UVA Wise coach call it quits

RichRich

If you don’t get close to 36 skolley’s and pay your staff it’s always going to be tough when LR , wingate and Newman can.  But awesome stadium and nice facilities could attract a bunch of interest 

If you don’t get close to 36 skolley’s and pay your staff it’s always going to be tough when LR , wingate and Newman can.  But awesome stadium and nice facilities could attract a bunch of interest 

You can pay 2 grand to park behind the stands and drink from your tailgate

13 hours ago, Duke2015 said:

Any idea why most kids leave after 1 year???  I think they could have a solid program if the kids stayed 

This is normal at pretty much everywhere.  You take a kid whos been a "stud" at his high school and throw him in with 80-100, "studs" from their high school and the cream rises to the top very quickly.  A majority of them cant handle that nor the 13-14 hour days of football for the school year and then the expectations of what you are supposed to do during the summer to show at camp in shape and ready to roll.  Lastly, most cant handle college education, they don't know how to study and do work on their own.  College professors don't care if you are a football player and have little to no time to do work or study; zero time management for a lot of freshman.  A lot flunk out or quit school after 1 semester.  My freshman class at E&H on day 1 was around 90 to 100 on senior day it was 18.   

Understanding how to properly manage time is the hardest thing to learn post high school. Regardless of whether it's an athlete or regular college student. A lot of people never really learn the concept. It's why a certain percentage of every graduating class end up back home after a semester or two at college. That percentage seems to be a little higher in our region for some reason. 

I don't think the local staffs do a particularly good job of preparing them for the reality of college and college sports.  All too often the high-school football "stars" are given unearned breaks at their schools.  It has always been that way.  They aren't prepared on how to study and how to collaborate and utilize and incorporate multiple disparate data sources to produce cogent products and conclusions.  As mentioned earlier, a lot of those professors "don't play" and couldn't give two cents that you play football.  

Now, throw in the football side.  Let's do some 06:30 (am) lifts during the week of football season and have weekly meetings and mandatory study hall and, my favorite, 08:30 recall meetings Sunday morning (so you can't party too hard Saturday night).  Oh, you want to go home this weekend to watch your old high school team and see your girlfriend?  No, you are hosting recruits this weekend.  Now, throw in the fact that your very best may not even move the needle or catch the coach's eye because 10 others can do it as well or even better than you.  You better have a "team-first" attitude to even be looked at. 

Here is the ultimate kicker about college football.  Daddy. Don't. Matter. Your local cachet or hook-ups, etc., don't carry water at all.  That is why, the staffs that don't fall into the daddy ball/nepotism/favorite ideology and adopt a "play the most talented" mindset, prepare their players the best.  Another major injustice some of the local staffs do is not adopt a consistent and quality S&C program.  Every recruiting visit will have a stop at the gym and you will meet the trainers and S&C coach.  His voice will be horse and gravely and have a crew-cut and will say the following:  "Your son will spend more time with me and my staff than the football coaches."  And it is true.  

A final issue is that, unfortunately, a lot of our local kids are socially isolated here.  They aren't used to being surrounded by a majority of kids that don't sound, look, act or think the same.  It can be a shock and, all the while, their boys from back home (and their parents) are saying "You gonna be home this weekend?  Let's go out,  There's a party at Skeeter's".  They will miss family events for the first time.

Did I mention that they will devote 5x more hours to football than they ever did in high school and devote 5x more hours to studying than they ever did in high school and their old friend's will always be in their ear to come back home and hang out. 

53 minutes ago, SwvaOG said:

I don't think the local staffs do a particularly good job of preparing them for the reality of college and college sports.  All too often the high-school football "stars" are given unearned breaks at their schools.  It has always been that way.  They aren't prepared on how to study and how to collaborate and utilize and incorporate multiple disparate data sources to produce cogent products and conclusions.  As mentioned earlier, a lot of those professors "don't play" and couldn't give two cents that you play football.  

