So who wins 1D?

BigWinners

1 hour ago, IRISH-FAN18 said:

If GW beats Galax or losses by a close margin next Friday, then sweet holy mosses Grundy will have Region C on notice too!

Galax had 4 unforced turnovers and looked to be just going through the motions in the first half. Probably the worst first half they played in a long time. Fort is a middle of the road team at best but they play hard and the longer you let a team like that hang around the bigger chance they have at pulling the upset. If Galax plays like that against a good team they will get smoked. Galax has a lot of potential but they will have to clean up the mistakes and play full games instead of half a games if they want to make another run.

Looks like Grundy and Patrick Henry are the frontrunners in D.  Rural Retreat lost to George Wythe and Patrick Henry very close, so maybe they have a chance, but I don't know how they lost to Grayson County by 40 points.  Rye Cove has a good record, but Calpreps has them losing by 24 points to Grundy

Grundy 41, Rye Cove 17

13 minutes ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Looks like Grundy and Patrick Henry are the frontrunners in D.  Rural Retreat lost to George Wythe and Patrick Henry very close, so maybe they have a chance, but I don't know how they lost to Grayson County by 40 points.  Rye Cove has a good record, but Calpreps has them losing by 24 points to Grundy

Grundy 41, Rye Cove 17

After watching Rye Cove and Burton in back to back weeks, I think the Raiders win comfortably in that matchup. Too much speed for the Eagles to contain. They could very well win the region after a slow start to the year. 

19 minutes ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Grundy 41, Rye Cove 17

I agree unless JI Burton can use its speed and get a few turnovers against these two teams.

GW and PH both barley got by Rural Retreat and Grundy dismantled GW so if you by that alone you would give the edge to Grundy. I haven't seen and D teams in person other than the little bit i seen at the GW jamboree before the actual season started and I don't believe any contenders out of 1D were there that day. As of now I'm going with Grundy to represent 1d.

3 minutes ago, MT FAN 91 said:

GW and PH both barley got by Rural Retreat and Grundy dismantled GW so if you by that alone you would give the edge to Grundy. I haven't seen and D teams in person other than the little bit i seen at the GW jamboree before the actual season started and I don't believe any contenders out of 1D were there that day. As of now I'm going with Grundy to represent 1d.

It does seem like Grundy is starting to separate from the rest of 1D.

3 minutes ago, MT FAN 91 said:

Don’t forget, PH beat Grundy head-to-head in week 1. Both may have changed, but they may be a favorable matchup against each other.

6 minutes ago, tornado99 said:

Don’t forget, PH beat Grundy head-to-head in week 1. Both may have changed, but they may be a favorable matchup against each other.

If they meet again it will probably be played at Emory and Henry if PH has homefield

Have seen Rye Cove, PH, Lebanon, Grundy, Holston, Northwood, Honaker, and RR play. PH and Grundy are a cut above in that group from what I’ve seen. Both have played relatively strong schedules so far, both have awesome RBs (probably the best in Region D in Scammell and McFail), and have good enough defenses. The turnaround at Rye Cove is impressive and their coach probably should win COTY, but they’ve benefited from an easy schedule so far and have pulled out a couple of close games against average teams. Play sound football on both sides of the ball but don’t see them making the finals. Rural Retreat, Lebanon, and maybe Holston would be in the next tier for me of the teams I’ve seen. RR is solid and Lebanon in particular could play spoiler. Their defense has some problems but when they can keep the QB protected and their passing attack gets rolling, they can put up some points. Honaker is a sieve on defense. Their offense is pretty good but we’ve seen what happens when they play a good team in Grundy. Until they played Lebanon, NW played arguably the easiest schedule in SWVA and struggled to beat arguably historically bad Marion and Chilhowie teams. They are inept on offense and I don’t see them winning another game unless their defense can create some points. Haven’t seen Burton but heard they are putting things together.

2 hours ago, swvaballclub said:

Have seen Rye Cove, PH, Lebanon, Grundy, Holston, Northwood, Honaker, and RR play. PH and Grundy are a cut above in that group from what I’ve seen. Both have played relatively strong schedules so far, both have awesome RBs (probably the best in Region D in Scammell and McFail), and have good enough defenses. The turnaround at Rye Cove is impressive and their coach probably should win COTY, but they’ve benefited from an easy schedule so far and have pulled out a couple of close games against average teams. Play sound football on both sides of the ball but don’t see them making the finals. Rural Retreat, Lebanon, and maybe Holston would be in the next tier for me of the teams I’ve seen. RR is solid and Lebanon in particular could play spoiler. Their defense has some problems but when they can keep the QB protected and their passing attack gets rolling, they can put up some points. Honaker is a sieve on defense. Their offense is pretty good but we’ve seen what happens when they play a good team in Grundy. Until they played Lebanon, NW played arguably the easiest schedule in SWVA and struggled to beat arguably historically bad Marion and Chilhowie teams. They are inept on offense and I don’t see them winning another game unless their defense can create some points. Haven’t seen Burton but heard they are putting things together.

Excellent analysis. I do think Lebanon could knock off Rural Retreat and Holston. I wouldn't be surprised ifthey won both of those games. I do think they will at least split. I see them going 6-4 or 7-3. They definitely would be a hard opening playoff game for any of the teams. You can never count up a JI Burton team in the playoffs. They are always dangerous. My top 6 in region D are in no order,  Grundy, PH, (Lebanon,  Rural Retreat, Holston) and Burton. 

If all 3 win out, they should finish something like this...

Rank Team Record Total Points Rating
01.) Pat Henry-GS 8-2 219 21.9
02.) Grundy 6-3 192 21.33333
03.) Rye Cove 8-1 185 20.55556

PH definitely has the easiest path. Rye Cove has Burton left and Grundy has Burton and Central to go.

18 minutes ago, bucfan64 said:

Grundy will win 1D - if they don't it will not be because they don't have the talent. (I know they lost to PH earlier, but that was earlier)

I didn’t watch game 1, but agree that Grundy should win 1D. The RB duo seems to have really come to front behind a solid offensive line. My biggest worry is can they recover from a miscue that causes them to play from behind? Not predicting it, but I would love to see a vintage Grundy team go far, featuring a Scammel nonetheless like 1996-1997.

On 10/3/2022 at 11:08 PM, BigWinners said:

Title says it all. In a very down year, what team will come out on top and earn the right to get crushed by Galax or GW? 

You must have been watching band highlights this past Friday, Grundy beat George Wythe.

37 minutes ago, BretLowe said:

Grundy has the best team in Region D and C. 

Galax is right there with em. Come playoff time, the Maroon Tide are going to be battle tested with the likes of Graham and Radford and some other tough class 1 schools. If all things are equal (and they are pretty close on the field this year) Galax has the more difficult schedule advantage in my opinion, and they have been there and done that. If both teams get that far, you and I both know Grundy has its hands full (as does Galax).

Right now, the website on the left coast has it at 31-21 Galax over Grundy. 

PH and George Wythe are good. George Wythe is not at full strength and wasn't at full strength against Graham or Grundy. You could see a state semifinal game possibly that has George Wythe vs PH in it.

6 hours ago, BretLowe said:

Grundy has the best team in Region D and C. 

I don't have a dog in the 1A Region D or C teams but a fully healthy GW might beat Grundy with no problem. It's not 100% a given and Grundy may end up in Salem over the Region C Champion. If they do, I'll cheer for them being from SWVA. But any team on any day can lose for a myriad of reasons. I just wouldn't count those chickens before they hatch. 

On 10/10/2022 at 10:02 AM, swvaballclub said:

One of those average teams beat the number two ranked 1A team in WVA.