Scores and Updates-Dec 2

Liam McPoyle

9 minutes ago, Hokiebird7 said:

My question for Graham fans is....who is that jacked up dude on your staff? Dude is a damn monster, but he sure wants everyone to see him lol

That's "Big Mike"

He was walking around on the field in BSG with a sleeveless shirt while it was still 40 degrees.

He definitely wants to be seen. I started to tell him to put on a jacket, but I know where I'm at in the pecking order. Lol

Anybody ever ponder the question about Crist in that.....

We thought it was all Crist, but maybe it wasn't Crist after all. Maybe it was just Virginia High because the place has been pretty much unwinnable for decades, regardless of who the coach is.  For those who haven't pondered this question, it might be time to start giving it some consideration.

10 minutes ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

We thought it was all Crist, but maybe it wasn't Crist after all. Maybe it was just Virginia High because the place has been pretty much unwinnable for decades, regardless of who the coach is.  For those who haven't pondered this question, it might be time to start giving it some consideration.

I thought about that very thing as I was eating crow for breakfast this morning. 

26 minutes ago, Union_Fan said:

That's "Big Mike"

He was walking around on the field in BSG with a sleeveless shirt while it was still 40 degrees.

He definitely wants to be seen. I started to tell him to put on a jacket, but I know where I'm at in the pecking order. Lol

38 minutes ago, Hokiebird7 said:

My question for Graham fans is....who is that jacked up dude on your staff? Dude is a damn monster, but he sure wants everyone to see him lol

That’s Big Mike , strength and conditioning coach at Graham . My son has trained under him during the off season since the 8th grade . Although my son plays at Tazewell he treats him as if he was one of his kids at Graham . He is a great guy who loves working with these players. 

55 minutes ago, Hokiebird7 said:

His name is Mike Horton and he is one of the key pieces to Graham’s success since he’s the strength and conditioning coach. He also likes to yell a lot during warmups and sometimes I get scared. 

58 minutes ago, Wildcat/Chanticleer said:

That’s Big Mike , strength and conditioning coach at Graham . My son has trained under him during the off season since the 8th grade . Although my son plays at Tazewell he treats him as if he was one of his kids at Graham . He is a great guy who loves working with these players. 

He is the perfect type of role model/personality to have around young men. That’s what the world needs more of. 

1 hour ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Burrhead Bradley didn’t win there either.

8 hours ago, Hokiebird7 said:

Mike is one of the best guys you’d ever meet. His appearance is deceiving. He’s not at all the type that wants everyone to see him although one can’t help but notice him. He’s as humble and good hearted as they come. He truly cares about the kids. He does a great job as strength and conditioning coach and is a great motivator. 

17 hours ago, EH31 said:

Forget about yesterday. That game didn’t matter. It’s a best of 10 series from what I hear!

Tazewell must be playing a best of 30 series then. 

On 12/3/2023 at 2:12 AM, bucfan64 said:

This frustrates a lot of folks, but it isn't entirely about revenue. The league is trying to assure that fans and parents from different games aren't competing or being knocked out of prime seating to watch their respective games.

This has been an issue with basketball in the past. A venue fills up and fans don't always leave after the first game, which means fans arriving for second game end up with less seating and/or less desirable seating. In basketball, parents have literally been denied tickets at VCU to watch their kid play in the State Finals or Semis due to venue reaching capacity (due to multiple games being played).

The league has since tried to prevent this from occuring ever again. 

I get your beef, but there is a precedent that led to this type of decision and it isn't greed on the part of the league.

On 12/3/2023 at 7:03 AM, sixcat said:

I appreciate your explanation but it’s not my “beef.”  I was simply offering an overly simplified answer to the question “why such a long gap between games?”

I've been to multiple championships recently at both VCU and Salem Stadium. What you're saying at VCU for basketball and volleyball is/was absolutely correct. If the VHSL is claiming this change was necessary for football seating, it's completely bogus. You can show at kickoff and sit on the 35 or better, and virtually no one stays for both games. 

I believe the time change for FB came mostly from the direct requests of several football coaches.  Some of the concerns mentioned were locker room overlap issues at the various facilities, and teams/coaches/families being ushered off the fields after their games were completed.

On 12/3/2023 at 11:58 AM, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

This!  I read all season about how he was a bad coach and Radford may lose in the finals but he is a good coach.  I questioned hiring a coach with a losing record but look what he has done.  We could only field a JV or middle school team and now we have enough for both.  He is building and growing a program in a sport that is dying.  The kids really respond to him.  I think it's time to end the personal attacks.  

56 minutes ago, Wolf1207 said:

Other than Virginia High, where did Crist coach?

I'm not sure if Virginia High was his first head coaching gig. He did serve as an assistant under his dad at Blacksburg as well as being an assistant at Brookville and Amherst County.

1 hour ago, RadCat said:

This!  I read all season about how he was a bad coach and Radford may lose in the finals but he is a good coach.  I questioned hiring a coach with a losing record but look what he has done.  We could only field a JV or middle school team and now we have enough for both.  He is building and growing a program in a sport that is dying.  The kids really respond to him.  I think it's time to end the personal attacks.  

In all fairness, until this year, I recall some Radford folks badmouthing him. He’s obviously done a good job this year and deserves respect. He delegated responsibilities to his assistants in several areas this season and it was for the betterment of his team. A good head coach can recognize when it’s best to let others have input and handle some stuff. 

It seemed as if Radford knew what Graham was doing before they did it on Saturday.  They shifted players over to the side that Graham ran to seemingly every play.  I give credit to Radford's coach for being ultra prepared.  Graham's defense played well, I thought.  The offense didn't do enough to win that game.

Who is the O.C. for Graham now?  The play calling  this year reminded me of what they did a few years back when Dixon was the O.C.  

5 minutes ago, Real Sasquatch said:

It seemed as if Radford knew what Graham was doing before they did it on Saturday.  They shifted players over to the side that Graham ran to seemingly every play.  I give credit to Radford's coach for being ultra prepared.  Graham's defense played well, I thought.  The offense didn't do enough to win that game.

Who is the O.C. for Graham now?  The play calling  this year reminded me of what they did a few years back when Dixon was the O.C.  

Tony Palmer calls offense, I believe. I think I read that somewhere on this board at one point this year.