Now, throw in the football side.  Let's do some 06:30 (am) lifts during the week of football season and have weekly meetings and mandatory study hall and, my favorite, 08:30 recall meetings Sunday morning (so you can't party too hard Saturday night).  Oh, you want to go home this weekend to watch your old high school team and see your girlfriend?  No, you are hosting recruits this weekend.  Now, throw in the fact that your very best my never even move the needle or catch the coach's eye because 10 others can do it as well or even better than you.  You better have a "team-first" attitude to even be looked at. 

Here is the ultimate kicker about college football.  Daddy. Don't. Matter. Your local cache or hook-ups, etc., don't carry water at all.  That is why, the staffs that don't fall into the daddy ball/nepotism/favorite ideology and adopt a "play the most talented" mindset, prepare their players the best.  Another major injustice some of the local staffs do is not adopt a consistent and quality S&C program.  Every recruiting visit will have a stop at the gym and you will meet the trainers and S&C coach.  His voice will be horse and gravely and have a crew-cut and will say the following:  "Your son will spend more time with me and my staff than the football coaches."  And it is true.  

A final issue is that, unfortunately, a lot of our local kids are socially isolated here.  They aren't used to being surrounded by a majority of kids that don't sound, look, act or think the same.  It can be a shock and, all the while, their boys from back home (and their parents) are saying "You gonna be home this weekend?  Let's go out,  There's a party at Skeeter's".  They will miss family events for the first time.

Did I mention that they will devote 5x more hours to football than they ever did in high school and devote 5x more hours to studying than they ever did in high school and their old friend's will always be in their ear to come back home and hang out. 

Same goes for life in the military. 

57 minutes ago, SwvaOG said:

Did I mention that they will devote 5x more hours to studying than they ever did in high school

That's dependent upon the kid. Some, with the guidance of parents, understand the need to be prepared for college and that local high schools aren't equipped to provide that preparation. 

Governor's School opportunities and Early College programs are available to all students who choose to put that work in while still in high school. Most never take advantage of those opportunities offered to them.

44 minutes ago, Wolf1207 said:

Same goes for life in the military. 

Except you can't quite quit the military so easily.  Lol.  I guess you could always tempt UCMJ application. 

I would love to see higher enlistment numbers for the region.  It would server them well.

correct on all counts SwvaOG.

I didnt play college ball but college was tough for me. Learning how to manage time efficiently and how to study efficiently were tough skills for me to learn. Moving from Haysi to UVAW was a culture shock, like you said I felt very isolated. Ive seen kids play at UVAW and football isnt easy, college isnt easy. Its a lot to adjust to and it has to happen quick.

42 minutes ago, redtiger said:

correct on all counts SwvaOG.

I didnt play college ball but college was tough for me. Learning how to manage time efficiently and how to study efficiently were tough skills for me to learn. Moving from Haysi to UVAW was a culture shock, like you said I felt very isolated. Ive seen kids play at UVAW and football isnt easy, college isnt easy. Its a lot to adjust to and it has to happen quick.

Yes Sir, and if you don't adjust or don't succeed you are just processed out and no one misses you a bit.  That is their first experience of how the world doesn't worry one bit about you. 

Even more reason why coaching is a higher calling than a stipend.  You should be a teacher and mentor to those in your charge.  You should give a damn.  This generation needs more mentors and positive influencers.  Coaches are judged by more than wins/losses, they are/should be judged by their positive impact on their kids. 

2 hours ago, 44cov3 said:

https://breakingmuscle.com/welcome-to-college-athletics-a-letter-from-your-strength-coach/

Found this article several years ago and always suggest it to young guys who say they want to go play at the next level.  From my college playing experience its point on.

That is pretty spot on.  I was lucky enough that I didn't mind lifting and loved lifting legs and back.  I was a good track guy that was lucky enough to have a former Marine as my track coach so I was physically prepared when I went to the next level.  The rigid schedule and feeling like you never had "real" time away from the program wore on me a bit.  It prepared me for my post college military career rather well.  

10 hours ago, SwvaOG said:

Except you can't quite quit the military so easily.  Lol.  I guess you could always tempt UCMJ application. 

