Richlands last year vs. this year

Swvafan72

Question for some of my Richlands guys and some of the fans of the teams that played them. I haven't got to go to any games this year due to my work schedule. Is Richlands better this year than they were last? I meant to ask this when they were undefeated, but I still think it's an interesting topic. They were really good last year from the games I got to watch, what do y'all think?

Funny you bring this up.  I work with a guy his boy played on the team last year and we had this very same discussion this morning.  The team from last year was a much better team.  Mostly because of the senior leadership at the time was much better.  Those guys were a really tight knit group that worked together on and off the field.  The leadership of Mance, Wade, Addison, Blankenship, Waldron, and many more is hard to replace.  The group this year seems to lack some of that.  Just my opinion from the outside looking in.  I'm not saying this year's team isn't good just not where they were last year.

A running game has truly been missed this year.   Abingdon definitely exposed that last week.

But to answer the question.  Yes, last year was a better team and much more balanced on offense.  I have been pleasantly surprised with this years defense thus far.

100% better last year. I usually don't like making these comparisons because there are so many variables, but this one is just too obvious. As everyone else has pointed out, the running game alone made the Blue Tornados were better last year, but 2. and I hate to define the whole season on one loss (because A. They had one loss against Union in previous years coming to Abingdon), but they didn't seem to have that knack that I feel would have led them to victory over Abingdon regardless of what scheme/gameplan Abingdon was running. That Richlands team from last year had that knack, and I don't think they would have lost to Abingdon under similar circumstances.

Another reason richlands was better last year was that Atkinson was better than Booker

Not sure why you felt the need to take a shot at Booker......perhaps because he hammered a nail or two in the coffin of his former team a few weeks ago...

Not sure why you felt the need to take a shot at Booker......perhaps because he hammered a nail or two in the coffin of his former team a few weeks ago...

Not meant to be a shot at booker. He made the best decision for himself going to Richlands.. he's had a bigger impact there than what I believe he would have had for Graham. But Austin was a special athlete that I felt never got the recognition he deserved for R'lands. He took over games at times on offense/defense/& returns.Now booker is playing more or less in the same role as Austin had last season but doesn't have the same impact.

A running game has truly been missed this year.

Mance is clearly addressing that issue now. I will be interested in seeing how they do out of the I when Howie and Lowe get back in pads.

Richlands needs to get more physical and get in the weight room more. Seniors need to step up and become better leaders on and off the field! Defense needs to be given more credit than what's been said it's a team effort and they've shown that this season so far not downing there offense but defense is the back bone of that team right now! They need to find a running back before playoff starts...still don't know why Mance haven't tried Devon's nephew at that position yet or is he just a defense player? Graham looked good tonight it's going to be a good game if they meet up in the playoffs!

Richlands has no excuse for not having a running game. They have had multiple games to develop a running game (Gate City, Virginia High, Bluefield,  Tazewell, Grundy) They have a a few guys who could play running back. Dylan Elswick for example, which has always played RB until the past year. Sure Codie Howie will make a good running back, but it will be obvious to what Richlands will be running when he goes from WR to RB. Well they are moving Howie to running back must be planning to throw it deep. I mean come on. 

Richlands has no excuse for not having a running game. They have had multiple games to develop a running game (Gate City, Virginia High, Bluefield, Tazewell, Grundy) They have a a few guys who could play running back. Dylan Elswick for example, which has always played RB until the past year. Sure Codie Howie will make a good running back, but it will be obvious to what Richlands will be running when he goes from WR to RB. Well they are moving Howie to running back must be planning to throw it deep. I mean come on.

Who needs coach Mance when we have the sheer genius of local insight?

Which member of the team is your wannabe running back relative?