Week 8 Scores/Updates

Graham32

3 minutes ago, jarhead24219 said:

Va High is very good , maybe 2nd or 3 rd best team in the region, it’s going to be hard to defend the GMEN now they have the power game

I’m not sure I’d go that far.  Graham was playing with an arm tied behind its back, so a “closer” game was certainly in the cards.  Ultimately, a partially-functional Graham team is doubling up VHS in the 4th.  VHS’s schedule has been very soft to put it mildly.  Tazewell drilled VHS in Week 1 in the only other game VHS has played against what I’d consider a Top 10 team in SWVA.  VHS needed OT to escape a notedly average Central team.  

4 minutes ago, Liam McPoyle said:

Will Graham have its full roster next week?

They will still be missing a couple, will get a couple back.  If they play like they did tonight, I like their chances.  Can't wait for next week, PC likes to run a power game, could be an old fashioned slobber knocker.

A random observation while watching on NFHS. Despite being around 50 years old, Virginia High's stadium is in great shape. It seems stadiums maintained by municipal parks and rec departments (e.g. Gene Malcolm, Bullitt, Mitchell, Salem) tend to be better maintained than on-campus stadiums. 

46 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

I’m not sure I’d go that far.  Graham was playing with an arm tied behind its back, so a “closer” game was certainly in the cards.  Ultimately, a partially-functional Graham team is doubling up VHS in the 4th.  VHS’s schedule has been very soft to put it mildly.  Tazewell drilled VHS in Week 1 in the only other game VHS has played against what I’d consider a Top 10 team in SWVA.  VHS needed OT to escape a notedly average Central team.  

Go gmen …..

52 minutes ago, swva_havok_fan said:

I think Virginia High looked better than Ridgeview tonight. Granted I've only seen both once. But I don't like a Virginia High and Ridgeview matchup in the Wolfpack's favor. Virginia High can sling it. Ridgeview can't defend it. 

I don’t know. Virginia’s Oline and defense are weak. I think they score 21-28 but I don’t see them keeping RV under 30.  We haven’t seen RV’s pass defense get tested too much but I do think there are some weaknesses there.

2 hours ago, Real Sasquatch said:

They will still be missing a couple, will get a couple back.  If they play like they did tonight, I like their chances.  Can't wait for next week, PC likes to run a power game, could be an old fashioned slobber knocker.

The O Line & D Line were strong tonight even with several playing different positions and missing serveral.  The players that had to take up the slack with others missing, did very well.  I was impressed with the overall performance of on both sides of the ball.  Anyone who said, Graham couldn't win this one without Clements, was wrong. I'm not saying Graham beats a RIdgeview with a number of players out but this team tonight came out to make a statement and they certainly did. The coaches had those boys prepared. A lot of those kids got great experience tonight which should serve them and the team well.  Congratulations, GMen! 

425 rushing yds? That's just stupid ground and pound. Just plain stupid. Good Lord.  If Graham has its OL and DL intact in the playoffs, I'm telling ya, they will be tough to handle. Teams that win 28 to 7 and 38 to 13 by a heavy dose of run first and an efficient "when it's needed" passing game has higher chances to go the distance compared to a team that wins 52-7 and passes it first, then gets into a playoff situation that requires them to run "when needed" and all of a sudden, it's not so easy. I have no clue if Graham gets past the first game of the region, but in looking at the big picture, and I said this in week 2, I see absolutely no LESS chance of Graham playing for a state title and possibly winning it compared to last year. 

The scoring margins aren't as wide, but the rushing numbers are wider, and in cold weather come late playoff time, that's an invaluable tool and longtime (not always, but often) difference maker. 

• GMan locked this topic