I would love to see higher enlistment numbers for the region.  It would server them well.

UCMJ. The document that replaces your constitutional rights while you support and defend the Constitution. 

3 minutes ago, Liam McPoyle said:

UCMJ. The document that replaces your constitutional rights while you support and defend the Constitution. 

Oddly enough that’s one of the first things they told us when we got to Parris Island, 

On 11/13/2023 at 8:54 PM, Liam McPoyle said:

You're meaning to tell me that after I get back from a tough 72 hour field training exercise, I can't put in my nipple rings and go shirtless with my 666 tattoo while hanging outside the PX handing out literature on Beelzebub and Leviathan? It's not fair man! 

For whatever reason there is a lack of commitment to produce winning athletic programs at UVA Wise. 

Not saying all coaches and all players aren't committed, but rather that there is something missing at UVA Wise and I can't put my finger on it.

Players and coaches that pour everything into their craft do not appear to have the kind of support that they need from administration, alumni, student body or community. And those players and coaches that aren't as committed, talented or knowledgeable as they need to be, in order to be competitive, are allowed to stay around too long. 

It's almost as if fielding a team is enough, a high standard, overall, does not appear to be a part of the UVA Wise culture. 

Mediocrity, if tolerated, will breed apathy, and before you know it everyone is just going through the motions.

There is no excitement or enthusiasm with any program at the school. The culture of mediocrity will continue to grow unless something or someone comes in and shakes things up in Wise. 

Whether it's true or not, I couldn't tell you how many times I have heard people say, " that school isn't committed to winning" 

it's like everything else, you get what you pay for.  Surely they don't let 9 awards just sit and not invest in some athletes.  Maybe I'm wrong, but if you can't land or make the local top tier talent want to come to UVA-Wise, then why go after talent that's out of your area?  A lot of locals do wash out, just as athletes from afar so that's not really a good excuse to not recruit locally.  They still host the fca all-star game?  It's full of seniors that may/may not be highly recruited, but none the less are just tough kids that might be worth taking a chance on.  The other side is parents who think that their kid is better than UVA-Wise or local school in general. There is a huge gap in D1, D2, D3.  Just the same, there is a big gap from High School to college.  There's always going to be exceptions, but most often freshman aren't ready for college level play.  I don't think anyone plays a JV type schedule with red-shirts anymore but that would be an advantage compared to not playing in a competitive setting and only practicing all year.  I think part of the problem was created years ago when I believe they were NAIA and seemed to recruit harder for higher level drop-outs than local as well.  Nothing wrong with recruiting as far as possible, but make more effort to snatch up locals first.  Affordability I'm sure is an issue as well, but not even sure what it costs now.  Other local schools are quite expensive but I don't think the price is as high at UVA-Wise.  The campus, community, administration, town, etc have to go all in or it's useless.  Success comes with a price and until they start investing it's not going to change.  Words are cheap, put your money where your mouth is.  I'd love to go to a loud college game here close to home a few times a year.  SWVA loves football and the environment so figure it out UVA-Wise.  

If schlorships are stacked then there is enough to go around, key is getting all coaches out on the road to find all players, always need to offer the best 10-12 local players so they dont leave for other schools   Finally winning always changes how and who you can recruit

Is there some merit concerning affordability about scholarships being prioritized for prospects from out of the area from disadvantaged backgrounds? I’m basing this on a conversation a few years ago with a friend whose son was going through the recruiting process. 
For example, whether local politics or simply talent, my observation locally is that the better players often are from middle or sometimes upper class backgrounds. I’m certain the development is influenced by stability at home and the resources to attend various camps and practices outside what is provided through the schools. The perception leads to the conclusion that that prospect if they are serious about playing can afford to pay for all or some of their education. Meanwhile, the scholarship goes to attract prospects mentioned earlier. Those prospects likely don’t have a backup plan to complete their education.
This doesn’t include clear Division 1 outliers that are clearly gifted with extraordinary size and/or speed.

Is this scenario a real phenomenon?