Bold predictions

Jags52

3 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

The youth football system was in full-fledged collapse in Mance’s final years here.  We’re seeing the effects of that now.  While not perfect, you can look at youth leagues and extrapolate pretty well what these teams will look like in 7-10 years.  Even now, some places have positioned themselves well, while others should have alarm bells sounding.

Bingo! I counted 60-70 on the 3 GC little league teams combined for this year and noticed several others were asking how to sign up. A couple of years ago we had 26 players on varsity and thankfully the interest and desire has seemed to have returned. 

Question for ya'll.  How does one improve the Little Leagues or keep them from low turn out?  What methods can the Head Coach of the High School use or what tools are used to increase turnout and growth?  I'm asking because I've never looked into it and simply don't know how they do it.  For example at GC? why the massive turnaround in the Little Leagues?  Is it by chance, luck, just the way ebbs and flows of the local populations and their preferences go?  Is it absolutely not by chance or luck or an ebb or flow, but is it leadership, or a combo of both related to the increase compared to a few years ago?  UVA Observer wrote about how Richlands Little Leagues were in trouble at the end of Mance's timeframe as coach (while he was still Head Coach).  Why?  Was this on Mance, chance, luck, etc? Thanks in advance.

29 minutes ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Question for ya'll.  How does one improve the Little Leagues or keep them from low turn out?  What methods can the Head Coach of the High School use or what tools are used to increase turnout and growth?  I'm asking because I've never looked into it and simply don't know how they do it.  For example at GC? why the massive turnaround in the Little Leagues?  Is it by chance, luck, just the way ebbs and flows of the local populations and their preferences go?  Is it absolutely not by chance or luck or an ebb or flow, but is it leadership, or a combo of both related to the increase compared to a few years ago?  UVA Observer wrote about how Richlands Little Leagues were in trouble at the end of Mance's timeframe as coach (while he was still Head Coach).  Why?  Was this on Mance, chance, luck, etc? Thanks in advance.

Be involved. From the players/cheerleaders, parents, coaches, and officers. Everyone has to be involved and on the same page for it to grow. Ego and the HS glory days are left at the door.  If you can show them that the future is bright then they will help see it through.

49 minutes ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

I think its important to get the HS kids involved with the little league even if it's just for a 2 or 3 day camp. I'm pretty sure Palmer still does this at Graham where the HS kids help run a camp for the kids. It may not seem like a big deal to adults but to a 6 year old being able to see a varsity player up close and personal is a big deal to them. You'd be surprised how much they look up to those varsity players. I think most schools have a little league night that allows the kids to have their name announced and run out on the field on Friday night. That's a couple things that come to mind. 

Aside from that don't allow a complete jackass that's on an ego trip be coach helps as well😂

Having been involved in getting the 8-man sandlot league developed for Galax, I will offer our process.

Our priority was to get the high school involved. Coaches and players! Considering our league was the idea of Mark Dixon, that step was easy. The high school players officiate the youth league games (and get paid for their time). The high school coaches are often in attendance and help youth league coaches teach basic fundamentals. It becomes an entire community operation.

Second, we wanted good people involved in the operation. Coaches and parents that were respected within the community. Having skin in the game is often a positive thing but that's not typically the case with youth sports. Parents can get a little too emotionally invested, resulting in situations that become embarrassing and lead to a drop in participation. Most people don't take youth sports too seriously. They just want their child to enjoy the experience. If they get something rewarding out of it, that's a bonus. But if the process becomes more painful than it's worth, many parents will find something else for their their kids to get involved with and avoid those parents we have all encountered at youth sporting events. Often, as has historically been the case in Galax, they will take their kids to a neighboring league with a better reputation. Galax, Carroll and Grayson have always traded "top-dog" programs over the past 50 years. I know parents locally that took their kids to Mount Airy, NC to avoid the asshats locally. Those people can't be the face of your league! Initially, and for the first decade, our coaches were school system administrators, local business owners, teachers, police officers, city government officials, doctors, dentists, etc. That has dropped off in recent years and you are seeing the result play out at the high school every Friday night for the past year.

