Richlands vs Graham

local_insight

Back earlier on this thread I made a prediction that Richlands would beat Graham by 30 I still hold that if this game would have happened in Richlands on the day it was previously scheduled it would have been a lopsided win by Richlands.  With this game coming up next Thursday a lot has changed.  Graham has improved a lot. I don't think Richlands will be ready for the defence Graham has built.  I still give Richlands the edge but only because they are home.  I think either team could win this game today.

With Morgan back.. I'll give Graham the edge. Dalton has to stay out of foul trouble.. But Graham has a deep bench..

I just want Carlock to refuse to take the ball first and force a jump ball. Every possession counts...why let Richlands dictate how the game starts. At least send the message that Graham will dictate how this game will go.

As a Richlands fan, I have never understood conceding the first possession to the other team.  When you have Scottie Ball who is very capable of winning a few tips.

As far as putting your shortest guy to tip.  That is exactly what happened this past Monday night between Lebanon and Richlands.  The Lebanon player was probably 3-4" shorter than Richlands Ethan Ratliff was.  When I seen him there, I thought for sure the Lebanon coach had been reading this thread lol.  The kid did however "win" the tip. 

I have had a chance to see the Ball kid play on a few occasions, a naturally skilled athlete for sure.  every time I watched him he did amazing things in football and basketball.  I watched GW go man to man  late in the forth quarter and was confused  why the floor wasn't spread and let Ball play whoever was on him one on one and if double teamed kick it out to one of the three point shooters but that didn't happen.  I think with his skills (at least the times I have watched them) he is under used. The kid can do it all , dunk, shoot the three, dribble etc....

As a Richlands fan, I have never understood conceding the first possession to the other team.  When you have Scottie Ball who is very capable of winning a few tips.

As far as putting your shortest guy to tip.  That is exactly what happened this past Monday night between Lebanon and Richlands.  The Lebanon player was probably 3-4" shorter than Richlands Ethan Ratliff was.  When I seen him there, I thought for sure the Lebanon coach had been reading this thread lol.  The kid did however "win" the tip. 

Maybe their coach DOES read this board...

fd70948dcffc9c927ca5e532432c49bb.jpg

I have had a chance to see the Ball kid play on a few occasions, a naturally skilled athlete for sure. every time I watched him he did amazing things in football and basketball. I watched GW go man to man late in the forth quarter and was confused why the floor wasn't spread and let Ball play whoever was on him one on one and if double teamed kick it out to one of the three point shooters but that didn't happen. I think with his skills (at least the times I have watched them) he is under used. The kid can do it all , dunk, shoot the three, dribble etc....

He's he best player on the team but he has the wrong last name.

Back on 1/5 when this ball game was called off for bad weather I think Richland would have hammered Graham by at least 30.  21 days or 3 weeks later will bring us to 1/26 where I predict Richland still wins by 9 to 15.  Richland 75 Graham 63

Back on 1/5 when this ball game was called off for bad weather I think Richland would have hammered Graham by at least 30.  21 days or 3 weeks later will bring us to 1/26 where I predict Richland still wins by 9 to 15.  Richland 75 Graham 63

They could very well split home and away.  

They could very well split home and away.  

They could... but the first one @ Richlands is all that matters sadly. 

I think it is a toss up. Graham has improved a ton over the past month and Richlands seems to be a really good team one night and a head scratcher the next. Hands down Richlands SHOULD win... A lot of seniors and depth but Carlock has Richlands' number.

Thursday should be a fun one!

I'm thinking they will split also.   Why I favor Richlands so much in this first one is because they have been home and will be rested.  Graham has had a stretch of away games and will be tired.  Both teams rested I like Graham strictly because of Carlock and Grahams improvement.  To me Richlands seems to have went a touch backwards since the Virginia High tournament.  I kinda disagreed with Gman earlier in the season but I have to admit he was right , I think the soft schedule will bite Richlands in the end.

Why I favor Richlands so much in this first one is because they have been home and will be rested.  Graham has had a stretch of away games and will be tired.

