, sorry, didn’t mean to rain on the parade, just felt like a little dose of truth might be needed. 

Exactly why I posted early on this thread that a clean house was needed and a coach from outside the area needed to be hired, but I disagree with you on Davis bring a yes man, I think he has already proved he plays talent from his coaching in other sports.  The main thing I see is he has to have assistants and supporters who are not yes men to the TCSB members who want to be involved. Let the guy coach next year and if it proves he is that yes man doing lip service for the higher ups it will show quickly.

As far as the parade comment, you're in the wrong town, Tazewell is the town that has all the parades. LOL!!!

5 minutes ago, Tru Blue72 said:

Exactly why I posted early on this thread that a clean house was needed and a coach from outside the area needed to be hired, but I disagree with you on Davis bring a yes man, I think he has already proved he plays talent from his coaching in other sports.  The main thing I see is he has to have assistants and supporters who are not yes men to the TCSB members who want to be involved. Let the guy coach next year and if it proves he is that yes man doing lip service for the higher ups it will show quickly.

As far as the parade comment, you're in the wrong town, Tazewell is the town that has all the parades. LOL!!!

Dude, he’s a yes man.

Do you know what happens to coaches that are not yes men to TCPS central office? They do not get hired to head coach positions.

Also, no assistant will get passed if they are not also yes men.  One may fall through the cracks on occasion, but they are not tolerated and are directly shown the door.  

These people are aware of what it takes to land and keep their jobs. Just trying to prepare the unaware. 

36 minutes ago, Tru Blue72 said:

Yeah, no parades when you go 0-10.  Just a parade of coaches leaving over at RHS the past few years (not just football).

I've been hearing there is one other Tazewell County School which will be loosing their football coach, anyone else hearing anything? Would rather not mention the school for the fact that some people just start rumors for the act of starting rumors. LOL

25 minutes ago, bleedblue89 said:

Dude, he’s a yes man.

Do you know what happens to coaches that are not yes men to TCPS central office? They do not get hired to head coach positions.

Also, no assistant will get passed if they are not also yes men.  One may fall through the cracks on occasion, but they are not tolerated and are directly shown the door.  

These people are aware of what it takes to land and keep their jobs. Just trying to prepare the unaware. 

So from what you have stated, every coach that coaches any sport in any school in Tazewell County is simply a yes man or yes woman.  Wow, that's a lot of coaches for the school board to keep track of.  How do they pull this feat off?  Have they got a secret committee that no one knows about execpt every coach in the county sworn to secrecy?  Which school is discussed the most during their meetings?  I know I'm funning with you, and it is a bad situation with the school board trying to run everything, but it doesn't seem logical to me if every coach is a yes person. I just don't understand how the school board can control that.  Please explain the procedure for pulling this off in great detail so we can all watch for it. Looking forward to your explaination.