Transfer Portal

UnionGuy2017

On 6/29/2023 at 10:41 PM, Gridiron60 said:

@SwvaOG Did the O’Quinn boy stay at Ridgeview or transfer? 

Stayed at RV.  Much bigger, stronger and noticeably faster.  Did well running track this spring.  Look for RV to, frankly, run the hell outta him this year.  If they are smart, they’ll use him on defense this year.  Was shocked they didn’t deploy him on D last year.  His days of throwing for 2600+ yards a year might be over though.  

1 hour ago, SwvaOG said:

Stayed at RV.  Much bigger, stronger and noticeably faster.  Did well running track this spring.  Look for RV to, frankly, run the hell outta him this year.  If they are smart, they’ll use him on defense this year.  Was shocked they didn’t deploy him on D last year. 

If you can get away with it I wouldn’t play the starting QB both ways

42 minutes ago, Hokiebird7 said:

It's high school....put your best players out there where they can help the team...usually the QB is one of your better players/athletes....play them both ways if he can help you win games

I agree if he can help you win go for it but I started that with if you can get away with it. If you got a kid that you can plug in on D and your QB doesn’t have to play both ways that’s the way to go

On 7/1/2023 at 6:54 PM, Jags52 said:

I agree if he can help you win go for it but I started that with if you can get away with it. If you got a kid that you can plug in on D and your QB doesn’t have to play both ways that’s the way to go

I thought he would have been a difference maker last year if they would have played him on D.  He would have been a top 3-4 defender on the team and would have replaced a kid that was often targeted by the opponent's offense.  I've often thought he would have had a future as a LB...likes to hit and has frame to be 6'3", 225-230.

3 hours ago, SwvaOG said:

I thought he would have been a difference maker last year if they would have played him on D.  He would have been a top 3-4 defender on the team and would have replaced a kid that was often targeted by the opponent's offense.  I've often thought he would have had a future as a LB...likes to hit and has frame to be 6'3", 225-230.

That’s true there is just a few cautionary tales especially if you plan on running the QB a lot just look at VA High last year. All I’m saying is you lose a LB your defense has a hole in it that can be fixed with good coaching. You lose QB1 because he get 20 carries a game and is having to make 15 tackles you get to the end of the year and the kid is a shell of what he started the season at

On 7/3/2023 at 9:01 PM, Jags52 said:

That’s true there is just a few cautionary tales especially if you plan on running the QB a lot just look at VA High last year. All I’m saying is you lose a LB your defense has a hole in it that can be fixed with good coaching. You lose QB1 because he get 20 carries a game and is having to make 15 tackles you get to the end of the year and the kid is a shell of what he started the season at

Oh, I don't think he should be carrying it 20 times a game at all.  I would say between 10-12 times would be effective.  Now, once you are in the playoffs and its win-or-go-home, I absolutely believe you put all your horses on the field and let them run..offense and defense.  Graham plays their QB both ways and fully understands the concept of playing with your best 11 and getting the ball to your playmakers.  

On 7/5/2023 at 11:59 AM, SwvaOG said:

Oh, I don't think he should be carrying it 20 times a game at all.  I would say between 10-12 times would be effective.  Now, once you are in the playoffs and its win-or-go-home, I absolutely believe you put all your horses on the field and let them run..offense and defense.  Graham plays their QB both ways and fully understands the concept of playing with your best 11 and getting the ball to your playmakers.  

I don't think the QB will play both ways for Graham this year, I believe the starter will be a sophomore, they should be well represented on defense.  But yes, in the past, the best player at the position has played for Graham, it seems.

I think Grahams QB played linebacker as well. I agree, play your best 11 both ways. There is always some risk with anything. Even Grahams QB got hurt last year, I don't know if it was on O or D, but it didn't bite Graham as he came back. 

But, the year before that, Grahams QB Also played linebacker and it bit Graham. Again, I don't know if he had the lower limb fracture from O or D, but there is some risk.

Even Ronald Curry at Hampton High played defense (safety) on those nationally recognized teams.

21 hours ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

I think Grahams QB played linebacker as well. I agree, play your best 11 both ways. There is always some risk with anything. Even Grahams QB got hurt last year, I don't know if it was on O or D, but it didn't bite Graham as he came back. 

But, the year before that, Grahams QB Also played linebacker and it bit Graham. Again, I don't know if he had the lower limb fracture from O or D, but there is some risk.

Even Ronald Curry at Hampton High played defense (safety) on those nationally recognized teams.

Yep.  Ridgeview should have had the kid on the field against Graham when it's win or go home.  Now, it wouldn't make sense to have him out there against teams you're beating 40-0.  He was a measurable upgrade at one of the DB positions, bigger, faster, stronger and likes to hit.   Hell, you could have just said, "Shadow #5" and it would have been better that what RV's D was doing.  These 2A teams have to realize they don't have 900-1100 students anymore....it's 500-600 for most of them.  If you are trying to win the game, you must play your best 11, period.  In this day of load-management, it should be easy to implement. 

• 2 weeks later...

22 minutes ago, Mountain Football said:

Are you wanting the total for now? Still got a couple weeks until official practice starts.

Added to that, did he want the total (at present) from Bluefield, WV, only (since he mentioned Bluefield)?  Or, did he wants totals from McDowell County, Bland County, and Princeton/the rest of Mercer County?

I "heard" Graham got a kid coming from Switchback, WV that is 6"10, 350 pounds, and runs a 4'5 forty, and plays halfback.

2 hours ago, LacesOutDan23 said:

So what is Graham final tally of Transfer Portal players? Ive been hearing alot of Bluefield defectors.

You heard wrong. The answer is zero. But they are making the trek to western McDowell County to look for anymore Johnsons that want to play for a winner. We've got a sweet deal to house players in the Mullins building for a buck.

1 hour ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Added to that, did he want the total (at present) from Bluefield, WV, only (since he mentioned Bluefield)?  Or, did he wants totals from McDowell County, Bland County, and Princeton/the rest of Mercer County?

I "heard" Graham got a kid coming from Switchback, WV that is 6"10, 350 pounds, and runs a 4'5 forty, and plays halfback.

He runs 4’4 forty and plays Quarterback and Receiver u oughta see him throw the deep ball and make the catch 

8 minutes ago, Real Sasquatch said:

And the hatin begins...

For real…official practice hasn’t even started, lol. If it makes any difference to the haters , GMen have been hitting weight room hard & heavy since January. All those “transfers” will have to play catch up with the returning GMen. 😂😂😂 it sure feels good to know football is back! 😂😂😂

5 minutes ago, Real Sasquatch said:

Here we go again....  First the Graham Haters, next up the Tazewell bashers.

Football is officially back.

Hey @BandanaVTDavis4321 did the guy that was on here in the fall talking trash about the strength and conditioning at Giles get them lined out in the offseason?

2 minutes ago, Mountain Football said:

Football is officially back.

Hey @BandanaVTDavis4321 did the guy that was on here in the fall talking trash about the strength and conditioning at Giles get them lined out in the offseason?

Lol.  I'm sure that dude is on top of things.

11 hours ago, Mountain Football said:

Are you wanting the total for now? Still got a couple weeks until official practice starts.

I am sure it will change. Cousins moving, Rt. 52 pipeline. We could do a before and after.