You better check yo'self...Graham's last five games have been at home.  Tonight, though, they do have a whopper of a road trip to Bland Co., but fortunately, they'll have two days off before they play at Richlands...

Richlands, on the other hand, has played 3 of their last 4 on the road, but play Lebanon at home on Tuesday before playing Graham on one day's rest on Thursday...

You better check yo'self...Graham's last five games have been at home. Tonight, though, they do have a whopper of a road trip to Bland Co., but fortunately, they'll have two days off before they play at Richlands...

Richlands, on the other hand, has played 3 of their last 4 on the road, but play Lebanon at home on Tuesday before playing Graham on one day's rest on Thursday...

You better check yo'self...Richlands has played 4 of its last 6 at home, with whopping trips to Tazewell and Lebanon being the two road games. They play at home vs Lebanon tomorrow before getting Graham on Thursday.

Richlands didn't even play a home game until 2017 had rolled around.

You better check yo'self...Richlands has played 4 of its last 6 at home, with whopping trips to Tazewell and Lebanon being the two road games. They play at home vs Lebanon tomorrow before getting Graham on Thursday.

Richlands didn't even play a home game until 2017 had rolled around.

1/16 @ Lebanon 65-41 W

1/17 @ Tazewell 77-35 W

1/19 Twin Valley 83-49 W

1/21 @ Grundy 79-54 W

1/24 Lebanon

1/26 Graham

Looks like 3 of last 4 on the road with Lebanon at home and one day rest before playing Graham...as I said...

Either way, Richlands has been on the road more in the last 10 days than Graham, and Graham will be coming in more...

1/16 @ Lebanon 65-41 W

1/17 @ Tazewell 77-35 W

1/19 Twin Valley 83-49 W

1/21 @ Grundy 79-54 W

1/24 Lebanon

1/26 Graham

Looks like 3 of last 4 on the road with Lebanon at home and one day rest before playing Graham...as I said...

Checkmate...

1/10 - Abingdon

1/13 - Virginia

1/16 - @ Lebanon

1/17 - @ Tazewell

1/19 - Twin Valley

1/21 - Grundy

1/24 - Lebanon

1/26 - Graham

That Grundy game was a home game, not a road game.

4 of last 6 at home, with short trips to Lebanon and Tazewell.

Checkmate. :)

You guys only beat Grundy by 25 at home???  Yikes...

Could have been more, had Richlands not taken the foot off the gas so early. The usually call off the press in the 3rd quarter and the score margin stays pretty steady.

I don't know if this is good news or bad news but the radio guy was surprised that Richlands did compete for the opening tip last night against Lebanon.  They lost it then got a steal and drove for a layup and scored.  I guess you can't teach an old dog new tricks!

What if the other team wamts to concede the jump?

I have only seen this done once and it happened at a Richlands game. Their opponent also conceded the opening tip. Both benches were given a delay of game warning and the tip was retried. This time Richlands opponent (sorry I don't recall the team) won the jump.

With the much anticipated game tomorrow night between the Gmen and Blues, I feel the intensity level will be 10 on the Reitcher scale for players and fans.    For the Blues to come away with the win, the key components must be:

1--Scottie Ball having a big night on both ends of the floor, going inside to score and a big night on the boards in rebounding.

2--The Horn brothers, Caleb and Taylor must do the same.  They have a chemistry with each other when both are on the floor together,  and it needs to be finely tuned for the game.

3--Luke Phillips will get his points,  which I hope will be above his average points per game which is 20. 

GO BLUES

Thinking back on this, if a team is always conceding the tip  to "setup their press" why would anyone tip it backwards?  I think I would tip to a forward angle and have 2 others breaking toward the basket to put pressure on them.  Leave one person back for D purposes and your jumper and the other 3 are trying score/draw a foul.

I don't like that the first matchup (at least in the SEC anyway) is the one and only one that counts toward the standings.

I don't like the way the CMC does theirs either, but at least theirs is a little clearer, with both matchups awarding a point for a win in the standings, and everyone's matchup with Lebanon counting as two points.