Third, someone has to be the face of the league. The person in charge. Preferably someone that commands respect, is willing to lead by example, and isn't afraid to get in someones a** if need be. Galax lost that with the passing of Bud Nelson and the last few years have been bleak. The coaches in Galax now are daddy's who think their kid is the next Caleb Spurlin, despite the fact that daddy is 5'-6" tall and weighs 140 pounds. Keep those people away from the operation of the league. If they insist, let them run the concession stand. 

Last, It's been my experience, fundamentals are far more important in sandlot football than learning the high school offense. Mark Dixon taught us that in 2010 and we took his advice and ran with it. If our kids were fundamentally sound before 8th grade, he could spend more time teaching the nuances of the game and less time focusing on basic fundamental. Don't get bogged down with X's and O's. If Mark Dixon didn't think X's and O's were as important to a 10 year old as fundamentals, neither should you!

Does anyone else have enough kids to have their own leagues? I don’t disagree with any of the points, except am confused by results unless what I see now only translates to the future. Example: In the league that Richlands participates, they are the only team that I am aware of that fields multiple teams, except at the midget level. This includes Tazewell, Lebanon, Honaker, Buchanan Co-combined, Hurley, and now Castlewood, Battle, and Virginia High. I remember a time when Richlands was self-contained with multiple teams, and other areas joined. Is that an example of every school being in bad shape as far as numbers are concerned? Just doing my own analysis and assuming that what is happening post little league might be more or just as influential or the level of play such as Class 1 vs Class 2. Perhaps the smaller schools benefit more creating cohesion by participating in combined leagues? 

15 minutes ago, tornado99 said:

Does anyone else have enough kids to have their own leagues? I don’t disagree with any of the points, except am confused by results unless what I see now only translates to the future. Example: In the league that Richlands participates, they are the only team that I am aware of that fields multiple teams, except at the midget level. This includes Tazewell, Lebanon, Honaker, Buchanan Co-combined, Hurley, and now Castlewood, Battle, and Virginia High. I remember a time when Richlands was self-contained with multiple teams, and other areas joined. Is that an example of every school being in bad shape as far as numbers are concerned? Just doing my own analysis and assuming that what is happening post little league might be more or just as influential or the level of play such as Class 1 vs Class 2. Perhaps the smaller schools benefit more creating cohesion by participating in combined leagues? 

Union still plays in their own league they have 4 teams with a older group and a crunch bunch usually the teams have around 30 players too a team 

4 hours ago, tornado99 said:

Richlands used to have 6 when I was coming up: Baptist Valley Tigers (mix of Richlands and Tazewell kids), Cedar Bluff Blue Devils, Jewell Ridge Red Raiders, Richlands Redskins, Richlands Green Wave and Raven Crimson Tide.  Epic battles between Raven and Baptist Valley when I played.  If I recall one or the other won the championship every year my brother and I played (about a six year span).  Some of my best memories and the rivalries were real.  Then during the week of the Richlands Tazewell game, the Baptist Valley Tigers practice (my team) was nothing but trash talk.  Half the team was from Tazewell end of Baptist Valley and other half was Richlands side and the Bandy boys!  That was the most pad popping week of the season for us!  

1 hour ago, SwvaOG said:

Richlands used to have 6 when I was coming up: Baptist Valley Tigers (mix of Richlands and Tazewell kids), Cedar Bluff Blue Devils, Jewell Ridge Red Raiders, Richlands Redskins, Richlands Green Wave and Raven Crimson Tide.  Epic battles between Raven and Baptist Valley when I played.  If I recall one or the other won the championship every year my brother and I played (about a six year span).  Some of my best memories and the rivalries were real.  Then during the week of the Richlands Tazewell game, the Baptist Valley Tigers practice (my team) was nothing but trash talk.  Half the team was from Tazewell end of Baptist Valley and other half was Richlands side and the Bandy boys!  That was the most pad popping week of the season for us!  

