Tazewell Football

Gunz9

Be nice to see while there are still 3 teams!

I don't think the county ever consolidates. If you go to one school, it will be a 4A school in the middle of A and AA schools. If you go to two, you have some odd districting lines in or around Tazewell to see where kids go east and where they go west. 

If the coal industry doesn't pick back up.... consolidation may be inevitable.  Not sure why county officials haven't tried to bring in more business and manufacturing in the past ohhh 50 or 60 years, however to diversify the economy a little bit.  

ATV trails isn't going to cut it.

If the coal industry doesn't pick back up.... consolidation may be inevitable.  Not sure why county officials haven't tried to bring in more business and manufacturing in the past ohhh 50 or 60 years, however to diversify the economy a little bit.  

Because they are too stuck in their ways to realize that coal is, unfortunately, dying quickly. It's not coming back. 

I don't think the county ever consolidates. If you go to one school, it will be a 4A school in the middle of A and AA schools. If you go to two, you have some odd districting lines in or around Tazewell to see where kids go east and where they go west.

5A. And comfortably.

At least you have Franklin County in 6A and Carroll/Pulaski in 4A. 5A is a wasteland west of Roanoke.

ATV trails generate more crime and individuals who ride their ATV'S to the store with their 3 year old on the front. See it all the time in the County. At this point I'm not sure the juice is worth the squeeze with them. It would be tough for kids in Burke ' s Garden to go to Graham or Richlands. That would be a long haul.

If the coal industry doesn't pick back up.... consolidation may be inevitable. Not sure why county officials haven't tried to bring in more business and manufacturing in the past ohhh 50 or 60 years, however to diversify the economy a little bit.

County officials are trying, that I can assure you. And Tazewell is more proactive than most. Much happens outside the County's control.

ATV trails have never promised to be THE solution, but a solution in a 21st century economy. Diversity is the key, but it is harder than ever to achieve when liberal politics pushes all infrastructure to the cities.

ATV trails generate more crime and individuals who ride their ATV'S to the store with their 3 year old on the front. See it all the time in the County. At this point I'm not sure the juice is worth the squeeze with them. It would be tough for kids in Burke ' s Garden to go to Graham or Richlands. That would be a long haul.

Your first sentence is statistically untrue. Your second is anecdotal. Your third doesn't see the millions (plural) in investments into SWVA that wouldn't have existed otherwise. Your fourth and fifth are right on the money.

It's going to happen, only question is when! It's happening all around us, it's just at matter of time!

It's going to happen, only question is when! It's happening all around us, it's just at matter of time!

It makes 0 sense in the county. Some kids would see nearly an hour drive to a singular school. You'd be a 5A school in the middle of NO schools even close to that size. In sports, you'd play in a conference for post season play where the closest trip would likely be 3 or 4 hours. It's not feasible unless each school drops to 200/250 kids each. And none of them are at that point yet. 

Well for one thing if and when it's done, they are not going to worry about sports in the deciding factor!

I think they should worry about it. Sports have a necessity of travel, which goes into the budget. Makes a difference when you're traveling 5 and 6 hour round trips for a Tuesday night soccer match.

I think they should worry about it. Sports have a necessity of travel, which goes into the budget. Makes a difference when you're traveling 5 and 6 hour round trips for a Tuesday night soccer match.

All this is true, but sports is not gonna keep it from happening. It's not hard to understand!

The points about the long-term impacts of any proposed consolidation are well made from all contributors.  I'd add the fact that the VHSL needs to give its classification system some serious attention and review.  A big part of the problem might be that 6 classifications are simply too many.  Issues of equity could possibly be addressed by having one group for the smallest schools (below a certain threshold), one for the largest (above a particular standard), and two in between.  This would theoretically reduce the number of "outliers" who are adversely affected by the current system through little or no fault of their own.  Just a thought.

Back to the topic of the subject header, this looks to be a very sensible and mutually beneficial hire all around.  Strong Tazewell programs are good for the entire county (and region) and this arrangement should be a good one for the Colobro family.  Here's hoping that it works out.

Your first sentence is statistically untrue. Your second is anecdotal. Your third doesn't see the millions (plural) in investments into SWVA that wouldn't have existed otherwise. Your fourth and fifth are right on the money.

The ATV trails are putting money in economy's that don't even have trails. Such as Bristol, Washington Co., Smyth Co. you just can't see it.

Back to the topic if THS wants the football program to grow and get back to what it used to be, they will not let anyone interfere with Colobro.

if THS wants the football program to grow and get back to what it used to be, they will not let anyone interfere with Colobro.

That's like telling a fat kid to not eat the piece of chocolate cake sitting in front of him...

That's like telling a fat kid to not eat the piece of chocolate cake sitting in front of him...

You shouldn't use such an offensive analogy ;) just kidding. I could be that kid.

We'll see. If this does turn out as the many others have there will never be a case to take this fan base seriously again.     

The ATV trails are putting money in economy's that don't even have trails. Such as Bristol, Washington Co., Smyth Co. you just can't see it.

Back to the topic if THS wants the football program to grow and get back to what it used to be, they will not let anyone interfere with Colobro.

Indeed, Washington County has benefitted from Spearhead, just as the 7 counties and the City of Norton have. That includes Russell County, who has no trails but has been the largest beneficiary of St. Paul's meals tax revenue increase.

Let's just say, I'm intimately familiar with Spearhead. :)

Thought some of you Tazewell fans would like to see this quote:

"If we ever stop pushing you, stop pointing out your mistakes, stop telling you what you can do to make this or that better, one of two things has happened. 1. You've gotten so good that you do nothing wrong. There is nothing more we can fix or correct. 2. We've given up on you. Let me assure you that neither of those two things are ever going to happen."   ~ Nick Colobro

Thought some of you Tazewell fans would like to see this quote:

"If we ever stop pushing you, stop pointing out your mistakes, stop telling you what you can do to make this or that better, one of two things has happened. 1. You've gotten so good that you do nothing wrong. There is nothing more we can fix or correct. 2. We've given up on you. Let me assure you that neither of those two things are ever going to happen." ~ Nick Colobro

He preached this all the time at Gate City.

So glad to see Coach Colobro back in Tazewell again. There is a buzz back in the community like I haven't seen in a while. I guarantee you they will go back to the basics of blocking, tackling, and being in tip top shape. That's as much about football as X's and O's. I think too often this day and age people overlook the basics and focus on running the Pistol formation and Jet sweeps, etc.