5/6 remained when I was there (Jewel Ridge was gone). Raven and Cedar Bluff won the championship then. We had 2 or 3 Lebanon teams that played. The rivalries were still intense.

7 hours ago, Duke2015 said:

Union still plays in their own league they have 4 teams with a older group and a crunch bunch usually the teams have around 30 players too a team 

Yep. I remember those days. Had the Dolphins, Chargers, Chiefs, and Packers. 

The older groups were called Peanut and the younger group was Crunch Bunch. They’d practice together. Crunch Bunch would usually play their games at halftime and they would each play stand alone games like the 3rd week in. 

In fact I played on the Dolphins with Brad Robbins. 

Phil Robbins was definitely involved and he was watching. You hoped he would notice you if you decided to play for him in high school. 

On 7/24/2023 at 10:35 PM, SwvaOG said:

I was telling someone the other day that they should start him and move the Anderson kid to RB/WR (slot).  Hmmm…with his departure and the rumors regarding the FB being out.  Might have to rethink the M7.

If you’re talking about Chandler being out at FB he’s practicing unless you meant someone else 

On 7/27/2023 at 9:44 AM, JGray said:

Nah. 5-5

I saw today where Amir Hairston had ACL surgery & will miss the season. I hate that for the kid. He can’t catch a break. Broken ankle last year & now this. I hate to see any player get hurt. 

31 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

I saw today where Amir Hairston had ACL surgery & will miss the season. I hate that for the kid. He can’t catch a break. Broken ankle last year & now this. I hate to see any player get hurt. 

I'd heard he wasn't going to play against us. Didn't realize it was that serious. I saw he made the decision to fix it now. Smart move by him. He is a special talent, he will play again somewhere. Heal up and best of luck.

46 minutes ago, CPF said:

I'd heard he wasn't going to play against us. Didn't realize it was that serious. I saw he made the decision to fix it now. Smart move by him. He is a special talent, he will play again somewhere. Heal up and best of luck.

Very smart & mature decision! Wish him a speedy recovery and best wishes for his future football career at the collegiate level. 

On 7/27/2023 at 11:32 AM, GC_Quincy said:

Bingo! I counted 60-70 on the 3 GC little league teams combined for this year and noticed several others were asking how to sign up. A couple of years ago we had 26 players on varsity and thankfully the interest and desire has seemed to have returned. 

Same for RC. The feeder system fell off around 06 or so and was in a serious tailspin.  New folks took over around 2015 or so.  It took a couple of years for them to get their feet under them which in turn led to better turn out.  Didnt hurt that we have 2-3  of the largest classes that have come through RC in a long time coming up then as well.  Numbers rose and the HS program started to see the benefit from it last year.  I expect RC to dress 40+ kids this year on varsity.  

Covid seems to have put a damper on the youth program currently and they are fighting to get more kids out now.  I hope they have a good turnout today for this years program.

18 hours ago, Gridiron60 said:

Hate that for him, that's a big blow for Bluefield.

Class 1 State Title Pick:  Grayson County vs a team named Central in it.  Be it Sussex or Lunenburg.  For the 1st time in a while, it won't one of the regulars like Riverheads (moves up Class 2) or GW, or Galax or Chilhowie or Essex (lost 9 starters on O and D).  Sussex is the one from the East, along with Lunenburg to keep an eye on.  They were both pretty good and return most of their starters   We may even see 4 "new names" to win their regions in Grayson, Honaker and the other 2 from the East.

14 minutes ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Class 1 State Title Pick:  Grayson County vs a team named Central in it.  Be it Sussex or Lunenburg.  For the 1st time in a while, it won't one of the regulars like Riverheads (moves up Class 2) or GW, or Galax or Chilhowie or Essex (lost 9 starters on O and D).  Sussex is the one from the East, along with Lunenburg to keep an eye on.  They were both pretty good and return most of their starters   We may even see 4 "new names" to win their regions in Grayson, Honaker and the other 2 from the East.

Seems like it’s been a long time since Lunenburg been mentioned in title talk.  In the 80s and early 90s I think PV beat them 3-4 times and were all close games 

• 4 months later...